You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArmoredMedic

Worth it to upgrade FKS on Bayern and other 380mm KM BB?

26 comments in this topic

22 posts
151 battles

I'm pretty disappointed with the Bayern. The Konig had impressive accuracy and 2 more guns. It was worth it to upgrade its FKS to squeeze some range out of it.

Now I'm wondering if there's any point at all to spending 9K XP on the FKS upgrade when I can't seem to hit the broadside of an iceberg beyond 10km anyway.

As far as I can see, FKS doesn't improve accuracy right? It just makes the wild shots go farther, right?

Also... unrelated, but does anyone else feel like brawler ships with abysmal accuracy are sub-optimal on this server? SEA players seem shy about closing with the enemy, which always leaves me by my lonesome tanking shots in my bow and trying to get into secondary range... 

2,217 posts
13,680 battles

Like ReNation said, spending the XP isn't optional. I would never leave a ship behind in the tree without it having reached elite status. As to should you purchase it; I would hate to see a crippled target escape death because I didn't get the extra range. About the only ones I won't buy would be certain CV loadouts.

[LBAS]
4,466 posts
25,606 battles

I'm pretty disappointed with the Bayern. The Konig had impressive accuracy and 2 more guns. It was worth it to upgrade its FKS to squeeze some range out of it.

Now I'm wondering if there's any point at all to spending 9K XP on the FKS upgrade when I can't seem to hit the broadside of an iceberg beyond 10km anyway.

As far as I can see, FKS doesn't improve accuracy right? It just makes the wild shots go farther, right?

Also... unrelated, but does anyone else feel like brawler ships with abysmal accuracy are sub-optimal on this server? SEA players seem shy about closing with the enemy, which always leaves me by my lonesome tanking shots in my bow and trying to get into secondary range... 

Did you play Nagato or Colorado?

Bayern just a low tier version of Nagato, Warspite alike.

The next Tier is worhty

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

German Bb from tier 6 onwards are fairly inaccurate much like the infamous New York derp guns. And beside Konig easily outclass the Kongo and NY , it is a very strong ship tier for tier.

Dont expect decent hit rate from them from tier 6 onward and you should be fine , the derpy acurracy is part of how the line is balanced yet still considered OP

422 posts

Get the range upgrade.

The max dispersion will will be nerfed a little bit, but you get a small buff to dispersion in the old range when you apply the math to it. 

Tried it as an experiment with Kongo and ARP version.  ARP version is fully upgraded, the only thing I didn't have on my regular Konga was range module, all Captain and upgrades the same. It was not as accurate as the ARP version in the same range area.

You can really see this with Fuso A hull.  It has almost the same dispersion has the upgraded range hulls, but almost half the range.  Get the range upgrade for a small accuracy buff in the old range of your guns.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

The idea of having a longer range is not for sitting back, it is there so that you can engage earlier while you are still closing on enemy ships. A +2km range will give you 1/2 extra salvo that you would normally do. And bayern has no planes to increase range in any other way. Longer range also helps with the fact that enemy is staying at max range and not coming towards you.

Don't forget that Bayern will frequently meet T8 ships, even cruisers will out range you and kite you easily. Range module that increases up to 19km (I guess 17km for bayern) is a must have in my opinion, whether you shoot at long distance is up to you, but it is good to have the option. Also, this is Asia, you have to get used to the meta. Don't get cocky with german citadel armor and get too close with ships like Colorado, NC very early on. They can cut you like butter (if the player is decent).

So I would say, go ahead and buy it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

IMO... Having longer range is to your advantage because you will be out ranged by other BBs and some CAs/CLs if you don't.. And you cannot always get close because our server has strong invisifiring and kiting meta... where players either stay invisible and shoot at you or just keep running away from you... With your speed you cannot chase down any or pull back in time...That is when you get to 15kms range from any ship... and Most of the time you brawl is at the end rather than in first 7mins... so you need to be alive for that amount of time...

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[LBAS]
4,466 posts
25,606 battles

Don't forget that Bayern will frequently meet T8 ships, even cruisers will out range you and kite you easily. Range module that increases up to 19km (I guess 17km for bayern) is a must have in my opinion, whether you shoot at long distance is up to you, but it is good to have the option. Also, this is Asia, you have to get used to the meta. Don't get cocky with german citadel armor and get too close with ships like Colorado, NC very early on. They can cut you like butter (if the player is decent).

here one of reasons why need to upgrade

T8 CA\CL with long range

Kutuzov 19.2

Hipper 17.7

Eugen 17.5

Chapayev 17.3

Orleans 16.2

Edited by MatterCore

22 posts
151 battles

IMO... Having longer range is to your advantage because you will be out ranged by other BBs and some CAs/CLs if you don't.. And you cannot always get close because our server has strong invisifiring and kiting meta... where players either stay invisible and shoot at you or just keep running away from you... With your speed you cannot chase down any or pull back in time...That is when you get to 15kms range from any ship... and Most of the time you brawl is at the end rather than in first 7mins... so you need to be alive for that amount of time...

