You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AkatsukiTeitoku

Akizuki: How do you not suck in it?

16 comments in this topic

59 posts
4,539 battles

I'm posting this because I want to improve, and stop being a liability to my team. I can't make the Akizuki (the duck) work. I just for the life of me can't make her work. My recent WR is sinking because of her, and I feel bad for my allies whenever I queue up and fail to do my part. My WR with the duck is a pathetic 27% (it's ok to laugh, I'd laugh as well). And I come here searching for some ways to improve, so I hope you take me seriously and refrain from the generic "git gud" comments.

I main the IJN DD line (more specifically, the torpboat line). I find the passive spray and pray playstyle to be relaxing and engaging at the same time, and do quite OK with it (I was certain that I'm gonna hate the Kagero when she replaced Buki, but she felt surprisingly pleasant).

I tried a bunch of ways to play the duck work. My experience are as follows:

1. Agressive and early cap. Engine boost to cap. Spot enemy DD. Engage. Gun him down. This failed miserably because often times, I get focused on by the enemies, and the duck being the slow unmaneuverable ship that she is, gets melted very fast. The concealment on the duck is something I'm not used to (something I took for granted on the other IJN DDs), so I get spotted first. I smoke up, they torp my smoke, and I have a very short game. Plan B then.

2. Play passive torpedoboat style. I don't even aim for caps early on. I stick right at cruiser range and see if there's someone I can torp. I quickly find this ineffective since I get to do next to nothing and my team would effectively lose 1 destroyer. Her torpedo armament is pretty weak with 4 torpedoes, torp reload boost notwithstanding.

3. Play as an oversized Atlanta, what ever that means. Abuse islands. Kemp smoke. Pew pew pew. Forget about early caps and burn down BBs. Use AP on broadside targets. It's ok, but highly situational. Plus kemping on smoke would get you torped, and with your BB level turing circle, doing torpedobeats is hard

So, now I don't have any idea how to play her.

BTW I have a 14pt captain on this ship (Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, DE, IFHE and CE). I can't stealth fire comfortable yet since I don't have AFT, and I chose CE over AFT for that extra concealment, which is still below Benson-level I believe.

So, how do you Akizuki? Thanks

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

If you get a WR below 30 on a surface ship, stop playing it. You need a relax. I'm not saying you do bad on it, it's NOT your problem. A bot will usually get 40-ish WR. A surface ship player that actively plays and not do anything bad to your team(TK or block your teammates' path often or something) getting below that is the MATCHMAKER's fault.

BTW it was the horrible 3x first win weekend, you need trusty division mates to keep your win rate, or have fun being crushed by opponent's unicum division and potatoes on your side.

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,442 battles

I'm posting this because I want to improve, and stop being a liability to my team. I can't make the Akizuki (the duck) work. I just for the life of me can't make her work. My recent WR is sinking because of her, and I feel bad for my allies whenever I queue up and fail to do my part. My WR with the duck is a pathetic 27% (it's ok to laugh, I'd laugh as well). And I come here searching for some ways to improve, so I hope you take me seriously and refrain from the generic "git gud" comments.

I main the IJN DD line (more specifically, the torpboat line). I find the passive spray and pray playstyle to be relaxing and engaging at the same time, and do quite OK with it (I was certain that I'm gonna hate the Kagero when she replaced Buki, but she felt surprisingly pleasant).

I tried a bunch of ways to play the duck work. My experience are as follows:

1. Agressive and early cap. Engine boost to cap. Spot enemy DD. Engage. Gun him down. This failed miserably because often times, I get focused on by the enemies, and the duck being the slow unmaneuverable ship that she is, gets melted very fast. The concealment on the duck is something I'm not used to (something I took for granted on the other IJN DDs), so I get spotted first. I smoke up, they torp my smoke, and I have a very short game. Plan B then.

2. Play passive torpedoboat style. I don't even aim for caps early on. I stick right at cruiser range and see if there's someone I can torp. I quickly find this ineffective since I get to do next to nothing and my team would effectively lose 1 destroyer. Her torpedo armament is pretty weak with 4 torpedoes, torp reload boost notwithstanding.

3. Play as an oversized Atlanta, what ever that means. Abuse islands. Kemp smoke. Pew pew pew. Forget about early caps and burn down BBs. Use AP on broadside targets. It's ok, but highly situational. Plus kemping on smoke would get you torped, and with your BB level turing circle, doing torpedobeats is hard

So, now I don't have any idea how to play her.

