Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShadoPulse

How to Pensacola

11 comments in this topic

440 posts
3,379 battles

Dance around shells, kill the weak first, support fire, brawl when you know you're going to win it (brawling is still not a recommendable thing in her) , punish fools who are broadsided to you. EZ exp :trollface:

"you can't spell fragile without agile"

Edited by rouge42

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Congratulations on reaching the Pensacola! The Cleveland sure was alot of fun, but now it's time to adopt a new play style, which you might also use for subsequent ships in the line like the New Orleans.

1) Pensacola has no armor, yet takes a ton of damage.

You have a massive citadel, a massive mast, and very little armor to protect yourself and/or bounce shells. What do you do? You dodge. You can't play it like any other ship in the game, if you make a mistake in the Pensacola against an even somewhat decent enemy cruiser or battleship, you will sink, quickly. Play your maneuverability to your advantage, and actively dodge enemy fire in ranged combat. Avoid close ranged combat unless absolutely necessary.

2) What do I shoot at?

The Pensacola has a massive detection range, which should make it one of the most "visible" (detectable) cruisers in the game. Hence, you don't rush forward like IJN and RUCAs can do. You play like a RNCL, and use islands as cover to drop detection frequently. You use the excellent AP and deal massive damage to cruisers at pretty much every range, and load HE to do 5k damage salvoes against DDs who don't take you seriously. Play supportive, and don't die early. If you survive long enough, you usually can brawl (just a little) in mopping up the enemies with lower health in the latter parts of the game. If you encounter a battleship in close quarters, you load AP and citadel them. As far as I know, you can citadel the Fuso (through the deck) and the Kongo (first and last turret). Even non citadels should do a steady 4 or 5k damage per salvo due to the high penetrative power of USCA AP.

3) Against higher powers

While most of your games should be tier V to VII after 0.5.12 (or was it earlier?), if RNGesus is having a troll day and constantly puts you in tier IX matches, log off and go for a walk. Come back later. Of course if you absolutely must, just play careful and utilise island cover. Also remember to support your DDs as the HE really hurts and is relatively accurate even in excess of 9km most of the times. Use your HE if you meet tier IX ships that you cannot reliably do damage to (such as battleships) to set fires.

4) What build to use?

For upgrades take Main Armament Mod1, Aiming Systems Mod1 (or AA Guns Mod2), DameCon System Mod1, and Steering Gears Mod2.

For commander skills take PT, EM, VG, and CE first, then AR and DE.

Camo, DameCon Party 2 will also help you have an easier time, though I personally just use type 5 camo only.

All in all, she's a great ship, but do remember she's an eggshell with a hammer. She will get hit hard, but she can also hit hard. Hope this helps!

TL;DR every part of your ship is a citadel. Play supportive and don't die too early. Don't be a sniper either. Try not to take into ranked because poor survivability.

Edited by pwnies5600

99 posts
1,653 battles

Detection range isn't a problem anymore so it's a lot easier to play as a CA hunter without having to bide your time and hope the team is competent.

AP angle is excellent and armour can protect against most CA's if you angle well; and constantly keep watch of every enemy BB to avoid broadside.

The only painful thing is the upgrade from stock (esp. turrets)

[BRU]
279 posts
2,064 battles

Get FCS upgrade early and if you can, retrain your Pensa captain to get Concealment Expert--drops the detection range from the newly buffed 12.8-ish km to 10.9km. I see that it helps me through the grind, surprising CAs with AP salvos, can get closer to targets easily. And avoid getting hit as much as possible as said before.

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,548 battles

dance on fhe water like how the rest of the fat americans after it cant, load AP and watch citadel galore, he is decent, just dont show broadside too much

980 posts
12,617 battles

My best advice after 60+ games in the Pensacola is kite, and very aggressive use of the rudder. 

Note that this was before the time of the USN cruiser buff, and the introduction of new captain skills. If you use your improved concealment and priority target captain skill (level 1), the enemy will have a very difficult time trying to hit/focus you. 

I am loving my New Orleans though, it can bounce some battleship shells when angled. Can't wait for the Baltimore. If you're not enjoying the Pensa, there's these sheep to look forward to.   

Edited by LordTyphoon

48 posts

the pensacola has good shell ballistics and it can fire behind islands " if in good distance" also the rudders.. you can dodge any torpedo,shells and bombs anytime you want. and dont forget the turret rotation and it's shells because AP shells can pierce nagato and fuso's cits "Forward only"

she is a good ship and she also teach you why not to broadside like a pirate ship unless you want to go Edward Kenway Mode

Sign in to follow this