Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

Grinding to Tier X

34 comments in this topic

341 posts
4,007 battles

Since I've found my footing with cruisers and am performing decently in my Myoko, I've decided to dedicate this year's play to getting Zao.

As you know, I'm maybe average (feel free to check my stats) and I enjoy the line right now (though I fear Mogami will be a bit hard to get used to) so gameplay is not an issue. Also, I'm sitting on 50 million silvers so I don't think I'll go broke.

But I am rather busy with work and often only play on (cringe) weekends right now, making maybe 10k exp per week with no camouflages or experience flags mounted (The Christmas mission ate most of them D: ). I also don't intend to spend much money ( if at all). 

Can you guys give me your best advice on how to grind most efficiently, and how to make the most out of it?

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

play a similar ship first to make your self warmed up

then go for first win bonus on the ship.

also for me, when i try hard to grind something, i stop playig other ship that different from that ship. (example, when i grind Gunboat DD, i even stop playing BB / CL / Torp DD)

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Camo + flag

then Play ship you dont realy like to grind when there is stuff like 200% bonus

then you can pass the ship in no time, without feeling stressed over it

If you like the ship you grinding, then you should enjoy it 

rather than worried over the target you want to achive

Fun first lads

411 posts
6,164 battles

Store signals and camos(the ones with xp bonus) and if possible, premium time(specially the ones offered in campaign). They come in really handy when u face the unreasonable ships in a line.... :) 

435 posts
6,169 battles

I agree with XP_On, strictly focus on one ship at a time, Myoko, Mogami and then the Ibuki.

Also save all your signals and flags for the Ibuki, it’s the biggest grind or at least enough for 200 battles.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

980 posts
12,617 battles

I disagree. 

I am currently grinding every ship of every line, and as soon as I get a win on a ship for the day, I move on to another ship. 

In the long term, you have maximum grinding efficiency if you get the first win bonus for as many ships as possible. But of course, its more painful. 

435 posts
6,169 battles

I disagree.

I am currently grinding every ship of every line, and as soon as I get a win on a ship for the day, I move on to another ship.

In the long term, you have maximum grinding efficiency if you get the first win bonus for as many ships as possible. But of course, its more painful.

When I focus on a single ship my aim improves 10 fold, especially switching targets and firing that first salvo, landing those first hits makes a difference. But when I’m changing ships alot then my aim becomes generalized and then it takes a few salvos to hone in on target, all artillery and shells flights on each ship is different.

Also my kill rate goes up and I get more Krakens and all the ship stats tend to spike. Also I discover more “Don’t do's" with the ship, overall ship sailing improves, focusing is far better for the grind, you just get ahead faster.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

683 posts
7,345 battles

I'm towards Buckle and Xp_On. I'd personally prefer to focus on a ship if I'm grinding hard for the line (e.g. when I was grinding for Hindenburg) game by game and continuously recall what goods and bads you did with the ship will improve your performance on that ship significantly, thus making it a faster and more enjoyable grind. For example after several match I enjoyed Roon, but when I revisit her after I got Hindenburg and was playing KM BB, I having difficulty in playing her... feel sad though.
Daily bonus? Well, if got the time maybe after you had enough of grinding the target ship or MM decides to troll on you, then you can play your other ships which may benefit from daily bonus.

Good luck mate, Zao is a nice ship, don't have her myself, but unicums I know said she is good.

Edit: the above doesn't apply to FDG. 

Edit 2: credits... be careful, you might find a bit tight by tier 8.

Edited by Darkworld_2015

440 posts
3,379 battles

I would just keep playing that line when I want to grind it and when it's for the first battle dress the ship all nice and pretty with camo and signals (the ones that boost ship xp of course), and when I'm bored grinding or I died and the ship is still in battle I would play other ships just as a filler. I know this works for me when I went through the USN CA line (but kinda quit in New Orleans :P)

980 posts
12,617 battles

When I focus on a single ship my aim improves 10 fold, especially switching targets and firing that first salvo, landing those first hits makes a difference. But when I’m changing ships alot then my aim becomes generalized and then it takes a few salvos to hone in on target, all artillery and shells flights on each ship is different.

Also my kill rate goes up and I get more Krakens and all the ship stats tend to spike. 

You make me laugh. 

So you are blaming your lack of accuracy on the ship? Mate it's the manoeuvring of the target that puts your aim off, your shell flight time doesn't change if you aim better. Not using a ship for a while doesn't change the shell flight time. 

Exactly how many krakens have you had? Do you get 1 krakens per game? 

435 posts
6,169 battles

You make me laugh.

So you are blaming your lack of accuracy on the ship? Mate it's the manoeuvring of the target that puts your aim off, your shell flight time doesn't change if you aim better. Not using a ship for a while doesn't change the shell flight time.

Good grief man, not the ship, practice, practice, practice was the point. But you might not understand it if you're just aiming at great big grey burly broadsides. :teethhappy:

When you play a ship a lot, the odds eventually work out in your favour and a game will accrue that will jockey into a kraken achievement. :playing::coin::amazed::honoring:

Sorry you miss both points of view. :rolleyes:

Edited by BuckleUpBones

411 posts
6,164 battles

You make me laugh. 

