You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

MMR for Warships?

21 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

It appears that WG has continually stated it does not intend to have any form of matchmaking rating, in order to reduce queue times while waiting for games.  After continuously having my team's other flank feed the enemy in the past few patches, I would really beg to differ.

I would highly suggest some form of MMR for world of warships, skill-based ranking systems for team v team games exist, and have already been implemented in many other games.  Given world of warship's random battles have 12 players aside, it appears perfectly reasonable to have players assigned to each side according to player skill level, so that the cumulative skill rating would be similar, while not significantly increasing queue time.  At the very least, this makes people have more faith in MM than pure RNG (which it currently is).  It is not fun to have some potatoes poor players on your team while enemy has triple Rank 1 divs on that flank.  It is also not fun to watch the other flank on your team feed the enemy even though they are pushing against half their number of ships...

In fact, I would think having at least some semblance of MMR would make more players satisfied with (or at least not dissatisfied with) matchmaking.  There are times when you club hard and get wins in 7 minutes, and times your team absolutely gets slaughtered.  There are also times when your division is literally the only division going for objectives while your team sit at their spawn and camp.  These times are not fun, and it would greatly help if WG would at least try to design MM in a way to mitigate such annoying situations.

[BRU]
279 posts
2,067 battles

Judging by your stats, you're a unicum. If a skill-based MM was implemented, how long will you have to wait just to have a full 12v12 match with other purple players? And if ever MM does find a game for you, are you willing to always get into a 7v7, 3v3 or, 1v1 game, as long as they're like you stats-wise?

And even that is not a guarantee that bad games in which a team gets flattened in less than 10 minutes will NEVER happen.

Then there's the issue with divisions. If a purple player wants to div with his friend who's green, how would such a MM deal with that?

I think skill MM should be just left to more competitive game modes like Ranked or Team Battles (and possibly, clan battles).

1,105 posts

2 scharhornst+1Hiryu on enemy division team......

2 Nagato + me (hiryu) on my team.....

5 DD+Saipan on enemy team.....

4 DD (2 noob DD killed in 4 min) + me (hiryu) on my team.....

bayern (my team) VS ARP takao (enemy)......

enemy : Saipan, Belfast, Schanrhost, Lo Yang in one team...... << Premium TEAM LOL

my team : no premium.....

.....you know the result already....

i dont mind about the bad MM, just release the the tier 7 Graf Zeppelin+Messerschmitt 262 jet fighter+Frits X bomb+16 main turret 150mm+creating aircraft consummable..... so i can sunk all ship!

1,105 posts

Judging by your stats, you're a unicum. If a skill-based MM was implemented, how long will you have to wait just to have a full 12v12 match with other purple players? 

nope, he will get a noob team instead of pro opponent LOL... so total team MMR will same as enemy :V

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

Judging by your stats, you're a unicum. If a skill-based MM was implemented, how long will you have to wait just to have a full 12v12 match with other purple players? And if ever MM does find a game for you, are you willing to always get into a 7v7, 3v3 or, 1v1 game, as long as they're like you stats-wise?

Mirror Matchmaking might work here. If you are in a benson and are a unicum, the enemy T8 DD will also be a unicum. Time to create matches will take more time but it might make battles more fair.

TBH I don't want MMR. Just pointing out that it is possible.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I agree with you about there needs changes in the MM... At the same time Divisions cannot be balanced by any MM and I don't think the games you thought of have divisions like WoWs has(I don't play lot of online games tho)... But From my experience Online Games have both Random or Team battles... where as per now WG only has Random battles (even Ranked is random)...

It is not that hard to change the MM but like everyone complains queue times will increase...That for me is not a problem I can wait 5mins for a fair enough match other than having whole potato team either as a friendly or as an enemy...It is just a thing of either you wanna enjoy the game as a team or rage over the team's mistakes (do good and lose the match)...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[BRU]
279 posts
2,067 battles

Mirror Matchmaking might work here. If you are in a benson and are a unicum, the enemy T8 DD will also be a unicum. Time to create matches will take more time but it might make battles more fair.

TBH I don't want MMR. Just pointing out that it is possible.

I would prefer that kind of matchmaking for more competitive modes such as Ranked/Team Battles as well as in the future, clan battles.

