Sign in to follow this  
Scorch_Prime

What destroyers are the most versatile?

9 comments in this topic

3 posts
44 battles

So, guys, I'm new to the game, but i used to play World of Tanks and i really like the light tanks. In WoWs, I heard that the destroyers are light tanks of the sea, so I wanted to ask, which destroyers are good at what and what is the most versatile destroyer line?

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

Well I've only played the Japanese Destroyer lines, but the Shiratsuyu is my all time favorite Destroyer. She was so good and so much fun I couldn't sell her. Had to train up a new commander so I could play her whenever. Good gun platform and excellent torps.

980 posts
12,617 battles

Order of versatility: US DD > German DD > Soviet DD > Japanese DD

US DD:

Pros:Good fast-firing guns, decent torpedoes (from Mahan onwards), good concealment (with the right upgrades), high speed, good turning ability

Cons: Guns have veyr low shell velocity, meaning its is difficult to hit targets beyond ~9km. That really is about it, no other particular cons. 

German DD:

Pros: Powerful guns, great torpedoes, access to hydroacoustic consumable (for long range detect of torpeodes and ships hidden in smokescreens)

Cons: Large hulls means susceptibility to armour-piercing shells, relatively less stealthiness compared to American DDs, firing of main guns dramatically reduces stealthiness

Soviet DD:

Pros: Very powerful guns with great range and accuracy, very fast

Cons: Poor turning performance (particularly at top speed), poor torpedo range (4km for Tier 7 and below), very poor concealment (cannot function well to take capture zones or spot enemies for friendly ships to shoot at)

Japanese DDs:

Pros: Very powerful torpedoes, Tier 8 Akizuki has excellent guns and a decent (but small) torpedo armament. Overall, Shiratsuyu is most versatile (great guns with potential to put 16 torpedoes in the water at once, with 5 guns with good damage shells), torpedoes deal a lot of damage

Cons: Maneuvrability not that great, torpedoes are not the fastest, very poor guns on most Japanese destroyers, if caught in bad situations, it is hard to escape

I haven't unlocked it yet but apparently Fletcher is widely regarded as the best all-round destroyer that can do anything, and is fun to play. 

I have a Gremyashchy, but you can't buy it (can only be won), and it is an absolute joy to play at tier 5. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

what is the most versatile destroyer line?        

Any premium destroyer.

Generally spoken most DDs can fullfill both roles to a certain degree, mid/high tier JP and US DDs are among the best when it comes to this though.

RU DDs are low budget cruisers and german DDs are... german DDs.

There's a few outliners like Mutsuki which used to be a decent hybrid however the recent patching killed her gun firepower.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

If I had to pick one per tier, they would be as follows;

Tier II: IJN Umikaze due to fast reloading 8km torpedoes. Guns are reasonably good.

Tier III: KM G-101 due to its forward launching tubes. If you can get used to her poor handling, she is very good.

Tier IV: IJN Isokaze due to stealth torpedo ability and decent guns (for IJN) OR USN Clemson because of best gun and torpedo boat.

Tier V: USN Nicholas for overall versatility. The best ones at this tier are premium ships, such as IJN Fujin, IJN Kamikaze, and VMF Gremyashchy.

Tier VI: USN Farragut for versatility. Same as Nicholas.

Tier VII: IJN Shiratsuyu for 16 torpedo salvoes and very good IJN guns. VMF Kiev also good if you know how to play her. Same situation as tier V, the other good ones are premium, namely USN Sims, VMF Leningrad and ORP Blyskawica.

Tier VIII: USN Benson. It doesn't get any better than the Benson. Great guns and torpedoes. Lo Yang is also just as good, but it's just a premium Benson anyways.

Tier IX: IJN Yugumo for crazy fast water rockets torpedoes. USN Fletcher for making other DDs and aircraft go away from your cap. VMF Udaloi if you can overlook the poor handling (she has very good guns). If you finish ranked battles in rank 1 five times you get the USN Black, which should reign supreme.

Tier X: VMF Khabarovsk. No contest here, best guns, best survivability. IJN Shimakaze and USN Gearing are also fairly good if you know how to play them.

Unfortunately, there is no most versatile destroyer line in the game. Every ship in every line has their own trade offs in some areas, but if I had to pick one I'd say the USN line would be your best bet. IJN would be the second best, but I personally wouldn't choose IJN destroyers as if you don't play them right you can be sunk by cruisers or even other destroyers fairly easily. VMF destroyers are pretty much pure gunboats, so you won't have too much use with torpedoes until much later in the tech tree.

671 posts
1,508 battles

American DD's have fairly good guns and torps.

German DD is..... eh?

Russian DD are more focused towards gun power

Japanese DD are more focused on torps, with a few exceptions.

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles

US DDs are most versatile.  Every single DD on that line is great. Although if you are solely after damage dealing, VMF DDs are best in that class.

As for skill requirements, US DDs require the least amount of skills while IJN DDs require the most (sadly it is totally opposite in the player base). VMF DDs are easier to farm damage than actually making sure of winning. Haven't plated German DDs yet. So no comment on that. From what I heard, they are pretty "meh".

And the premium DDs are arguably better than the tech tree counterparts.

Edited by icy_phoenix

12 posts
4,900 battles

American DD's have fairly good guns and torps.

German DD is..... eh?

Russian DD are more focused towards gun power

Japanese DD are more focused on torps, with a few exceptions.

im using German DD and right now i could not appreciate the power of their guns although its fast.. i guess i need to improve my aiming skills or am i wasting my time to German DD line?:D

Sign in to follow this