You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

An escapable point in the map SHARDS.

5 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello,

So I was playing my Kongo battleship on the map Shards. Minding my business, providing fire support, you know the usual. But then all of a sudden while evading enemy fire I turned my ship tightly which kind of pushed my boat to the side quite a bit. Now shards is a map full of narrow island passages so I basically ended up slamming myself against an island and it turned out something like this:

geKTw4R.jpg

Now all is cool at this point and I understand that not all ships can traverse small waterways but what happened next kind of took me by surprise. I couldn't sail free. I literally permanently berthed myself into that small port right between the rocks in front and that little boat behind me. Whenever I reversed I would ram into the boat half way and get stuck like there was something stopping my reverse. If I accelerated and tried to turn at even 1/4, the Kongo, as she is, would take enough speed to turn but her rear half would hit the island basically making it impossible to turn outwards pass the rocks and I would run again into them.

I was literally a sitting duck for CV to farm xp where all their torpedoes had a field day drilling holes in my ship. I understand game mechanics introduced for reality sake but this kinda felt game breaking ergo a bug or so I felt. I mean even the map border allows you to swerve a bit when you slam into it. But this situation completely boxed me in with noway out. What do you folks think? Please feel free to post your opinions.

Edited by LonerPrime

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Tricky to get out of.

Hard stbd with engines stopped, wait for wheel to come on.

1/4 ahead until you run aground again.

Stop engines. Wait for engines to be fully stopped.

Hard port. Wait for wheel to come on fully.

Engines astern until you run aground again.

Stop Engines. Wait for engines to be fully stopped.

Rinse and repeat until you are out.

It WILL take a lot of mucking around but that's about the only way out.

The key to getting out of these spots is waiting until the engines/rudder are back to neutral before making the next move.

Edited by dead_man_walking

294 posts
2,997 battles

Thank you for the tip. Sadly you can only pull these time consuming maneuvers when you don't have the enemy right in front of your face and other team members have their attention. Unfortunately I had no such luxury since the enemy knew I was stuck and they all turned their guns/torpedoes towards a big juicy target, so I guess I was basically screwed?

If this isn't a bug, may I suggest though to make the NPC boat on that port a complete object? I mean as you can see from the screenshot below, a ship is capable of overlapping into that boat reversing themselves right into it until you hit the crew compartment section in the middle. If it is a whole object then you can reverse fast by side scrapping it like you would in a real situation.

kHUMEaS.jpg

I mean I am all for executing struggling movements but most of the time you end up taking your eyes off the battlefield and not be there when your team needs you the most. Rest of-course is up to you good folks.

Thank You and Regards,

LonerPrime

294 posts
2,997 battles

The island is fine in my opinion. It is the NPC boat that is problematic. It looks like a boat but is actually a smaller invisible box that practically cages your BB.