Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Pensacola is amazing for ranked

19 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

The new update made the Pensacola an amazing ship. She punishes everything in ranked, destroyers, cruisers, battleships and aircraft carrier.

Guns wise, you cannot complain about the guns. Hard hitting, excellent AP shells that will pen every ships from every angle (Minus the CV flight deck when below 8km). Shell arcs are some what slow but that's more of an advantage than disadvantage. Her shells will come down at a sharp angle and penetrate through the deck and go into the citadel of enemy ships (including Nagato). If you hate cruisers, then the Pensacola is for you. The Pensacola punishes cruisers so hard that she probably does a better job than BBs when it comes to killing cruisers, purely because she suffers less from RNG than battleships. The only cruiser that she may have trouble citadeling  is the Myoko. But then she have the IJN troll armour, besides, normal pens still deals huge damage to the Myoko anyway. Oh, if hate the no skill easy win premium british cruiser, AKA the Belfast. As well as her equally overpowered tier 7 sister, Fiji, then the Pensacola is for you. You are likely to citadel UK CL from angles above 25-30 degrees, if they angle their ship right towards you, switch to HE or remains with AP, either options are fine as the AP shell just lol pen through British CLs anyway. 
Armour wise, yeah there are huge issues with her armour, however, this can be negated by armour angling and using the rudder to avoid shells and torpedo. You have to constantly use the throttle and rudder in this ship if you don't want to get deleted. Also, don't stop in the middle of the ocean unless you have cover, I shit you not, don't do it. You'll get deleted in a matter of seconds. Her rudder shift is quite good, make use of it ! 

AA- Third best AA based on planes shot down. Atlanta is first, followed by Belfast (And people claims that she has bad AA :D)

Concealment- comparable to Myoko after 0.6.1

The Pensacola is probably one of the best cruiser for ranked if you are skilled. Her guns are very potent, so make good use of them.
Pensacola requires a skilled captain to make her work. There's no arguing about that, it's the truth. 
If you play well in Pensacola, congratulation, you've mastered one of the hardest, if not, the hardest cruiser to play and earned my up most respect. Now go out there, and club those low skills no skills Belfast captains. Use common sense and the game shall shower you with black ribbons

Edited by silenthunter19944

440 posts
3,379 battles

Last time I saw a pensacola in ranked he charged towards his own death by having the whole enemy fleet shooting him :D

451 posts
6,946 battles

Stray hits on you are citadels. Like taking nurnberg into tier 6 ranked. You are playing against potatoes. It's just not a ship to take into ranked. If you want a ship that does everything better, play myoko.

Let's duel.

Edited by Kleiss

412 posts
9,213 battles

(snipped)

The Pensacola is probably one of the best cruiser for ranked if you are skilled.

True. Pensacola is now the 2nd best non-prem CA for ranked after Myoko (because Fiji is a CL kek, and she's the best non-prem bote to bring in ranked :P) after the update. On the way up from R20-R11, I saw some Pensacolas carrying the game because they know what they're doing - high shellbeating and positioning skills are ultimately required to carry the game using Pensacola.

892 posts
7,853 battles

Despite the improved concealment of the Pensa with the latest patch, once you shoot, you will still be seen across almost the entire map (okay, I'm exaggerating this a tad). Essentially once a Pensa opens fire, it still sends out, "HEY EVERYONE! I'M OVER HERE!!". No doubt her guns have a decent ROF and in the hands of a capable Captain, can dish out a fair amount of damage. That said, the Pensa gets cit'ed all too easily.

419 posts

Stray hits on you are citadels. Like taking nurnberg into tier 6 ranked. You are playing against potatoes. It's just not a ship to take into ranked. If you want a ship that does everything better, play myoko.

Let's duel.

The Pepsi is a light crusiser with heavy crusiser guns.  Of course it's going to be cit from any angle. 

The Pensacola is probably one of the best cruiser for ranked if you are skilled.

True, so true.  Right now, the Pepsi players are the players who played it when Pepsi was trash and worked it up too fully upgraded.

I've played it twice in rank and won both times.  It relies on your team to help you, but, Myokos, I can cit you up to 13.6 km (farthest I have so far) so watch your broadsides when firing at other ships.

The Pepsi, is turning into a real crusier killer.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Trouble with the Myoko players is that they love to use torp while at 10km below which exposes their juicy broadsides and citadels waiting to be shot at and get sunk in one shot.

Funny that when i use Fiji in ranked i can pretty much get the top exp in my team when my team lost and get at least 2nd place when we won (only 2nd to the DD).

