You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Storm_Raiser

Question about Soviet DD's

10 comments in this topic

415 posts
10,918 battles

After the recent Soviet DD reshuffle I find myself with Ognevoi with 8 point captain and Kiev with a 12 point captain but only enough credits and free XP to bring one of them up to full spec and can't decide which.

So I'm hoping some of you guys can help me choose by sharing some of your insights on these 2 ships.

It seems to me Kiev really needs a 14 point captain to be really effective and i really wasn't enjoying her before the shuffle ... but then Oggy was horrible at her old tier and I'm unsure if the new 10km torps will be that useful with their low speed.

Your thoughts?

307 posts
6,413 battles

After the recent Soviet DD reshuffle I find myself with Ognevoi with 8 point captain and Kiev with a 12 point captain but only enough credits and free XP to bring one of them up to full spec and can't decide which.

So I'm hoping some of you guys can help me choose by sharing some of your insights on these 2 ships.

It seems to me Kiev really needs a 14 point captain to be really effective and i really wasn't enjoying her before the shuffle ... but then Oggy was horrible at her old tier and I'm unsure if the new 10km torps will be that useful with their low speed.

Your thoughts?

Can't say much about the Oggy as i havent got it, TashKent and Udaloi  my thoughts are pretty much the same about the RU DD's as i have been trialing them in Co-Op, Still "high speed GUN ships" ...

Before; I had my Udi in a perfect setup, then the update occurred, lost my B-Hull, seems to have a AA buff, with the Torps reduced to 6kms so it is basically a support DD now with plenty of gun firepower and AA defense. I am thinking of setting up the captain to do more AA and i am thinking it seems still very good once i get the B-Hull back.

Terms of my "free" ship that i recently sold the "Trashcan" with a 9pt Captain.... it's pretty much the same but with Longer range 60km/hr torps.  It does have the option for a in-game "heal", but it is such a big ship and gets rained on without the smoke option.  Since it has the ability to act as a Gun/Torp ship, i do not believe the heal will benefit as much as the smoke will since it has such a small HP count and it it depletes so quick and its so dam LOOOOOONNNNGGG that even a stray shell can hit it.

I am still not convinced that the Trashcan will be any better .... considering its move up a tier.

I believe they wanted more multi-function style DD's .... it may be a hit/miss in some of the tiers. 

All in all I think they wanted these ranges to be alot different to other DD's.

Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

2,222 posts
13,723 battles

I would upgrade the Kiev captain simply because the sooner you have a 19pt captain the sooner you can earn elite xp and upgrade the other. Although IMO free XP is to hard to earn to be spent on a captain.

295 posts
6,613 battles

I just get my tashkent for free, which is I never get before the update due to people saying it's a bad ship, and I think I know the reason now, my kiev in tier 7 is so much better than this ship, the ship is so big and turn really slow making evasive manuevers really hard, and everyone will shooting at you because well, it's a gunboat and you will constantly firing, but when you're not focusing down by the enemies the ship can be great because of the firepower and 15km gun range

307 posts
6,413 battles

I just get my tashkent for free, which is I never get before the update due to people saying it's a bad ship, and I think I know the reason now, my kiev in tier 7 is so much better than this ship, the ship is so big and turn really slow making evasive manuevers really hard, and everyone will shooting at you because well, it's a gunboat and you will constantly firing, but when you're not focusing down by the enemies the ship can be great because of the firepower and 15km gun range

Hence my point that the in-game heal will only prolong the agony of death by thousand cuts .... you have nowhere to hide, people can see you for miles and hit you easy as its just too dam big.   The torps are slow and weak damage compared to the level its playing ... while you have 3 sets they easy to avoid, even in Co_Op.   Its not that it doesnt have long range good guns, or long range torps, it just isnt good enough to be a T9 DD or even compete for a zone cap.... too easy to hit with Torps, or Fire from ships all over the map.   The heal option even with higher HP, makes this ship a sitting duck without smoke. 
Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

66 posts
9,624 battles

You should check out Flamu's YouTube channel about the re-spec'd Russian DD's... most of them and the new ones are quite good, specially the Ogi and Kiev. The only one that's a problem child is the new Tier X.

Just remember they have a completely different play style than both the IJN and USN DD's... use the speed and accurate guns as your lynch pin's, though some now also have good torps.

415 posts
10,918 battles

You should check out Flamu's YouTube channel about the re-spec'd Russian DD's... most of them and the new ones are quite good, specially the Ogi and Kiev. The only one that's a problem child is the new Tier X.

Just remember they have a completely different play style than both the IJN and USN DD's... use the speed and accurate guns as your lynch pin's, though some now also have good torps.

Thanks, I will do that ... I use Flamu's Bismarck build and have seen a few of his vids.

307 posts
6,413 battles

Really,  we had 3 trashkents in our team and all where the first ones to go down.   I am a shitty player for sure .... but i have never seen a ship that has little going for it,  16 point captain, used all the recommendations they say on wiki and its fully upgraded and i have a 0-4 winrate with it.   I realized i cannot use this ship at tier 9... with the same guns as the Kiev and easy to avoid torps.    Only the Emden i have a winrate as low as this.... its going to rust in the dock until they either buff it or give me a refund.   I love DD's and i had a 55% winrate with the Udaloi so either i need to change the way i play or basically i am just crap.

66 posts
9,624 battles

Really,  we had 3 trashkents in our team and all where the first ones to go down.   I am a shitty player for sure .... but i have never seen a ship that has little going for it,  16 point captain, used all the recommendations they say on wiki and its fully upgraded and i have a 0-4 winrate with it.   I realized i cannot use this ship at tier 9... with the same guns as the Kiev and easy to avoid torps.    Only the Emden i have a winrate as low as this.... its going to rust in the dock until they either buff it or give me a refund.   I love DD's and i had a 55% winrate with the Udaloi so either i need to change the way i play or basically i am just crap.

Dont play the Trash like it's a DD... at all... its a small CL that you zoom around in lighting fires and killing enemy by a thousand mozzie bites... it's AP can citadel broadsided CA's quite well too....