BTW I have a 14pt captain on this ship (Preventive Maintenance, Last Stand, DE, IFHE and CE). I can't stealth fire comfortable yet since I don't have AFT, and I chose CE over AFT for that extra concealment, which is still below Benson-level I believe.

So, how do you Akizuki? Thanks

Cover friendly DD who is going to cap

shoot what he shoot at if someone contesting the cap.

AKZK arent a solo boat and is a bad DD so getting easy games is hard

Edited by R3negade

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Do not do this. You've already figured out why - Akizuki is about the size of a light cruiser, slow, and very sluggish. If you try to play too aggressively with her, you're going to take a pounding, fast. Learning when to open fire and when to hold fire is an important survival skill in all ship classes, but more so for Akizuki.

2. Play passive torpedoboat style. I don't even aim for caps early on. I stick right at cruiser range and see if there's someone I can torp. I quickly find this ineffective since I get to do next to nothing and my team would effectively lose 1 destroyer. Her torpedo armament is pretty weak with 4 torpedoes, torp reload boost notwithstanding

Torpedoes on Akizuki are your backup weapon, not your primary one. Save them for close-quarters use, always have the tubes ready. Your rapid reload isn't for spamming two consecutive launches except on very, very, very rare occasions. Don't try to torpedoboat with it. Your primary weapons are your guns. 

3. Play as an oversized Atlanta, what ever that means. Abuse islands. Kemp smoke. Pew pew pew. Forget about early caps and burn down BBs. Use AP on broadside targets. It's ok, but highly situational. Plus kemping on smoke would get you torped, and with your BB level turing circle, doing torpedobeats is har

While this is *okay*, it's not really optimal use of Akizuki's strengths.

Basically, Akizuki plays differently depending if you have IFHE or not. If you do not have IFHE, keep a close eye on what enemy destroyers are on the other team. Same or lower tier than you, you can safely shoot at. Higher-tier, don't even engage them unless they're broadside AND engaging someone else. If you have IFHE, though, ambush predator time.

Akizuki basically has two main advantages. The first is a *truly* awesome rate of fire with a relatively flat trajectory at closer ranges, with just enough arc to shoot over islands at maximum. The second is a solid detection range giving her a solid stealthfire radius.

If you have IFHE, what you want to do is play a bit like a slow, stealthy Khabab. Approach capzones cautiously, preferably with another DD to support. *Wait* for enemy destroyers to poke in, first, make sure you know where they are while they don't know where you are. And once they're at the absolute threshold of your detection range and can't run, unleash the fury. Akizuki out-DPMs practically every other destroyer in a close quarters engagement, and with IFHE, angling won't help against your HE shells. An IFHE Akizuki can outfight even Fletchers and gives Gearing a run for it's money, and not to mention Akizuki has a large enough HP pool to survive a single torpedo hit from full health without Survivability Expert. Without IFHE, your tactics are going to be the same, but you'll have to pick targets more carefully - the lack of pen on the 10cm guns means that you can't really effectively fight same or higher tier destroyers. If you're facing higher-tier enemies without IFHE, withdraw before they get close enough to detect you. Although, regardless of whether or not you have IFHE, if an enemy DD is dumb enough to expose their broadsides (Kagerous like to do this), switch to AP and melt them.

For fighting larger vessels, you'll want to use two things - your stealthfire margin and your blistering RoF. HE shells without IFHE are going to have problems dealing damage, so switch to AP and aim for the superstructures. You're aiming to get regular and overpens on the large navigation bridges, pagodas, and other considerably less armoured superstructures instead of going for armour belt pens. Good aim basically nets you around 1-2k damage per salvo, and when you can have up to four salvoes in the air at the same time, that's going to add up. Basically, keep slicing off bits of HP wherever possible. It adds up. Again, save your smoke for when a large ship is within your stealthfire range, and save the torpedoes for anyone who tries to charge you.

If you get a WR below 30 on a surface ship, stop playing it. You need a relax. I'm not saying you do bad on it, it's NOT your problem. A bot will usually get 40-ish WR. A surface ship plager that actively plays getting below that is the MM's fault.

