You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
keskparane

Need manual target selection. Current version is broken

Option for manual target selection  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an option for manual target selection?

• Yes
    • No

22 comments in this topic

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

Too many times I have missed because the auto target selection has locked on to the wrong target. The delay in the game makes it difficult in critical situations because sometimes I will press X to select a target & at the same time the auto target will lock, then it will register my keypress and deselect the target it chose (often not the one I want) and my shells don't go where the crosshair is aimed (inexplicable in itself).

Please can we have an aiming system that:

A. Has option for manual target lock only. Disables auto target lock.

B. Fires the shells to the crosshair. The only difference target lock should make is to enable tracking.

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

Just to add a situation where it is detrimental.

In last match 2 ships came around an island, which I was expecting. 1 which was 1 salvo from death and 1 almost full health. The weak ship was leading the other ship slightly but was a little further from me than the healthy ship. I aimed at weak ship but auto target selected the other ship. I fired at weak ship but salvo only went distance of full health ship and so fell short of the weak ship. Weak ship then proceeded to kill me.

In a situation like that there is no time to press X and hope it works as it should. The auto select will behave randomly so you have to spend a vital few seconds making sure there is no target locked then selecting the new target and waiting to make sure it has registered and autoselect hasn't beat you to it again causing your selection to instead be a deselection. 

683 posts
7,358 battles

Sometimes the auto locking is kind of frustrating when it stubbornly locked on wrong target, and delayed in locking on a target where I accidentally de select the target manually, where both instances I miss my.opportunities.

I don't know manual.locking will help or not..

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

It should simply follow the cursor and drop the shots where the cursor is aimed rather than having auto or manual selection. 

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

It should simply follow the cursor and drop the shots where the cursor is aimed rather than having auto or manual selection. 

IKR. Makes absolutely no sense. Especially when you consider that you have to wait for your guns to track to that position. So if the barrel elevation effectively changes in less than a second they why can't it aim at a new target equally as quick? Choose a physics model and stick to it WG. Please don't use a different physics model based on target lock.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

IKR. Makes absolutely no sense. Especially when you consider that you have to wait for your guns to track to that position. So if the barrel elevation effectively changes in less than a second they why can't it aim at a new target equally as quick? Choose a physics model and stick to it WG. Please don't use a different physics model based on target lock.

You misunderstand what target lock does.

Apart from tracking the target, it "narrows" down the elevation range of your aim so that it's limited around the targeted ship. Without it, you wouldn't be able to reliably aim at a specific distance due to the view angle. A few mm of vertical movement without target lock could mean hundreds of meters of difference between where you want to shoot and where the cursor is actually aimed at.

There is also a dispersion penalty when shooting without acquiring target lock.

440 posts
3,379 battles

I would gladly have manual targeting please. I mean, why not? Add it as an option like the alt battle interface, smoke boundaries and others.

683 posts
7,358 battles

Agreed with amade. A lock is still needed. It's very obvious without the lock aiming is really hard. Just like a ship just disappear in a smoke screen and losing the "lock", aiming differ a lot.

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

You misunderstand what target lock does.

Apart from tracking the target, it "narrows" down the elevation range of your aim so that it's limited around the targeted ship. Without it, you wouldn't be able to reliably aim at a specific distance due to the view angle. A few mm of vertical movement without target lock could mean hundreds of meters of difference between where you want to shoot and where the cursor is actually aimed at.

There is also a dispersion penalty when shooting without acquiring target lock.

I fail to see how I have misunderstood. Guns pointed at the same position are more accurate with a target lock than without. This is exactly what I have issue with.

Although I might not have considered distance. :yes_cap: Out of interest I will do a test with gun lock (not target lock) and edit this with the results.

Tests conducted. Ctrl + X gun lock works quite well.

Edited by keskparane

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

Agreed with amade. A lock is still needed. It's very obvious without the lock aiming is really hard. Just like a ship just disappear in a smoke screen and losing the "lock", aiming differ a lot.

Good, then you agree with me too. I have only polled to disable auto target selection/lock, not to remove the requirement for a lock (although I would also like that). I simply want to have an option to only lock/unlock on targets at the press of the X key.
Edited by keskparane

1,126 posts

many CA have incoming fire alert 

it activate when being lock as a target and firing at.

