Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kultabashi

Improvement is NOT impossible

23 comments in this topic

520 posts
11,127 battles

This post is for those who, like me, have a drive to learn and improve in this game.  I hope i can encourage those who strive to become better.  My Gameplay is not stellar BUT.. i know they are not what they used to be.  

I started playing around 2015, when Open Beta was released, and I instantly fell in love with this game.  After Work (and sometimes while at work)  i play a game or two just to relieve stress.   To this date, i Have played 7000+ Battles..  In that set, the first 2500+ battles were very bad. i didn't care for winning random games, i just wanted to shoot, and sink ships and get to better ships.   My win rate was at at an abysmal 40 - 40.5% if i remember correctly. But when I learned about how to play properly from friends and division mates....and i kept track of my stats as a tool to know how i can improve and become better.  

I play My best ships,  Mostly US DDS and The occasional British light cruiser at Tier 7 - 9 mostly with some Low tier action at tier 4.  and I have seen improvement from before which was "very bad" to "average".  I try play to win and influence each battle and im also doing ranked battles, hoping i can get to Rank 1 the 2nd time around (Currently at Rank 5)

My Damage inflicted and Survival Rate is slowly creeping upwards and is a far cry from when i would mostly YOLO and Sink during my 1st minute into the game and barely have any damage made.  And this changed my Win rate from 40% up 50.06% now, and still continues to rise slowly but surely.  (Im a late bloomer, what can i do)  lol, futile as it seems.... numbers are changing currently at .01% for each battle won.. lol  Im optimistic
Warship20Stats_1.jpg

If I keep improving my play style,  Numbers will become much better and i do see this happening in the future.

I post this, to encourage those who strive in random battles.  Improvement is NOT impossible since we can all do better if we wanted to.

-  Play with the objectives in mind, but Dont forget to have fun.
-  Learn to Adapt and look at the mini map.  If a plan is not working as anticipated.... adjust.
-  If others don't know how to play properly,  try to carry and influence the situation for your team.
-  Working in a Division can help improve game play.
-  Learn from your friends who have more battles and experience playing.

-  Statistics are a TOOL to improve in the game,  use it to see what you CAN achieve if you become better.

Edited by kultabashi

980 posts
12,617 battles

-  Learn to Adapt and look at the mini map.  If a plan is not working as anticipated.... adjust.

Cant stress the importance of this. Especially when playing destroyers. 

In my Shiratsuyu, I pretty much spend 80% of the game looking at the minimap. I use it for range gauging against torpedo targets and for stealth firing. Very useful for stealth topping and knowing when to run away. 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Nice post +1

let me share my progress also. maybe it can help EncouRAGE other member 

Rs2DoCL.png

Edited by XP_On

440 posts
3,379 battles

I remember when it was mid last year (I think?) when my WR was an abysmal 45-46%. I was fine with it although kinda bothered with it, until I went into a division with AJ and delta. The result of the battle was just burning me up with shame with those two in the top three while I'm in the bottom, so I swore to myself that I would better my play so that something like that won't happen again. Now, although a small progress I now have a winrate of 48.49% while also checking every battle have I done good or not. And I'm a potato so if I can than so can any potato in this game to get better.

Just sharing a story :P

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

-  Learn from your friends who have more battles and experience playing.

This is somehow ironic that even though my friend has double the amount of battles that i have (4k compare to my 2k battles) , i have more experience than him. :teethhappy:

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I remember when it was mid last year (I think?) when my WR was an abysmal 45-46%. I was fine with it although kinda bothered with it, until I went into a division with AJ and delta. The result of the battle was just burning me up with shame with those two in the top three while I'm in the bottom, so I swore to myself that I would better my play so that something like that won't happen again. Now, although a small progress I now have a winrate of 48.49% while also checking every battle have I done good or not. And I'm a potato so if I can than so can any potato in this game to get better.

Just sharing a story :P

I don't know what i should feel here... Sorry for making you feel bad or happy for motivating you... I'd still help if you want... and I think i've tried inviting you into division a few times...

But hey if it helps I'm happy to do so... 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

This is somehow ironic that even though my friend has double the amount of battles that i have (4k compare to my 2k battles) , i have more experience than him. :teethhappy:

then you should try teach him then....

455 posts
8,038 battles

Wow finally some positivity here is a fresh change. I'd also like to add that we should play for fun and laugh at our own mistakes. Improvement is great but it's a gradual process. In fact for me it takes time to learn every new ship even after playing other ships of the same class.

520 posts
11,127 battles

Thanks all!    Kudos to those patient enough with me during Divisions.  Captains MeloMelonSoda, HeroofWind and Renegade were instrumental.  Also Very entertaining vids of Eurobeat also helped me see the FUNNY side of this game.  it really does require alot of effort, specially when playing alone in a Random team.  The Key is to KNOW YOUR SHIP, I have pretty much stopped collecting different classes and concentrated on a Few.