Personally, I would not like to wait eons just to get into a game.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,557 battles

wows in it's current state

in each team there are:

4-5 dumbshit that have no idea what they are doing

4-5 avrage players who try to the right things

1-4 unicums who carry the whole team by playing the objectives and rekting any members of the enemy team he catches out if position

seems balanced to me lel

455 posts
8,038 battles

wows in it's current state

in each team there are:

4-5 dumbshit that have no idea what they are doing

4-5 avrage players who try to the right things

1-4 unicums who carry the whole team by playing the objectives and rekting any members of the enemy team he catches out if position

seems balanced to me lel

And then you find unicum division in enemy team which throws Balance down the trash

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

It's impossible to have MMR in this game. There are too many factors to determine your skill. Base it off WR? You can get carried by the 6-11 other teammates. Base it off Base exp? If you play CV, your MMR will be 0. Even good players will be swamped in their performance by playing horrible stock ships etc (those who do not pay to free xp past them).

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

I agree, this stomp or be stomped matchmaking is both boring and irritating, Teamwork and communication are uncommon as is, but on top of this games are usually decided at 5 minutes in because of big mistakes people make, and keep making, due to the fact its hard to tell if your actually doing something useful for your team.

I honestly don't care if i have to wait for a extra minute or 2 for a satisfying game, because in most games these days, you see people fall for the lowest quality baits, and no matter how much you warn them, THEY ALWAYS TAKE THE BAIT, AND THEY ALWAYS DRAG OTHERS INTO IT AS WELL.

On top of this, their are people like me who rather play with and against people of similar skill to sharpen their skills, and learn more about game mechanics but with the way the matchmaker works currently, it causes more headache then it solves

It's impossible to have MMR in this game. There are too many factors to determine your skill. Base it off WR? You can get carried by the 6-11 other teammates. Base it off Base exp? If you play CV, your MMR will be 0. Even good players will be swamped in their performance by playing horrible stock ships etc (those who do not pay to free xp past them).

Keep in mind WoWS is very much still in Beta, its not impossible

Edited by daTungsten

1,105 posts

I agree, this stomp or be stomped matchmaking is both boring and irritating, 

this.....

i think we need to pool player based on mode they choose. the random battle should divided in 3 mode:

A. little squid mode

1/2x credit, 1/2 XP, -25% servicing cost 

B. squidward mode

1x credit, 1x XP

C. Kraken is here

3x credit, 1.5x XP, +50% servicing cost

obviously the potato wont enter the "kraken mode"..... if they did a bad, their credit will decrease LOL

and for preventing seal clubbing "stat padder", the little squid mode will recorded in "easy random". 

while the squidward and kraken will count as the same "random battle"

may be it can solve the MM problem?

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,557 battles

this.....

i think we need to pool player based on mode they choose. the random battle should divided in 3 mode:

A. little squid mode

1/2x credit, 1/2 XP, -25% servicing cost 

B. squidward mode

1x credit, 1x XP

C. Kraken is here

3x credit, 1.5x XP, +50% servicing cost

obviously the potato wont enter the "kraken mode"..... if they did a bad, their credit will decrease LOL

and for preventing seal clubbing "stat padder", the little squid mode will recorded in "easy random". 

while the squidward and kraken will count as the same "random battle"

may be it can solve the MM problem?

not enough people in the matchmaker to do that

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

MM is a work in progress, it prolly will stay being one till the end of times.

Atleast wg is working on it.

94 posts
2,795 battles

I don't know... You few people on the good end of the slope would probably get tired of fighting each other over and over considering the majority of players are either average or scrubs (like me ahue :hiding:)... Though this would be a nice thing for something like say... Ranked Battles or Clan Battles (SoonTM ??)

[BRU]
279 posts
2,067 battles

MM is a work in progress, it prolly will stay being one till the end of times.

Atleast wg is working on it.

I would prefer the proposed MM changes for WoT where bottom tier vehicles outnumber the highest tier vehicles (in case of +/-2MM games or on -1/+1 MM games), e.g. 3 tier 8s, 5 tier 7s, 7 tier 5s. Could also work for WoWS.

I don't know... You few people on the good end of the slope would probably get tired of fighting each other over and over considering the majority of players are either average or scrubs (like me ahue :hiding:)... Though this would be a nice thing for something like say... Ranked Battles or Clan Battles (SoonTM ??)

I dunno, I've noticed that most (not all!) players requesting skill MM are those who have higher than usual winrates. :hiding: