You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

The IJN Hosho: What is the deal with this girl?

13 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello all,

So I recently kicked the game off and decided to challenge myself with the multifaceted game-play of the CV line after taking it nice and easy with the BB playstyle. After reading extensively on the forums about how USN CVs rule the skies and how their torpedo placement is so tight knit that 3 to 4 of their fishes eating metal was a guaranteed thing even in the hands of an average player, I decided to go with the IJN simply because I like to play the underdogs since it provides more opportunity to polish one's skills. So normally how I imagined IJN line after reading up on various threads is that to win a fighter duel with a USN, I would have to master 2 things.

1) Strafing.

2) Engaging over a good AA vessel/Drag the enemy over my own CV.

Now I have been playing the carrier class for over 2 weeks now and I expected derpy results due to the somewhat high awareness oriented learning curve. But what I did not expect to find was how hilarious the low tier CV balance really was. For example, taking the above two parameters into consideration:

1) Strafing : I won't say I mastered it, but most of the time the Langleys I fought were cocky enough to not even bother strafing. They would just leave it on left click auto so I got a pretty good practice learning strafing maneuvers on them when they were coming straight at me. But did that help? What my experience was that if I got them in a good angle I would definitely kill 3 to 4 at minimum of the US fighters but in the next second the US fighters would start chasing my fighters who are still ending their strafing run and only with half their squadron destroy 2 of my guys from behind while my guys are still turning around to face them. So basically killing their half made no difference as I lost my half too. Weren't IJN fighters made weaker so players could use skill to even the balance? I mean I am trying to apply the idea, but I am unable to see it working.

2) Engaging over a good AA vessel: On theory this is a very sound advice and honestly I have seen it work. A lot of times my fighters came up top thanks to a ship providing AA fire... BUT. But here is the thing about these engagements, even if you do successfully bring the enemy fighters over a bunch of your ships, these players don't understand the idea at this tier. In their minds all they care about is to either fire on enemy vessels or turn away to save their asses and I don't really see how that concept would change much over higher tiers either. Players generally don't linger around long enough for the fighter duel to end which essentially destroys your whole strategy. So unless you are lucky enough to get a Texas in your team which is slow and a monster AA fortress, then the only reliable AA fire would be your own carrier but giving away your position to the enemy team doesn't sound like a great strategy to be honest.

So, even if you do withdraw and avoid engagements you will have to fight them eventually when they start targeting your torpedo bombers. And what makes me really do the "Huh?" is that 85% of the time I lose all my fighters while the enemy barely loses 3 or 4. I mean I realize that irl, Japanese fighters were inferior to American counterparts but as a game concept, this feels borderline game breaking and a punishment to the fledgling carrier players. Because once you lose your fighters, all the enemy has to do is park their fighters near your carrier and not let your bombers take off. That is it, your game is over even if you have 16 aircrafts standing by. Just a floating liability.

Please, do not get me wrong. I do not wish to rant as that basically achieves nothing. Only the contrary I really want to improve, so I am genuinely trying to figure out what am I missing. Some of the threads said that Air Supremacy is absolutely nice as it evens the odds quiet a bit as an IJN carrier. But that is not viable for a new player like me. Even though I don't shy away from hard work, how am I supposed to earn xp when my bombers are basically caged on the ship unable to take off because of the flying death above? Should I shelve my Hosho until I have a tier 10 captain for her? Or should I take WG's hint and understand that they don't want new players playing the IJN and switch over to the US line? Should I be free xping the Hosho because there is no hope? I am honestly loving the CV game play but I really am not able to find what I am doing wrong with this vessel and it is getting a bit difficult enjoying the game.

