You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
unknownaussie

Why is the ramming in this game so crap?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
153 posts
3,490 battles

so i just rammed the broadside of a full health yamato with my missouri and only did 80k damage now in the real world a iowa class battleship going 31 knots bow into the broadside of any ship will not live at that speed no way in hell

Beta Tester
153 posts
3,490 battles

seriously wargaming needs to add a new system that calculates damage based on speed size of the ship doing the ramming vs the size of the ship being rammed and angle of impact 

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

seriously wargaming needs to add a new system that calculates damage based on speed size of the ship doing the ramming vs the size of the ship being rammed and angle of impact 

Sounds easy, how about you go and do it yourself and present it to WG?

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

shiroyasha im not a coder otherwise id do it for them and make them pay me for it lol but seriously would a system that works like that be better?

Maybe you shouldn't demand too much from WG and make it sounds so easy because you don't know how hard it is to make something like that. They already gave you a game to play. Don't just go and demand some trivial things like that.

Super Tester
802 posts

Ramming mechanics take two ships mass into account. Size is irrelevant.

[quote name=

The mechanics for ramming are quite simple, and can be described as the following:

• Two parameters are used when calculating ramming damage; the mass (base Hit Points) of the colliding ships, and their relative speed to each other.
  • The location of the impact and the armor thickness of the ships play no role in determining the damage inflicted.
  • The remaining amount of HP of the colliding ships do not matter, only their base (maximum) HP is used in the ramming calculation.
  • Damage inflicted in ramming is applied to the ship's Universal HP pool.
  • The maximum damage from a collision in each pair of colliding ships can not exceed the lowest base HP between the two ships. E.g. if the Erie collides with the Yamato, the maximum amount of damage Erie and Yamato will each inflict on one another is worth the base HP of Erie.
  • If the ramming damage received exceeds 10% of the ship's base HP, the ship will also take flooding damage, provided it survived the ram.
  • Collision between allied ships will not cause flooding, and ramming damage is reduced by a considerably large factor.
  • If two ships collide but neither are destroyed, and physical contact continues, the ramming calculation is repeated in fairly rapid intervals until contact is broken or one ship is destroyed.

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Ramming mechanics take two ships mass into account. Size is irrelevant.

Is that information still relevant? I thought it was simply that if you touch the other ship their base xp is taken from yours and vice versa. That way at least 1 ship must die instantly, meaning no repeat calculations, no relative speed, etc...

Super Tester
1,310 posts

Is that information still relevant? I thought it was simply that if you touch the other ship their base xp is taken from yours and vice versa. That way at least 1 ship must die instantly, meaning no repeat calculations, no relative speed, etc...

actually...

i did try it long time ago when i got 1 vs 1 in tier 1 battle

both of us rammed each other.

none of us instantly died

EchgUUT.jpg

435 posts
6,169 battles

Ramming is just a last minute, desperate action as result from someone tactical failure (or both) .

There shouldn't be too much burden given to the game performance is this area.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

1,386 posts
8,249 battles

In real life Yamato wouldn't allow Missouri to get into point blank range afloat, nor would Missouri let Yamato. Ramming in Dreadnought era is a very uncommon event.

I would agree that replacing the current simple mechanism with a better one can make the game more realistic. But as a server based game, WG may not have enough server power to do it. Also there are more important stuff to fix than ramming mechanism.

[APS]
80 posts
6,459 battles

Ramming is an artifact of distance compression. Be more realistic to have enemies pass through each other.

Friendlies, they did collide so that should happen and really hurt.

Not great game design..

Super Tester
802 posts

Yes the information is still up to date and works as Amade has described it. There has been no changes to ramming mechanics since it the last changes were made circa CBT.

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Yes the information is still up to date and works as Amade has described it. There has been no changes to ramming mechanics since it the last changes were made circa CBT.

Ok. So I take it then if you the ship most likely to survive you want to limit impact speed as much as possible, and vice versa if you are going to die.