I disagree... aiming is different in case of different ships, there are also matters like shell velocity, dispersion, sigma etc which means that shooting the same way for two different ships will always yield two different results...:smart_fish:

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

Time flies by. Even if you just gradually keep grinding, you will get there eventually. I am also a weekend player (with average of 4 games per day and 31st Dec 2016 (like 6 months of playing) I got my first T10. Now I don't even remember how I passed T8s and T9s to be honest. Also I do not use premium account.

112 posts
5,463 battles

I am completing the IJN CA grind myself (who knows I haven't before...). It is one of the strongest lines I have played, it only took me 4 playing days to grind through the Mogami to get to Ibuki (where I am currently). NB I customised the captain for it (IFHE) which made it a lot easier and I use premium time. I managed a 65% win rate in her. If premium time or a lesser win rate/exp earned with 'average' stats were factored in I guess it could take maybe 10 playing days? So 5 weekends? Definitely achievable. I am guessing the Ibuki --> Zao grind to take maybe double that amount of time so say 10 weekends of play for you? Also definitely achievable in a year.

On the topic of mogami - IMO it was the most fun out of the grind (weird right?). She is an absolute monster with IFHE spec. If you are ever going to spend dubloons on retraining a captain in game, this is the ship to do it for. 

Good luck!

112 posts
5,463 battles

And to clarify IFHE spec for Mogami I mean keep with the 155mm guns.

Captain skills in order of priority as follows:

Line 1: Priority target

Line 2: Expert Marksman

Line 3: Demo expert

Line 4: concealment

by this stage you'll have a fire spitting machine even if shells dont do too much damage individually.

Next you want to save another 4 points (without spending them on anything else) for;

Line 4: IFHE

Then:

Line 2: Adrenaline rush

Line 3: BoS  (not really necessary on Mogami but there is very little else to use it on).

NB: This only works if you are intending to respec the captain for Ibuki and above. IFHE on Ibuki and above is counter-productive and will only lead to less fires.

1,340 posts
8,832 battles

Personally I prefer to play to play every ship line and type. CVs, BBs, DDs, everything. Once I win the daily bonus for that ship, I move to another.

Two reasons: One is that I don't have that much playing time, so it is more efficient that way. The other is it is more interesting that way. I find that I get bored very easily if I grind 1 ship all day. Variety is the spice of life after all! :)

My advice is actually to forget about grinding ships and just play for fun. Play the ships you like. You will get everything eventually. Less likely you will get burnt-out too. IMO there is really no point in grinding 1 ship unless you need a particular ship for Ranked or something. Or there is some reshuffling in the Tiers like with the Russian and IJN DD splits.

But ultimately it is up to the player. If you really want to grind to a ship, just do what others said. Stack Camo, flags and get premium time if you don't mind spending money or doubloons, especially when there are events that boost the daily win bonus.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
176 posts
6,423 battles

Enjoy the trip there not the destination, it's often cold and lonely at the end, have fun along the way, don't think of it as a grind, hard with some cruisers but still. 

250 posts
13,154 battles

You want T10 ship

- stock up your flag and camo (you should take part every weekly mission for some reward)

​- pick up your low tier favorite ship to farm medal (you also gain flag from this even T1 game) and warm up your finger

- take aim how much XP you can get in 1 day

​- if you are able to invest, suggest premium time for faster grind (you can get from certain mission or go back to WoT if you have account on it for mission that gives you premium time) or camo/flag

​- focusing on single line is nice, but you need some ship in case of your grind fked up that day

​- L2U ship you play, this should help you perform better hence more XP per match

GL HF captain

341 posts
4,007 battles

Arise, old thread, once thought long dead.

I'm on schedule to get to Mogami by today or tomorrow now. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Could I get tips on what captain build is recommended for a captain that will eventually be moved to Tier X? I'm at 13 skill points with the normal Priority- Marksman- DE- CE build but I'm not sure about what skill to pursue now. I'm also not sure about whether to go for the Rudder Mod 3 builds or the concealment ones, and would like advice on both. Same for reload or range modules.

Also, would you sell the Myoko (I mean, I have all 4 ARP and Dragon too.)

Edited by InterconKW

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

I sold it. Even though i collect all ship, a clone ship like omaha, texas, Kongo, myoko have no place in my port

Edited by XP_On

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,573 battles

Arise, old thread, once thought long dead.

I'm on schedule to get to Mogami by today or tomorrow now. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Could I get tips on what captain build is recommended for a captain that will eventually be moved to Tier X? I'm at 13 skill points with the normal Priority- Marksman- DE- CE build but I'm not sure about what skill to pursue now. I'm also not sure about whether to go for the Rudder Mod 3 builds or the concealment ones, and would like advice on both. Same for reload or range modules.

Also, would you sell the Myoko (I mean, I have all 4 ARP and Dragon too.)

so how is mogami? i dont get the fun playing this ship as i keep getting into T10 and T10 cruisers and bb is too much for mogami

i spec mine priority-marksman-SI(for T9 and up) and concealment for now as those the only points i have

as for myoko still keep mine and play it sometimes even i have all the arp..also the arp is pointless to spend time on as the capt is not moveable 

Sign in to follow this