Edited by Shiroyasha_Gintoki

420 posts
20 battles

While many people says Pensacola could be cit from anywhere, i don't see it that way.

At some areas Pensacola has more armor than Myoko, and it is not like Myoko can't be citadel from anywhere with that base 100mm-ish armor.

Idk with anyone that will say because of better geometry, i highly doubt that.

As long your enemy caliber is larger than 14 inch i think they will smack her good on her face. Happens a lot to me.

Unless you're mentioning about her torpedo bulge...not making big difference i think.

And with that turret ergonomics and turn rate, i doubt she is a good at shooting while maneuvering compared to Pensacola.

Edited by Zwelivelle

[BRU]
279 posts
2,053 battles

While many people says Pensacola could be cit from anywhere, i don't see it that way.

At some areas Pensacola has more armor than Myoko, and it is not like Myoko can't be citadel from anywhere with that base 100mm-ish armor.

Idk with anyone that will say because of better geometry, i highly doubt that.

As long your enemy caliber is larger than 14 inch i think they will smack her good on her face. Happens a lot to me.

Unless you're mentioning about her torpedo bulge...not making big difference i think.

And with that turret ergonomics and turn rate, i doubt she is a good at shooting while maneuvering compared to Pensacola.

That means you really know how to use the Pensacola, if don't worry about her citadel. Wiki lists Pensa's cit armor as 19 -102mm, while Myoko's at 57 -102mm. But any cruiser that broadsides to enemy CA's and BB's is always at risk of being hit on the citadel anyways.

I think Myoko is also bit faster than the Pensacola. Fire chance of Myoko is also decent.

But yeah, if the citadel wasn't an issue, I would've taken the Pensacola to Ranked Battles, as the recent concealment buff has at least put her at par with other CAs and also has better turret traverse/layout.

Edited by EJL

892 posts
7,853 battles

Trouble with the Myoko players is that they love to use torp while at 10km below which exposes their juicy broadsides and citadels waiting to be shot at and get sunk in one shot.

Funny that when i use Fiji in ranked i can pretty much get the top exp in my team when my team lost and get at least 2nd place when we won (only 2nd to the DD).

​With most British cruisers in the hands of a capable Captain, they can dish out a lot of damage earning lots of XP

420 posts
20 battles

That means you really know how to use the Pensacola, if don't worry about her citadel. Wiki lists Pensa's cit armor as 19 -102mm, while Myoko's at 57 -102mm. But any cruiser that broadsides to enemy CA's and BB's is always at risk of being hit on the citadel anyways.

I think Myoko is also bit faster than the Pensacola. Fire chance of Myoko is also decent.

But yeah, if the citadel wasn't an issue, I would've taken the Pensacola to Ranked Battles, as the recent concealment buff has at least put her at par with other CAs and also has better turret traverse/layout.

No, i don't have Pensacola. Are you probably teasing me ?

But i often shooting at that ship, i don't think she is as squishy as people said.

Just 102mm side plate, hmm, is it changed or something?

I think i saw about 110 or something before at port.

Edited by Zwelivelle

[BRU]
279 posts
2,053 battles

No, i don't have Pensacola. Are you probably teasing me ?

Sorry mate, I didn't know you don't have a Pensa. Don't take it badly. :happy_fish: Honestly, I want to be able to get better at it (mine's still stock) to the point that I wouldn't have to worry about getting citadelled because avoiding that comes naturally.

But i often shooting at that ship, i don't think she is as squishy as people said.

Just 102mm side plate, hmm, is it changed or something?

I think i saw about 110 or something before at port.

Because any CA when angled, can minimize damage received from AP (unless the AP shell lolpens it). But Pensacola is a large target compared to Myoko.

I just checked the wiki, I'll look at in-game stats at port later when I play. :tea_cap:

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

​With most British cruisers in the hands of a capable Captain, they can dish out a lot of damage earning lots of XP

I don't really consider myself a capaple RN Captain, i'm just taking advantage of ranked battles to grind through Fiji to get Edinburgh. :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,179 battles

Unless the Pepsi Cola is able to remain hidden and significantly close the gap, even with the improvements, I think the Tier 6 Budyonny has a 50/50 shot "at range", winning against it.

Longer range, faster speed, rapid firing accurate guns - a Pepsi will be forced withdraw.

If a Pepsi gets the jump, then a Budy will likely have to face it bow on (strong armour), rush it, and hope those insane fast quad torps can finish it off.

I still don't fear Clevelands or Pensacolas in my Budyonny.

... except if my broadside is showing... oh god...

Tee

Edited by admiral_tee

Sign in to follow this