Also, another thing that helped me, is to be receptive to criticism.  Specially coming from LEGIT experienced players.  Listen, Learn and Apply... oh.. and Have fun doing it:P:

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

collecting different classes

nothing wrong with collecting them, let them in your port for view only. and play only the ship you found Fun to be plaayed :D 

520 posts
11,127 battles

nothing wrong with collecting them, let them in your port for view only. and play only the ship you found Fun to be plaayed :D 

Lol... i know i SUCK at IJN cruisers... i dunno why, but i just cant seem to play them properly.  I have them in port... but i feel bad for ignoring Myoko and Mogami:P lol

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Mini map usage is very important,also remember:

-The + and - keys will enlarge and shrink it,so make it as big as you can depending on your monitor size so you can see what the enemy ships positions are more clearly

-Clicking the little gear symbol to the top right of the map gives you options you can play with

Also in conjunction with the mini map you should also look around when you can at what might be shooting at you can dodge incoming fire.

Other tips:

WASD,most important to help avoid shots.If the spotted symbol shows up you should start doing it straight away in case you get fired on.Once you can identify ships that are shooting at you can then try and dodge shots as they are incoming.

Don't sail broadside.If you are doing this and getting big damaging shots on you it because the enemy can hit the vulnerable parts of your ship easier( unless your in a Nurnberg,which can be damaged easily from any angle!).In a BB only swing your tail out when you are about to fire all your guns,then swing it back in to make you a harder target.After a while you can do this while timing the rudder to get it happening as fast as possible.In a cruiser just WASD as above at all times while engaged.

If you right click while firing in a cruiser,you can look around while still left clicking to fire at the enemy.If the enemy isn't dodging you will still get hits in till you look back and adjust again.

Also if you aren't already,try AP in cruisers,you can get some good hits sometimes even on BB with it.If its not working switch back to HE.

Thanks all!    Kudos to those patient enough with me during Divisions.  Captains MeloMelonSoda, HeroofWind and Renegade were instrumental.  Also Very entertaining vids of Eurobeat also helped me see the FUNNY side of this game.  it really does require alot of effort, specially when playing alone in a Random team.  The Key is to KNOW YOUR SHIP, I have pretty much stopped collecting different classes and concentrated on a Few.

Also, another thing that helped me, is to be receptive to criticism.  Specially coming from LEGIT experienced players.  Listen, Learn and Apply... oh.. and Have fun doing it:P:

Yeah,best thing to do is keep an eye out for what players are saying/doing.Even small tips can help a lot.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Lol... i know i SUCK at IJN cruisers... i dunno why, but i just cant seem to play them properly.  I have them in port... but i feel bad for ignoring Myoko and Mogami:P lol

i plaay them in coop.

my calculation is in 2 month i will get shira

440 posts
3,379 battles

I don't know what i should feel here... Sorry for making you feel bad or happy for motivating you... I'd still help if you want... and I think i've tried inviting you into division a few times...

But hey if it helps I'm happy to do so... 

Just be happy you and delta indirectly motivated me, at least it had a good effect on me. I kinda prefer playing solo but maybe sometime soon :)

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,573 battles

i went from 49% to now 51%, good run for awhile but the game say no more and everyday is just continous losing

hope dont happen to you because it's frustrating

goodluck and have fun

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

then you should try teach him then....

It's not like he's bad but it's like his situation awareness is close to 0 so he's usually got jumped by DD's torpedoes so whenever i div up with him, i have to warn him of potential DD locations.

Ps: ofc without using RDF/RL.

Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

307 posts
6,412 battles

Thank you for sharing, it seems we are all struggling with our own objectives.  It is very inspirational.  I am doing the same thing, working on my mini-map skills and stop my tunnel visioning which always always gets me into trouble.   I still do the noob thing of running into islands but i now think.  What is my escape plan, where should i drop smoke if i am a DD, can i help an exposed Cruiser with my smoke, i never sit in the smoke unless its late in the game and only BB are seen and i can burn them.  Still crappy WR but its going up... slowly but surely.  I also do not like taking the easy way out, i generally take ships that either do not work with me or are not popular.  But your story inspires me to continue what i have been doing.

Thank you!

683 posts
7,338 battles

Nice post :)

I was not good when I first started too. But with the help of friends I made in this community, I slowly improve myself and found where should I stand.

First thing is always aware of your surroundings.

Second is to summarize at the end of the battle, win or lose. What did I do wrong? What did I do right/great? Can this achievement be reproduced? What are the mistakes should I avoid?

Always looking forward everyone gets better together and enjoy the game together :)

223 posts
8,238 battles

Even the best of the bests can't win a battle simply by carrying. This game is about teamplay...Eh? Teamplay? On this server? Hmmm...never mind then, i'll take back my words :D 

62 posts
254 battles

I post this, to encourage those who strive in random battles.  Improvement is NOT impossible since we can all do better if we wanted to.

Related image

Image result for just do it shia labeouf gif

Edited by WarpZone

Sign in to follow this