I want to trick out this skill by lock some random target but fire at other (if I'm not lock some target first, there will be huge dispersion penalty)

but auto lock prevent me doing that =w='a

I lock target at my rear but aim at enemy at my side, system just switch target on it's own...

Edited by PGM991

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

I want to trick out this skill by lock some random target but fire at other (if I'm not lock some target first, there will be huge dispersion penalty)

but auto lock prevent me doing that =w='a

I lock target at my rear but aim at enemy at my side, system just switch target on it's own...

You've tried that one too huh? Actually it is really good you mentioned it. Changing the targeting to without a lock (which I now realize sets distance) would break priority target skill a little (even though we will continue to deselect target after firing to lull them into false sense of security). However there is another way which I have just discovered to be quite effective, but it does require stationary ships. I'm sure you can guess.

118 posts
3,585 battles

Wrong.

Incoming fire alert only shows that you are being fired upon, regardless of whether you are locked on.

In one game in my Akatsuki, I was hiding in my smoke and noticed a cruiser firing at my previous location, without a lock.

The alert was popping up like crazy.

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

Wrong.

Incoming fire alert only shows that you are being fired upon, regardless of whether you are locked on.

In one game in my Akatsuki, I was hiding in my smoke and noticed a cruiser firing at my previous location, without a lock.

I had assumed he meant Priority Target

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I fail to see how I have misunderstood. Guns pointed at the same position are more accurate with a target lock than without. This is exactly what I have issue with.

Although I might not have considered distance. :yes_cap: Out of interest I will do a test with gun lock (not target lock) and edit this with the results.

Tests conducted. Ctrl + X gun lock works quite well.

You're missing the point entirely. I'm busy right now, so I'll show some screenshots later to explain.

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

You're missing the point entirely. I'm busy right now, so I'll show some screenshots later to explain.

Impossible. Distance + elevation + sweep = 3 plane cartesian co-ordinate. If that isn't enough information then there is no way of targeting a point.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I just remembered that Sub_octavion already answered this, so I'll just link his post: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/page__pid__2363595#entry2363595

In particular, the reason target lock is important is shown in point number 2.

683 posts
7,358 battles

I just remembered that Sub_octavion already answered this, so I'll just link his post: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/page__pid__2363595#entry2363595

In particular, the reason target lock is important is shown in point number 2.

A good explanation on the importance of target locking.

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

Yup. He clearly indicates why locking in the distance along the LOS to the target is important.

However... and this is the crux...

Barrel elevation effects distance. As long as barrel elevation does not change your shots should have the same trajectory. I realize that for some strange reason WG have decided to have lesser/greater dispersion around that point dependent on target lock. However the behavior we see in game is that once you lose target lock the barrels instantly (magically) change elevation, and therefore the trajectory changes. The barrels should stay at the same angle of elevation after a lock is lost until you move your mouse up or down.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Yup. He clearly indicates why locking in the distance along the LOS to the target is important.

However... and this is the crux...

Barrel elevation effects distance. As long as barrel elevation does not change your shots should have the same trajectory. I realize that for some strange reason WG have decided to have lesser/greater dispersion around that point dependent on target lock. However the behavior we see in game is that once you lose target lock the barrels instantly (magically) change elevation, and therefore the trajectory changes. The barrels should stay at the same angle of elevation after a lock is lost until you move your mouse up or down.

It changes because with target lock enabled your gun elevation is relative to the ship's position (this makes it easier to make fine adjustments to elevation). Without target lock, it's relative to where your cursor is (which makes fine adjustments more difficult). So unless the cursor is exactly on the ship's draught line, the elevation will not be the same when you switch between with and without target lock.

1,126 posts

Wrong.

Nope, 

I use to ask about this skill long ago and here's they says.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/10923-how-skill-incoming-fire-alert-work/

Edited by PGM991

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

A couple of things that would help from 90's games:

Target enemy under crosshairs: if your crosshairs are ON a ship it should target that ship

Target nearest enemy:  nasty DD popped up off the starboard bow?Click hotkey to target it ( would NOT train guns,just lock it )

Cycle enemy targets: click hotkey to cycle through all enemy ships.