Statwise, Akizuki is actually currently borderline overperforming based on comparisons with other T8 destroyers. MM's not to blame for this.

59 posts
4,539 battles

If you get a WR below 30 on a surface ship, stop playing it. You need a relax. I'm not saying you do bad on it, it's NOT your problem. A bot will usually get 40-ish WR. A surface ship player that actively plays and not do anything bad to your team(TK or block your teammates' path often or something) getting below that is the MATCHMAKER's fault.

BTW it was the horrible 3x first win weekend, you need trusty division mates to keep your win rate, or have fun being crushed by opponent's unicum division and potatoes on your side.

I had a horrible weekend. I played the Akizuki 6 times, and had 6 losses. I kept urging myself to get that first win bonus, but after 2 hours of incompetence, I finally got myself to quit and call it a day. I slept with much regret.

Do not do this. You've already figured out why - Akizuki is about the size of a light cruiser, slow, and very sluggish. If you try to play too aggressively with her, you're going to take a pounding, fast. Learning when to open fire and when to hold fire is an important survival skill in all ship classes, but more so for Akizuki.

Torpedoes on Akizuki are your backup weapon, not your primary one. Save them for close-quarters use, always have the tubes ready. Your rapid reload isn't for spamming two consecutive launches except on very, very, very rare occasions. Don't try to torpedoboat with it. Your primary weapons are your guns. 

While this is *okay*, it's not really optimal use of Akizuki's strengths.

Basically, Akizuki plays differently depending if you have IFHE or not. If you do not have IFHE, keep a close eye on what enemy destroyers are on the other team. Same or lower tier than you, you can safely shoot at. Higher-tier, don't even engage them unless they're broadside AND engaging someone else. If you have IFHE, though, ambush predator time.

Akizuki basically has two main advantages. The first is a *truly* awesome rate of fire with a relatively flat trajectory at closer ranges, with just enough arc to shoot over islands at maximum. The second is a solid detection range giving her a solid stealthfire radius.

If you have IFHE, what you want to do is play a bit like a slow, stealthy Khabab. Approach capzones cautiously, preferably with another DD to support. *Wait* for enemy destroyers to poke in, first, make sure you know where they are while they don't know where you are. And once they're at the absolute threshold of your detection range and can't run, unleash the fury. Akizuki out-DPMs practically every other destroyer in a close quarters engagement, and with IFHE, angling won't help against your HE shells. An IFHE Akizuki can outfight even Fletchers and gives Gearing a run for it's money, and not to mention Akizuki has a large enough HP pool to survive a single torpedo hit from full health without Survivability Expert. Without IFHE, your tactics are going to be the same, but you'll have to pick targets more carefully - the lack of pen on the 10cm guns means that you can't really effectively fight same or higher tier destroyers. If you're facing higher-tier enemies without IFHE, withdraw before they get close enough to detect you. Although, regardless of whether or not you have IFHE, if an enemy DD is dumb enough to expose their broadsides (Kagerous like to do this), switch to AP and melt them.

For fighting larger vessels, you'll want to use two things - your stealthfire margin and your blistering RoF. HE shells without IFHE are going to have problems dealing damage, so switch to AP and aim for the superstructures. You're aiming to get regular and overpens on the large navigation bridges, pagodas, and other considerably less armoured superstructures instead of going for armour belt pens. Good aim basically nets you around 1-2k damage per salvo, and when you can have up to four salvoes in the air at the same time, that's going to add up. Basically, keep slicing off bits of HP wherever possible. It adds up. Again, save your smoke for when a large ship is within your stealthfire range, and save the torpedoes for anyone who tries to charge you.

Statwise, Akizuki is actually currently borderline overperforming based on comparisons with other T8 destroyers. MM's not to blame for this.

So, to play Akizuki, I must embrace stealth-firing? 

With a 1km buffer to stealth fire, it's pretty hard to do (again, I don't have AFT). 

Tho it's good to know that the problem isn't the ship, but me, so that's something to look up to.

Now, the question is, how much more would my WR suffer until I do decent in her? Because my stubbornness is only matched by my inability to realize a lost cause.

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

I think it is MM's fault. If one plays bad, he will get lower WR, but one can't be as bad as a AFK bot right? Unless he does something bad to the team or play a class that affect how the game goes real much(CV). DD do affect game much, but not as much as a CV.

