You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ordrazz

Imperator Nikolai I

19 comments in this topic

1,491 posts

Greetings,

I have a question for all of you, that I think needs an answer

IF Imperator Nikolai I is so OP, like everyone swears that it is, how is it that I rarely see it around at all, except when I play him?

because everyone rants OP OP OP, it would be logical to believe that everyone would want to play it, because it would give them a better chance at winning, or doing well in a match at least (eg. Zao is over represented in higher tier, that ship is really OP yet everyone plays it)

Why not Nikolai?

Nobody is allowed to say " we don't want to seal club ", because that happens no matter what tier these days, especially if you are in a Zao or Belfast.

Also, I'm not counting the fact that he is not been for sale (again, because everyone thinks he's OP)

This question is for people like me who DO have him.

If anything, it's a deliberate setup for seal clubbing for CV, as almost every match I play there is 1 or 2 CV, which is murder for Nikolai as he has next to no AA.

Wyoming & Arkansas has just as many guns at that tier, & much better AA,....

Anyway, back to the question...

Why are we NOT seeing lots of Nikolai around?

At other tiers we see Arizona, Mutsu, Mikhail Kutezhov, etc... Even at tier 2 we see Emden

Why should Nikolai be an exception ?

:hmm:

Ordrazz

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I rarely take mine out as i prefer higher tiers or ranked games currently.

This ship does seal club but where is the fun in doing that to people at low tiers where team work is less critical.

If you like we can count into a game and i will bring mine out!

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Numbers and tier - for some reason lower tier premiums (even if OP) don't sell as well as the higher tiers.

As well not as many like to play the lower tiers, the seem to have the attitude of bigger is better for some reason.....

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

I got a nikolai from a christmas crate, took it out for a few battles, it's boring, your armor bounces pretty much every thing, guns murder everything in range, i cant find any fun playing this ship at all, i would much rather play at high tiers

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

and winning in the nikolai brings very little rewards, in terms of credits, for the people who actually want to grind credits, the bite sized earnings of the nikolai dosnt cut it

1,491 posts

Well, I do for a start,

I play many tiers, it's more fun playing lower tiers than higher, as people ACTUALLY BATTLE, they don't keep hiding at the other side of the map & snipe, or cheat by invisi firing, or send wall after wall of torpedoes, people actually fight at closer rage  range

I love my Nikolai

Ordrazz

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

The problem is how many people actually own Nikolai I.
It was an ugly looking sausage of the Russians. I'm not being racist or anything, but Russians didn't have a really glorious history during the Dreadnought era. I guess the majority of WoWS player base are interested in WWI/II navies right? And warships.today's stats show Khaba and Moskva aren't really popular in asia. So probably not many bought this ship when she was released.
And she was only sold once, late 2015. As those people either go up tiers or give up the game, and new players join, it's normal that you won't see many Nikolai. I mean most people will go up tiers and get a T10, and people will enjoy their top tiers. So not many play Nikolai, many new players play other T4.
The gameplay, I personally don't really like Nikolai. Slow battleships aren't fun.
Also CV seal clubbing may also be the problem, Nikolai has basically no AA.
IMO the dominance of Nikolai also reduced when Kaiser came out. Kaiser gets good armor, good guns with reliable penetration, short fuze, and accuracy great for T4. Although Nikolai is still better, you can't crush a Kaiser as easy.

And Nikolai isn't a great credits harvester or captain trainer. Mikhail Kutuzov does better in both.

Edited by _Halcyon

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Easysushi also dont have AA.

Actually, a tier 4And lower have no fun unless you try to complete something let say like a hall of fame entry ...

Edited by XP_On

460 posts
8,321 battles

I got the Nikolai when they sold him for two reasons, he was cheap and a decent and unique BB.

I don't play him so much now for no other reason than I'm often playing to grind missions or ships or something else, and that now happens mostly in higher tiers than 4. That and I've already played it a whole bunch.

But when I do take him for a spin, he usually performs well. He's got no AA but he can dodge a torpedo or two, and you can bounce lots of shells because of the turret layout allowing better angling. I've also occasionally had Stalin guide my shells at long range to hit something like a dd that I thought I'd miss. Played right and he can compete quite well with even T6 ships.

Edited by Sparcie

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

If you look at the main reasons why people play premium ships, mostly to:

1. Grind Captains

2. Earn Credits

Now look at Nikolai

Grinding captain in a T4 ship is much slower and painful as the teams are almost always too bad to deal with. 

Everyone knows T7 earns a lot more than T4. 

Some contributing factors why not many people play Nikolai

> Its just a T4 BB, no big deal.

> Who bother playing T4......

> Why bother playing USSR T4 when you have something like Kutuzov which will earn you the same credit of 5 nikolai games in one battle.

> oh wait, its just a T4.......

> only a handful of people have access to her. And I am not sure if Nikolai is any better than Kaiser.

> only fun part of nikolai is hurting new players who sail broadside. That doesn't sound much fun to me as Drakon said.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

Eh, I find T4 a refreshing change of pace.

When I feel jaded playing the higher tiers, dropping down a few helps to recharge my batteries.

Tee

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Eh, I find T4 a refreshing change of pace.

When I feel jaded playing the higher tiers, dropping down a few helps to recharge my batteries.

Tee

i still say tier 5 is better. i mean, if you in tier 4, when you top tier and face tier 3, u will have no challange, and if u bottom tier, a tier 5 can easily rekt you....while tier 5 can stil play and kill even a tier 7

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

i still say tier 5 is better. i mean, if you in tier 4, when you top tier and face tier 3, u will have no challange, and if u bottom tier, a tier 5 can easily rekt you....while tier 5 can stil play and kill even a tier 7

Words of a seal clubber :trollface: (and if someone wondering what ship, look at xp's signature)

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Words of a seal clubber :trollface: (and if someone wondering what ship, look at xp's signature)

well, i not always use my Kamikaze R now... if i bored with her, i use the new ship i have. Gremmy :P
Edited by XP_On