Yeah, as I noted in the OP, the SEA server is quite unique in that players are quite shy about knife-fighting and prefer to snipe while sailing around in circles.

I've found the best strategy is simply not to chase them. If they don't want to engage me, I just let them be. It seems like passive play, but I've been caught out of position far too many times already to make that mistake.

This is really my biggest gripe about WoWS over WoT and War Thunder so far, the game forces you to herd up, at least if you're in a BB. I suppose the story is different for DD and CV.

If there are CVs in play, straying more than a few kilometers from the herd results in you getting massacred by torpedo bombers dropping within 1.5km of you, impossible to dodge even if you anticipate it with full rudder and empty throttle, you always eat one or two.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Don't forget that Bayern will frequently meet T8 ships, even cruisers will out range you and kite you easily. 

Bayern is a t6 John Cena, nothing can kite it.

Range module gives you better dispersion/km. So take it.

It's not like it's expensive or something.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

It's not like it's expensive or something.

Yah, its cheap, if you wonder that much about upgrades at T6, I don't know what you are going to do when you need to upgrade your FDG. 

22 posts
151 battles

Yah, its cheap, if you wonder that much about upgrades at T6, I don't know what you are going to do when you need to upgrade your FDG. 

It's 9K XP, it's only 80K XP to the Gneisenau, which is the smexy ship I really want...

But I doubt I'll get it to play it the way I want to given how gun shy this server seems to be...

341 posts
4,007 battles

Why do people all point out Bayern as inaccurate? I find her accuracy workable even at range... got First Blood Devastating Strike 2 games a row when I played her last.

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

Why do people all point out Bayern as inaccurate? I find her accuracy workable even at range... got First Blood Devastating Strike 2 games a row when I played her last.

Just play with her enough battle and u will see how poor it is. It place shoots all over the place and shell do not really land on a line which severely effect its damage potential. Bayern much like NY will miss targets 5km away frequently and shot will land on super structure if u aim at citadel lol

563 posts
4,686 battles

Just play with her enough battle and u will see how poor it is. It place shoots all over the place and shell do not really land on a line which severely effect its damage potential. Bayern much like NY will miss targets 5km away frequently and shot will land on super structure if u aim at citadel lol

Are you joking or something?

Git gud.

341 posts
4,007 battles

I have 21 victories in 32 battles and am close to completing the grind. Bayern has never caused any problems, even when stock, and I'm not even a particularly good player.

683 posts
7,334 battles

I have much less experience in IJN N USN BBs than KM BB. What I know is a module of increase gun accuracy by 11% in high tier USN BB was introduced as many people complained USN BB guns had bad accuracy (I guessed they compared to IJN BB?)

If that's the case, KM BB has worse accuracy compared to IJN ? USN BBs?

Back to topic, I would upgrade the range module on those ships, just its not the first. A lot of time opportunities missed when the target is out of range...

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles

Are you joking or something?

Git gud.

I am not joking , i play the Bayern and the tendency for shells to go places that are ridiculous are alot , just zoom in and focus on where the shell land compare to where you aim and you will see about that.

Poor dispersion is a fact , not a myth. And i mean poor at 12-14 km range not sniping range of 16 and upper.

You can target a ship and hit but you have NO WAY to control where the shell land on which section of the ship , thats why its bad

563 posts
4,686 battles

Poor dispersion is a fact , not a myth. And i mean poor at 12-14 km range not sniping range of 16 and upper.

On a Bayern it's a myth. 

Bayern for me has better accuracy per shell than both NM and Fuso. With 1,8 sigma, and slightly better horizontal dispersion than NM, only scrub say it's inaccurate.

I know ship with bad behaving guns. And Bayern is not one of em. When you say it's inaccurate and can't hit things even at 5km, the problem is with you.

683 posts
7,334 battles

I think the reason is Konig has 10 guns, while bayern has 8. The dispersion is more obvious in Bayern as less shells to fill up the blanks..

This will be more obvious when in Gneisenau, got better in Bismarck, a little worse in FDG some how, then got better in GK.

At least this is what I feel. 9 shells per salvo makes it feel better..

Just personal opinion... haha

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Agree with what darkworld said  here. NM and Fuso has lots of shells in the air than Bayern, so their inaccuracy go un-noticed compared to Bayern. All the tier 6 battleship (except Warspite) kinda has wonky accuracy. Accuracy of Bayern gets better after B hull. With A hull shells go all over the place.