Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kleiss

a way of landing torpedo hits better

8 comments in this topic

451 posts
6,946 battles

been in quite a number of shima and benson games, and I've found that getting your teammates to completely ignore the target you just drop your torpedoes at significantly increases their hitrate. 

It is quite obvious to many people already, but many people still get the instinct to go trigger happy on target chosen by their dd. as a result, target turns into ally ship, and dd torps miss. by leaving the target alone and not even pointing guns at it, it will make the target's player lower his guard and most likely maintain its heading for a longer period of time.

communication is important in this. if u get into a very good position to drop torps and ur team still insists on peppering that ship instead of other threats, tell them to ceasefire, switch targets and pretend that ship isn't a threat. (still angle against it though)

this gets increasingly effective at higher tiers where players somehow communicate in addition to the poorer maneuverability of the heavier ships.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Launching at enemies coming around island is actually really hard now that people stop right before they turn either to camp behind it, or they just predict that there will be torps coming at them.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

quite an interesting point

I wonder if there's any experiments or statistics about this strategy

but as a IJN DD player

I really agree that teammates attention affects a lot in DD torpedo's hit rate

there're countless times that an air strike or teammates' fire drive away my target from my prediction

currently this strategy won't work as teammates seldom trust each other

but it may work when more people know this

with higher awareness, people can work intellegently

just like how they evade our torpedoes around the island

If we spread this idea throughout the forum, it'll come true

but hopefully, losing enemy's attention won't become a well-known sign of incoming torpedo

Edited by CarbonMonoxide

[LNA]
1,662 posts
10,457 battles

Most effective method i found is to use 2 sets of torps : one where lead indicator point out and the other slightly behind it ( if target is in high speed mode , opposite if it is low speed ). If you have a third set , use it when he has done a 90 degree turn already or when he turn back on course after dodging the 2 sets.

3rd set can also be used slightly delayed to trap the other ship but it is risky.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

Given the range of torpedoes these days, it is almost impossible to get hit on something going away from you. Be the enemy ship for a moment. Think about friendlies surrounding you, and the enemy's possible movement, will he continue the push or break off. What would you do if you were driving that ship. Drop accordingly. And you might try dropping on the white indicator zone, if enemy is close and in a rush, I usually drop half forward and half behind on the shaded zone to make a wall. This usually get hits.

Sign in to follow this