I am sorry but I really need some advice from experienced IJN carrier captains on this line if possible. Is there some tricks I am missing here that breaks this deadlock? Apologies for the wall of text and thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

LonerPrime

Edited by LonerPrime

1,105 posts

Some of the threads said that Air Supremacy is absolutely nice as it evens the odds quiet a bit as an IJN carrier. But that is not viable for a new player like me.

hohoho another IJN CV lover :V

AIR SUPREMACY IS SUPER EASY TO GET THANKS TO 0.60 PATCH! and look at that expensive CV skill now become much and much cheaper :V

you only need 10 level commander to get air supremacy :V

btw, just spam all dragon flag+zulu hotel flag+bonus xp+ camo and play it in Zuiho. at hosho, just play regularly :V

for faster xp, just buy premiumaccount :V for 1 month

this is the truth.... after hosho and zuiho... IJN CV rule the sky! (except for saipan)

for strafing USN fighter, you cant just head on strafe, you need to strafe USN fighter from the rear...... watch drifter and you will understand how to do it :V

btw, fighter loadout from IJN is sooo bad..... without air supremac,y 1 usn fighter squadron can rekt 3 IJN fighter squadron by just one click :V

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,987 battles

IJN CVs are harder to learn for newbies. I advise you to try USN CVs up until the Bogue to master the basics of alt attacks.

IJN CVs have faster fighters at low tiers, so try to make him attack and not the other way around as a head-on fight is suicidal.

IJN CVs are best used as DD deletion tools as their multiple torpedo bombers can attack from different directions simultaneously. This requires practice and DD maneuver knowledge, but is invaluable if mastered. T8+ carriers are expected to have competency in DD-dropping.

Edited by stratmania

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

After reading extensively on the forums about how USN CVs rule the skies

You must be reading the pre-nerf USN CV threads, because right now almost everyone agrees that IJN CVs are far superior than the USN ones. Perhaps only Langley and Saipan can be considered superior to their IJN counterparts.

Now, about strafing. You should always strafe from behind or the side of enemy planes whenever possible. Strafing head-on doesn't do much damage. Hosho has faster fighters than Langley, use that advantage to outmaneuver his fighters to get a better strafe position.

Don't get into dogfight except as a last resort, it's too costly in terms of planes. Basically, you should strafe as often as possible.

Yes, Air Supremacy is a must for CV captains. You should not worry too much about it, though; its effect is not that significant at low tiers.

Anyway, keep grinding IJN CV line. You won't regret it.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

Anyway, keep grinding IJN CV line. You won't regret it.

Until he reached the Hiryu paper planes that has to go against Saipan statpadders :trollface:.

Hiryu is the only weak CV in the line thanks to how ridiculous the Saipan ( it is not weak , but its competitors are too stronk ).

Anyway enjoy the ride , i would not recommend IJN cv to anyone new mainly because the need to micromanage a lot of squads early on.

Learning CV in the US line is easier due to less micro and more focused on task assigned,

I recommend climbing up the US line up to tier 7 1st. They teach you how to improvise a lot , then when come back to IJN CV where you will dominate

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,987 battles

Good luck having me in a tier 8+ CV :child:

If you can't drop on DDs, at least keep them spotted when asked; thats one of the easiest ways to help out the team in a meaningful way.

That said, if I do run into a high tier carrier who has no intention of winning the game (which usually involves killing/spotting DDs), I will certainly report him for sheer incompetence and ignorance.

1,125 posts

If you can't drop on DDs, at least keep them spotted when asked

Noooo----!!!

please don't bully little harmless DD =[]=

having plane fly around is nightmare enough, if those plane are on to me, I can't play at all.

can't attack, can't cap, can't advance, can't survive.

(Obviously IJNDD one:trollface:)

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,789 battles

Lol, no one mention Ranger here, prolly the most difficult and fun CV to play, 7 dive bombers and 7 fighters though, can obliterate saipan's FT

kek

:trollface:

What most diffcult lol

Ranger is a funny ship while I played with Saipan 301 vs 202 :trollface:

294 posts
2,997 battles

Thank you all for your input guys. Even though it seems the thread has steered off into another direction I would like to report that after reading all the advice and tips I decided to once again incorporate it into my gameplay. Also hit some manual torp guides for better damage output and for the first time I got top spot in a game. I don't know what the future holds but for now I'll continue learning this class so thank you all once more for your guidance.

Kind Regards,

LonerPrime