Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Thyaliad

What Captain skill should I give up?

Which skill should i forego?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which skill should i forego?

17 comments in this topic

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

So I am trying to a build Secondary focused Captain for my German BBs. I will be transferring this Captain from ship to ship as I move up the tiers.

The tier III and IV Captain skills I am looking at are:

1) BFT

2) Superintendent

3) Manual Control for Secondaries

4) IFHE

5) AFT

The problem is I won't have the points to get all of these, so I must give one of them up. But which one should I give up?

BFT also increases AA damage in addition buffing Secondaries, so it also protects against CVs.

Superintendent gives an extra heal, and together with flags plus the Premium Repair Party consumable allows me to tank quite a lot of damage, plus its a lot easier to farm to farm more Dreadnought achievements for flags, which would allow me to farm even more and so on and so forth.

Manual Control improves accuracy which is important considering the Secondary guns are manned by Imperial Stormtroopers.

I heard IFHE is good for German BBs, as the secondaries fire mostly HE in higher tiers, and can penetrate enemy BBs.

AFT increases range, which is probably the most important factor in a Secondary build.

So which skill should I forego?

I'm inclined to drop either IFHE or BFT. Is that a good idea? Should I lose Superintendent instead? Or should I grab a totally different skill like CE?

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Thyaliad

10 posts
4,439 battles

i would drop Superintendent since 3 Repair Party is a lot already and you probably can't even use all 3 (4 with premium Repair) before you sink (or the match ends).

oh believe me. it is easier to use them all than you would think

1,386 posts
8,249 battles

Is it just me that almost always use up all the repair consumables?

Ok back to topic

Which exact ship do you want a secondary build captain on?

For Bismarck and FDG, you can drop IFHE AND BFT if you just want your secondaries to salt BBs.(IFHE won't benefit 150mm against BB, and 105mm can pen T8+ BB superstructure after IFHE, but it will take away 3% fire chance)

For Gneis, first tell me how does the MM treat your Gneis. If MM treats you nicely and usually gets into T5-7 game then you won't need IFHE. For those who usually see T8+, IFHE is great.

For GK, are you sure about this?

BFT just isn't worth 3 points if you simply want some extra firepower from secondary.

However, I recommend Fire Prevention skill. This is AWESOME! If you don't take this skill, most cruisers will be able to set two fire on you easily, and you usually have to use DamCon at this point, but with FP, having two or more fire buring your ship at the same time will be rare.

Edited by _Halcyon

411 posts
6,164 battles

i would drop Superintendent since 3 Repair Party is a lot already and you probably can't even use all 3 (4 with premium Repair) before you sink (or the match ends).

I use superintendent+premium consumable which give me 5 charges and yet run out of them most of the time...go figure.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

I use superintendent+premium consumable which give me 5 charges and yet run out of them most of the time...go figure.

Well not me though, Shellbeat and torpbeat at its best and deleting enemies b4 they can do harm to me so i don't even have a chance to use all 3 of my repair parties.

EDITED: well maybe the German BBs need it because they can't delete enemy ship fast enough cuz of main guns accuracy

Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

411 posts
6,164 battles

And about OP, take Adrenaline Rush for 2 points and skip BFT entirely. It'll help both secondaries and main battery and you'll have one spare point to use elsewhere...:)

About IFHE, I'm not sure what it'll do in a sec. build:hmm:

These are what I currently have for my FDG captain : PM,EM,SI,AFT,MFCSA,AR

hope this helps...:honoring:

411 posts
6,164 battles

Well not me though, Shellbeat and torpbeat at its best and deleting enemies b4 they can do harm to me so i don't even have a chance to use all 3 of my repair parties.

Depends on the playstile entirely...the reason I run out of repair party is because I turn them on whenever I'm set on fire:red_button: and you're supposed to be on fire most of the time in a KM BB anyway...:teethhappy:

683 posts
7,367 battles

I used to have superintendent back then, but I have dropped it for the sake of BFT (I hate planes)

Yes, adrenaline rush is fun :) especially your Bismarck guns can reload in like 22 sec :P ( correct me if I'm wrong, was always too nervous when my health too low and engaging enemy ships)

I'm still a bit don't know about GK. I wanted full secondaries build, but... concealment is kind of fun too..

