Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

C hull for Fiji

10 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

So I was looking through Wikipedia of the Crown Colony class and found some interesting pictures.

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/pages/cruisers/hms_newfoundland_59.htm

↑This, some pictures of HMS Newfoundland. I know she belong to the Ceylon group which never owned a fourth turret, but she is still a part of the Crown Colony class.

Note the last picture, HMS Newfoundland in 1952. The torpedo tubes were removed, the tripod mast was replaced with lattice mast(probably for new electronic equipments) and the removal of the catapult.

So this is what I'm thinking, add Newfoundland's post war reconstructed status as Fiji's C hull. I know Fiji and Newfoundland belong to different groups and Fiji never survived the war. But why not let Fiji represent the whole class? Just like how Bismarck never received a radar on her main rangefinder, but look at the in-game hull B, WG added a radar for her similar to Tirpitz's.

So my proposal is add a hull C similar to Newfoundland's reconstructed status that can make Fiji be able to stand up against Belfast in ranked competitiveness.

>remove the X turret, and (maybe) buff the RoF of hull C to 6sec/salvo(12guns*8RPM=96rounds/minute 9guns*10RPM=90rounds/minute, basically retaining the same DPM)

>give a better AA suite

>change the repair party consumable to surveillance radar with the same stats as T7 premiums(most RN cruisers in post war period are having less crew than war status, so remove repair and add radar)

>remove the planes option in the smoke slot.(srsly do anyone pick planes over smoke?)

>reduce the base concealment to 10.0km with camouflage. That will make a fully upgraded concealment of 8.8km, very similar to Belfast's 8.7km.(IIRC WG never said anything about how the concealment value was set, and I'll expect how that will explain why a 30000 ton treaty BB(North Carolina) be as concealing as a light cruiser(Mikhail Kutuzov). So as it's a vodka value, changing it doesn't seem problematic)

>remove the torp tubes.(dummo, IIRC there's no ship in the whole game that lost all torpedo tubes after a hull upgrade.)

>the survivability and maneuverability stay the same as hull B

>upgrades stay the same(I thought of adding a fifth slot and keep the concealment the same, but no. A double rudder shift Fiji? No! That kind of turning circle and almost no loss in speed when turning, with double rudder shift? Over DD level of maneuverability)

Edited by _Halcyon

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Kudos to the OP to come up with an idea for the regular tech tree, as more ideas/suggestions are always good.

Personally id dislike to see the Fiji turned into a Belfast basically. I like the Fiji in its current role, and think its more versatile than the Belfast.

Id definitely hate to see the repair party consumable removed.

Perhaps an option to remove the torpedoes for radar, though a weaker variant. Then again i do love charging ships in smoke with hydro and torps, so its not something id favour if it was proposed.

Another option maybe would be to have your changes with a new premium and incorporate the Perths smoke. a put putting Belfast clone that cant be sniped for being stationary.

563 posts
4,686 battles

I know you are triggered by the domination of Belfast, but isn't this a little excessive...

So any chance of a tech tree ship being competitive to their premium counterpart is "EXCESSIVE"?

Anyway, I would like this to be implemented as a side grade. Like USN DD C hulls. Gives you option as being stronger in random, or in ranked/any other competitive games.

381 posts
9,957 battles

So any chance of a tech tree ship being competitive to their premium counterpart is "EXCESSIVE"?

Anyway, I would like this to be implemented as a side grade. Like USN DD C hulls. Gives you option as being stronger in random, or in ranked/any other competitive games.

Because Fiji is already fairly balanced at t7 (heck its last 2 weeks performance either exceeds or rivals that of all other t7 cruisers except Belfast and Flint in both ranked and random) while Belfast was clearly a balance disaster?

If you want cruiser variety in ranked, why not buffing the less powerful ships like Yorck/Pensacola/Indianapolis instead of buffing the top t7 tech tree performer, essentially making it a Belfast clone and another balance failure. This kind of argument is like letting Essex have back 2 torp squad to balance against Taiho. Two wrongs never make a right.

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

↑agreed.

Basically, USN DD C hull is/similar to their late war status while B resembles early war/pre war more. And they sacrifice firepower for better AA and useful consumable. The idea is basically the same, sacrificing firepower and survivability for concealment and useful consumable.

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

Because Fiji is already fairly balanced at t7 (heck its last 2 weeks performance either exceeds or rivals that of all other t7 cruisers except Belfast and Flint in both ranked and random) while Belfast was clearly a balance disaster?

If you want cruiser variety in ranked, why not buffing the less powerful ships like Yorck/Pensacola/Indianapolis instead of buffing the top t7 tech tree performer, essentially making it a Belfast clone and another balance failure. This kind of argument is like letting Essex have back 2 torp squad to balance against Taiho. Two wrongs never make a right.

My idea is simple, make a equivalent of Belfast in the tech tree. Wargaming never actually made a balanced tier, not even T1. And they even don't bother to buff some ships like Admiral Hipper. And some ships, while may not be under performing, don't suit ranked well. For example Maass. I guess everyone feel rekt when the enemy team gets three Sims and your team gets three Maass in ranked, because of the smoke. And short smoke is a "unique feature" of KM DD. So trying to let every ship participate equally is not so wise.

With the new smoke skill, Belfast's puff has grown from barely shareable with your division mates to able to hide a small fleet. So the smoke become extremely valuable for ranked. And for a tech tree ship able to stand up against it so the F2P players won't be in disadvantage, it has to be another smoke cruiser, and adding a smoke for only a ship seem wierd, so basically that's phasing out Shchors and Pepsicola and pointing directly to Fiji.

Edited by _Halcyon

Sign in to follow this