Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_neppu

Make the "shell clipping indicator" warns about friendly ships as well

6 comments in this topic

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles

For sometimes ago, WG has implemented the indicator that warns you when the shell would likely be clipping the islands instead of the target. This feature is useful to some extent (except sometimes that the indicator would pop up even when all the shell would get through just fine) it helps prevent you wasting shots.

Now, the issue is that, it does not warn the players of the shell going to clip the friendly's superstructure. In this case, you are not only wasting shots, but also penalized for friendly fires and be put at risk of turning pink (the clipped HE shell can cause fires on friendlies too). We would be looking at less "accidental" TK'ing from guns.

Your thought?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

True but the thing is... it's not impossible to prevent team damage. Be responsible on your surroundings, don't "tunnel vision":

- Check your map for nearby allies (if map is too small to read, press '+' on your keyboard not numpad)

- While in binocular view, hold-right mouse button to check your surrounding if you're clear to fire

(What do you even do while your gun is reloading??? 10~30 seconds reload is not enough to look your surroundings?)

[PANTS]
39 posts
10,060 battles

I absolutely agree with this idea. The idea of an indicator is not to prevent people from shooting their teammates intentionally, just like the terrain hit indicator. People who want to shoot their team for whatever reason can still do it, but having this indicator is great for players who unintentionally shoots their team because their shell arc is too flat. Such things happen very often with ships that sit in smoke and fire, such as gunboat DDs and smoke cruisers. When you smoke, friendly ships will very likely try to use your smoke to conceal them as well. If they get in front of you and you happen to be shooting at a target too close, well guess what happens. For many ships with fast reload, such as USN DDs, constantly checking for teammates in front is really difficult, since you have to adjust aim all the time and worry about other things on the minimap.

The consequences of accidentally shooting your team can be annoying as well. I have had multiple times when one or two of my HE shells set a friendly ship on fire by accident, and they burned until my name turned pink. So I would love to see this indicator feature implemented, and solving this accidental DOT damage problem would be appreciated as well.

3 posts
I like the idea even if it doesn't stop a friendly from coming in from behind and racing towards the torpedoes you just unleashed on the enemy and connecting with them.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles

(What do you even do while your gun is reloading??? 10~30 seconds reload is not enough to look your surroundings?)

Quite often that you share the smoke with RN cruiser from behind. It's sometime difficult to gauge whether the distance are safe enough to open fire on enemy or not.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Quite often that you share the smoke with RN cruiser from behind. It's sometime difficult to gauge whether the distance are safe enough to open fire on enemy or not.

I went under the smoke session of RN cruiser several times, not impossible to check.

- Lock on one target, hold R-click button. Check the gun's firing angle at certain (number) km target

- Will it hit allies? If not, clear to fire. If yes, make adjustment.

But often my ship's gun platform is taller than RN cruisers' hull because they are small light cruisers after all. Or even in reverse situation that I am a RN cruiser and there's this tall German Cruiser Adm. Hipper in front of my gun turrets, it's not rocket science to check.

If you are indeed just lazy, hope they considered it. But in the absence of such feature you requested, it's not impossible to check.

Sign in to follow this