1,356 posts
8,888 battles

Thanks for the response chaps!

Stupid me forgot to mention that I picked Preventive Maintenance and Adrenaline Rush as my Tier I and II skills respectively. I took AR instead of Expert Marksman as I felt my turrets turn quickly enough (for BB standards anyway). That's why I am considering dropping BFT, though I would miss out on the AA bonus. AR + BFT does sound kinda fun for filling the sky with Secondary shells, but I am not sure if that is actually useful.

As for Superintendent, it served me well in the low to mid tiers as I tend to play aggressively and come under fire often. If I am on fire, I usually let it burn out and just use Repair Party to recover my health after. Apart from flooding, I only use DCP if there are at least 2 fires or if I know I am not going to be shot at anytime soon. So I often burn at least 3-4 Repair Parties per game. That extra heal gives me some breathing room. But I have no idea if the same will hold true for the high tiers. My highest German BB is the Bayern (completed the grind but no money for the Gneisenau). My highest tier ships are the Mogami and Takao, and I mostly find myself spamming HE against BBs when I use them.

So a question for the high tier players, what do you usually tend to die from when playing German BBs? Is it fire? Or is it HE/AP penetrations and torperdoes? If it's the latter then that extra heal might not be that useful since I can't restore all of the damage.

Which exact ship do you want a secondary build captain on?

Well I am planning to move my Captain up as I advance through the German BB line, so eventually the GK I guess? I plan to train more Captains tailored to specific ships but that is a very long way into the future, so I am currently going for a more "generic" Secondary build.

411 posts
6,164 battles

Thanks for the response chaps!

Stupid me forgot to mention that I picked Preventive Maintenance and Adrenaline Rush as my Tier I and II skills respectively. I took AR instead of Expert Marksman as I felt my turrets turn quickly enough (for BB standards anyway). That's why I am considering dropping BFT, though I would miss out on the AA bonus. AR + BFT does sound kinda fun for filling the sky with Secondary shells, but I am not sure if that is actually useful.

As for Superintendent, it served me well in the low to mid tiers as I tend to play aggressively and come under fire often. If I am on fire, I usually let it burn out and just use Repair Party to recover my health after. Apart from flooding, I only use DCP if there are at least 2 fires or if I know I am not going to be shot at anytime soon. So I often burn at least 3-4 Repair Parties per game. That extra heal gives me some breathing room. But I have no idea if the same will hold true for the high tiers. My highest German BB is the Bayern (completed the grind but no money for the Gneisenau). My highest tier ships are the Mogami and Takao, and I mostly find myself spamming HE against BBs when I use them.

So a question for the high tier players, what do you usually tend to die from when playing German BBs? Is it fire? Or is it HE/AP penetrations and torperdoes? If it's the latter then that extra heal might not be that useful since I can't restore all of the damage.

Well I am planning to move my Captain up as I advance through the German BB line, so eventually the GK I guess? I plan to train more Captains tailored to specific ships but that is a very long way into the future, so I am currently going for a more "generic" Secondary build.

I'd like to point out some things in context to your post^^:)

> I wouldn't take AR at the very beginning as EM is more important specially in Gneisenau & Bismarck as you are most likely to get into situations where there will be DDs sneaking up on u( and u'll have to react fast). Also, turning turrets become vital when u are in a brawl with multiple ships as it is sometimes wise to Ctrl+click on a ship for secondaries to focus, then target a completely different ship with main guns(i.e: your in a brawl with a bow on BB while u notice a ship turning broadside in other direction:trollface:)Also, sometimes it'll be better to stick to front guns only as turning may result in death...:red_button:

> As I mentioned earlier, it's better to turn on repair party when you're set on fire instead of switching it after the fire burns out, because it'll start the cool-down faster and you'll have another repair party ready to use even earlier.(better micro-management)

> Yes it holds true for high tiers(at least up to Bismarck)

> Up to T8, I died mostly from HE rain:hiding: Now in T9 I die from torp walls !:unsure:(Still trying to get hold of Fat Freddy...it turns like a whale:sceptic:)

N.B: I'm just an average BB player, YMMV:honoring:

Edited by _TAMAL_

411 posts
6,164 battles

Protect yourself from the planes if you try on BB 

That depends more on positioning rather than captain skills IMO:smart_fish:

Sign in to follow this