Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ScoiattoloSovietico

What is the best way to attack Scharnhorst and Dunkerque

21 comments in this topic

9 posts
3,126 battles

I usually use Fuso in tier6 battles. and I was always scared with Scharnhorst and Dunkerque as opponent. My type 41 36cm cannon cannot pierce their armour in any angle. Especially Dunkerque, with its all main batteries forward, I cannot even aim at its belt, and it could easily pierce my main belt armour with its 343mm cannons. Sometimes I even think this must be a bug.

So anyone have ideas about this?

Thanks

23 posts
5,090 battles

For me i have played fuso for a while and i don't see why the dunkek is a threat to the fuso :wander_cap: since fuso has greater armor, fire power and some what secondaries. The scharnorst / gneisenau are absolutely dangerous since they have deadly torp that can send you to the bottom with a pefect salvo :hiding: but not as dangerous as tier 8 BBs that can overmatch your entire ship :trollface:

So i mostly deal with them like this: 

Dunkek: Stay angle and aim for the guns or superstructure. Dunker has only 2 turret so disabling them is a big advantage for you

Scharnhorst / gneisenau or pretty much german BBs: Stay at range (>6km / >10km) and aim for guns / superstructure if bow on or the belt if they are showing that juicy broadside :izmena:

Good luck dealing with them next time :great: 

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

Dunkerque is only a threat to Fuso when it's bow is facing you. When it does, aim for the superstructure. Much better when you have HE loaded.

Scharnhorst...just fire long range shots. Plunging fire is a bane to German BBs. At less than 15km, and if Scharn's bow is facing you as well, just aim for the superstructure, also much better if you have HE loaded.

Basically that's what to do if any BB is facing it's bow directly towards you or if the enemy BB is angled.

And in both cases, stay angled. 

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

If you bow on or keep well angled, you can be well protected against both 283mm and 330mm guns of Scharnhorst and Dunkerque. You can use HE to burn these ships if they keep angled or bow on. Switch to AP for higher damage if they decide to show broadside.

341 posts
4,020 battles

One way to brawl battleships with 15 inch guns or larger, that can overmatch a Fuso's bow is to stay angled in a way that you bait them into shooting your belt armour rather than your weaker bow. I've actually outbrawled Gneisenau and North Carolina with Fuso just by playing with my angle, a bit like I'm driving a massive cruiser. 

When shooting German battleships, sometimes it's better to go for the superstructure and upper belt. You can't reliably citadel them at medium or shorter ranges, but I find myself dealing massive regular basis penetration damage when I don't go for citadels.

As for the Dunkerque, like everyone else says, go for the guns and superstructure. I don't see the Dunkerque as much of a threat because its guns are actually smaller than Fuso's and can't overmatch your bow if you stay angled. If you need it sunk, you could try getting around it. It's fairly squishy on the sides anyway.

Reading a bit about how shells work will also help you.

-From a Fuso lover.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

When shooting German battleships, sometimes it's better to go for the superstructure and upper belt. You can't reliably citadel them at medium or shorter ranges, but I find myself dealing massive regular basis penetration damage when I don't go for citadels.

This,although I have been playing the hell out of German BB since release,and heard about aiming at the upper belt to do better damage,I didn't actually use it till early this year.

Aim just below the deck level and you can get decent damage on them.

And as xXRo_500Xx mentions stay at least 6km from Scharnhorts/Gneisanu and Tirptiz so you are out of range of their torps,and preferably 7km away in case they have secondary builds with AFT and Manual Secondaries.

[ATLAS]
50 posts
10,437 battles

Cant damage the enemy ship coz he bow on towards u? Good ole HE will do the trick

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

Fuso with 12 guns! Just HE and see how fast they melt.

However, if you get broadside of any of these 2, Fuso should be able to murder them. If you can't that would mean that you need to fix your aiming.

I don't even consider Scharnhorst a threat when I'm playing a BB. That thing is a super heavy cruiser :P

9 posts
3,126 battles

One way to brawl battleships with 15 inch guns or larger, that can overmatch a Fuso's bow is to stay angled in a way that you bait them into shooting your belt armour rather than your weaker bow. I've actually outbrawled Gneisenau and North Carolina with Fuso just by playing with my angle, a bit like I'm driving a massive cruiser.

As for the Dunkerque, like everyone else says, go for the guns and superstructure. I don't see the Dunkerque as much of a threat because its guns are actually smaller than Fuso's and can't overmatch your bow if you stay angled. If you need it sunk, you could try getting around it. It's fairly squishy on the sides anyway.

Reading a bit about how shells work will also help you.

-From a Fuso lover.

Uhh, I got two citadel hits by a Dunkerque one time, and I did nothing damage to it within 30 degrees an other time. Of course that times I was using AP but do nothing damage in small angle makes non sense, so that makes me upset.

I still wonder that why it could easily pierce my citadel. seems not reasonable.

341 posts
4,020 battles

Uhh, I got two citadel hits by a Dunkerque one time, and I did nothing damage to it within 30 degrees an other time. Of course that times I was using AP but do nothing damage in small angle makes non sense, so that makes me upset.

I still wonder that why it could easily pierce my citadel. seems not reasonable.

If Dunkerque is citadelling you, you're showing too much broadside. Are you aware about armour angling?

Angling is what wins a BB Brawl. The first person to give it up at the wrong moment tends to be the loser.

563 posts
4,686 battles

I don't even consider Scharnhorst a threat when I'm playing a BB. That thing is a super heavy cruiser :P

FYI Scharnhorst wrecks even T9 BBs in a brawl. This "super heavy cruiser" can bounce Yamato shell bow on.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

FYI Scharnhorst wrecks even T9 BBs in a brawl. This "super heavy cruiser" can bounce Yamato shell bow on.

I know, but I also know where to hit a Scharnhorst to kill it in 3 salvo.

[BRU]
279 posts
2,079 battles

At its broadside.

But not all people give you that.

And its citadel is kinda hard to hit.:hiding:

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

General rule of engaging and defeating KM BBs, you deal with them before they come to boarding distance. You wither them down when they are still 8-10 km apart. Because you can deal a lot of damage with just deck pens and super structure. But once they get very close, your shells will tend to hit their sides and bow which you are not going to do much. and they have torpedoes (T7, Tirpitz). Although unless you are really low HP, those torps arent much of a deal. You are expected to dodge at least 2.

Sign in to follow this