I played 24 games on my GK yesterday and had a WR of 29% and even if I do get great results, my team always lose. I didn't tk or anything but even a bot can beat my WR. In one instance I sunk three cruisers almost entirely by myself, two Zao and an Edinburgh, but still a lose. Or another one which I sunk enemy Mogami and Minotaur in the starting minutes and landed three citadels on Montana, still lost.

I personally think I play GK fairly well, before the devastating day I got a WR of over 57 solo, and even now over 54.5. And I play GK pretty much everyday so I wasn't performing badly that day, and even if I did, 29% WR(23% solo) isn't supposed to happen.

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

I wouldn't blame weekend stats on any boat. Last weekend was a mare.

Using Speed Boost to get to a cap just makes your turn radius larger when you finally get spotted. Save SB for getting AWAY from enemy.

Don't fire your guns (increasing spotting range) until you are aimed at your exit route.

Support other DD's. If you get a smart ally with low detect they will spot for you while you fire, and you can obscure your location with smoke.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

So, to play Akizuki, I must embrace stealth-firing? 

With a 1km buffer to stealth fire, it's pretty hard to do (again, I don't have AFT). 

Tho it's good to know that the problem isn't the ship, but me, so that's something to look up to.

Now, the question is, how much more would my WR suffer until I do decent in her? Because my stubbornness is only matched by my inability to realize a lost cause.

yea

you need to kite ships betwen those 1 km buffer. its quite hard due to her horrid speed 

I only get Akizuki, myself (just 3 days ago) and play her like 10 games only

so far, my stats were quite OK with her. aside my 30% survivability - other stats quite decent I quess

While Im quite lack experience in this ship yet - so Im not confidence in tell "how to akizuki" to  other people yet. however I have some comment about her too

my advice would be pick Priorty target over preventive maintance

that skill is great for any gunboat, because gunboat dont shy away from being spotted if they need too. and information about people that targeting you can make a diffrence betwen cassualy burn disstracted enemy or blowing smoke because 6 ships now have gun pointed at you

other advice were, she play like US DD or Russian

and  so, you need to be full of confidence when picking a fight with other DD. cause US DD and her, can easily dictate engangement on their own term

you dont want to be the first one to blow smoke on DD on DD engagment. you have supperiority over them, they should cower and be the first one to turn tail or blow a smoke

priority target once again can help you, in this kind of situation, should you prolong the engangment or re-cloak to stealh mode

this is a quite departure from IJN DD mindset, but  people with decent experience handling russian and US boat should enjoy this ship, quite a lot

Edited by humusz

345 posts
3,668 battles

Matchmaking is trolling me everytime i play akizuki. 

start of battle:

- we have better ships, we can win this.

5 mins in:

- half of my team dead. enemy didn't lose a single ship

15 mins in:

- lose.

59 posts
4,539 battles

change your ID to AkizukiTeitouku and belive that the power of LOVE TO YOUR WAIFU will carry the day

If someone would kindly donate me the doubloons needed for the IGN change, then I'll happily oblige

A bit of info regarding my IGN:

it's actually based on a group of renegade shinobi wearing oversized black coats with red cloud designs, marauding villages in search of some mythical animals that live inside people. And the 11th undisclosed member of the squad happens to be an admiral.

And it's not at all related to a certain elephant lady at tier 7.

The Akizukis ae pretty high up in my list of likable destroyers, but not my top 1. Tho I kinda relate to having a sort of morale booster before the start of the match, looking at something like this always calms me down

it's like she's saying: let's do our best this time, ok?

__akizuki_and_chou_10cm_hou_chan_kantai_

Anyways, so back to topic. The HE on the Aki, even with HE, seems to still struggle with dealing damage on the superstructures of BBs, as I get, like, 40% non-penetrations on superstructure hits. Ofc I'm sticking to HE until I get a fire done, which is hard because of IFHE.

Well, at least her HE won't be useless.

And oh yeah, I have come across Fletchers and Gearings on this ship multiple times, and I have heard the "myths" that she can outright beat both on a gunfight. Until now, I have not seen the theory being put into practiced, as I am most of the time, had drawn the shorter stick on those encounters. Maybe because HE deals low normal damage and AP is situational. Can she really "melt Gearings"? I'd like to see a video of that.

Edited by AkatsukiTeitoku