You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArmoredMedic

Why can't we have +/-1 tier MM instead of the +/-2 tier we have now?

61 comments in this topic

22 posts
151 battles

For those old timers from WoT, you will remember that WoT used to be +/- 4 tiers MM.

This was when the playerbase was quite small. As the playerbase grew, the MM became +/- 2 tiers and is still that way today, as is the case in WoWS.

Given the huge server populations (SEA being the exception unfortunately) WoWS and WoT enjoy, why do we still subject ourselves to +/-2 tiers when the wait for MM is basically instantaneous?

I'd like to see a +/-1 tier weekend experiment to see how low the queues are. I think the narrowing of the MM bracket might even encourage more people to play the game and reduce queue times while increasing the playerbase.

67 posts
14 battles

Yes very important...sick i always being 2 tier lower and it's a lvl5 ship.

Well, tier 5 gets +2/-1 when there's no tier 6s and +2 only when there is. Not really the fault of +/-2 MM, just the annoying MM that tier 5 is currently in.

WoWs when +/- 3 MM was around was.... interesting.

Video Contributor
2,259 posts
10,782 battles

Well, tier 5 gets +2/-1 when there's no tier 6s and +2 only when there is. Not really the fault of +/-2 MM, just the annoying MM that tier 5 is currently in.

WoWs when +/- 3 MM was around was.... interesting.

2CVs and bomber type ok RIP

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles

+/-1 will be fine if there is no 2 cv per team match in which case it is ez farm for 4 players. Tier 5/6 is notorious for bad AA and if it is +/-1 there is no high tier AA platform there to save you. That is my take on the proposal though it is true that it will make general life much more pleasant

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,825 posts
4,103 battles

I guess the population need to accept that if we went to +-1MM and properly weighted classes then there will be significant wait times for games.    I play NA and regularly see 16k on that server yet 10K is average for here.

381 posts
9,957 battles

Cuz WG thinks low queue time must be top priority (yeah they stated that in a reddit Q&A) although Dota 2 and League of Legends proved the opposite. And some masochists prefer +2 MM so they can "challenge" themselves.

1,386 posts
8,222 battles

We actually had +-3 MM long ago, and back then citadel hits didn't over pen and BB guns were more accurate. You can imagine how much salt a PepsiCola wound have when he unfortunately met Yamato.

Then it was changed to +-2.

Later some low tiers' MM was changed

T1 meet T1 only

T2 0/+1

T3-4 +-1

So we are seeing a better MM as the player base grows. But it will probably be some time before a full scale +-1 gets implemented, and what's the fun of T10 if you don't get to club T8 ships?

Edited by _Halcyon

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles

We actually had +-3 MM long ago, and back then citadel hits didn't over pen and BB guns were more accurate. You can imagine how much salt a PepsiCola wound have when he unfortunately met Yamato.

Then it was changed to +-2.

Later some low tiers' MM was changed

T1 meet T1 only

T2 0/+1

T3-4 +-1

So we are seeing a better MM as the player base grows. But it will probably be some time before a full scale +-1 gets implemented, and what's the fun of T10 if you don't get to club T8 ships?

So when will we get full only XXX match to prove our superiority over the common plebs :trollface:

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Just the number of players is not enough reason. MM also depends on players queuing up with specific ship classes, tiers etc. So, when you see we have to wait 2 minutes for a +2/-2 MM, it will easily be a 5+ minutes of queue time just to find the right ships even at peak hours. Onlt T1 and T10 will never be bottom tier, other than that, you just have to learn to deal with it. As far as I know, tier difference is not the main reason for your defeats or not being able to play well. Enemy team also have more or less same amount of those tiers as well.

22 posts
151 battles

I get the low population issue.

Easy to way resolve it is to turn off Co-Op mode after a player has exceeded 200 or so battles in any mode.

Best solution is simply to make MM flexible. As in making +/- 1 tier when it can, but capable of going +/- 2 tiers when it needs to due to low population.

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

I get the low population issue.

Easy to way resolve it is to turn off Co-Op mode after a player has exceeded 200 or so battles in any mode.

Best solution is simply to make MM flexible. As in making +/- 1 tier when it can, but capable of going +/- 2 tiers when it needs to due to low population.

But what about players like me who wants to play co-op every now and then? Why would you not allow us to play what we like to play?

22 posts
151 battles

But what about players like me who wants to play co-op every now and then? Why would you not allow us to play what we like to play?

Because you're not the only person who plays this game.

I'm sure every single player of WoWS has things they would like to see changed in the game. If we had a game mode for every single one of these player types so that they're "allowed to play what they like to play", we wouldn't have enough people to form teams.

We all have to compromise a little so the MM can form teams quickly. 

The majority of players play Random Battles, almost exclusively, so narrowing the MM spread to 1 tier benefits the greatest number of players.

Edited by ArmoredMedic

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Because you're not the only person who plays this game.

I'm sure every single player of WoWS has things they would like to see changed in the game. If we had a game mode for every single one of these player types so that they're "allowed to play what they like to play", we wouldn't have enough people to form teams.

We all have to compromise a little so the MM can form teams quickly. 

The majority of players play Random Battles, almost exclusively, so narrowing the MM spread to 1 tier benefits the greatest number of players.

Meh, you are not only player either and I like and very much enjoy +2/-2 MM. There you go. 

Play more before forming a rubbish opinion like that. LOL. You played 59 random battles, compared to my 2.4k randoms and 2k co-ops, most players here played even more than that.

Edited by icy_phoenix

22 posts
151 battles

Meh, you are not only player either and I like and very much enjoy +2/-2 MM. There you go. 

Play more before forming a rubbish opinion like that. LOL. You played 59 random battles, compared to my 2.4k randoms and 2k co-ops, most players here played even more than that.

I think it's fairly clear from this thread people prefer 1 tier spread over 2 (all else being equal)... which is unsurprising considering basic human sanity.

You do too; you won't admit it of course because this is the internet and everyone is super unicum.

Thank you for reiterating your stats. I'm partially blind so I didn't see them in your giant e-peen signature.

Edited by ArmoredMedic

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

I think it's fairly clear from this thread people prefer 1 tier spread over 2 (all else being equal)... which is unsurprising considering basic human sanity.

You do too; you won't admit it of course because this is the internet and everyone is super unicum.

Thank you for reiterating your stats. I'm partially blind so I didn't see them in your giant e-peen signature.

Yes, opinion changes through experience, may be your's will too, once you have played sufficient amount of games. I am not against +1/-1 MM, but I am against removing a game mode that a huge number of player plays everyday for various purposes. +2/-2 MM has its own benefit which you probably won't understand even if I try to describe, and like countless many other cry for +1/-1 MM threads, this is also utmost redundant and pointless. When WG think it is time, they will implement it, before that, we will be playing it as it is now. They are fully aware of the situation and complains against it.
Edited by icy_phoenix

22 posts
151 battles

Yes, opinion changes through experience, may be your's will too, once you have played sufficient amount of games. I am not against +1/-1 MM, but I am against removing a game mode that a huge number of player plays everyday for various purposes. +2/-2 MM has its own benefit which you probably won't understand even if I try to describe, and like countless many other cry for +1/-1 MM threads, this is also utmost redundant and pointless. When WG think it is time, they will implement it, before that, we will be playing it as it is now. They are fully aware of the situation and complains against it.

Are you for real?

Assuming you are, please, do enlighten me as to how widening the MM spread improves the player experience.

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,907 battles

Are you for real?

Assuming you are, please, do enlighten me as to how widening the MM spread improves the player experience.

Because when you are two tiers higher u get to club those ships easily below you.

Gives a sense of superiority and felling of unicum player getting the easy kills, against a ship that can't shoot back at the same range and has a smaller hp pool 

I have always belived  that the +2 mm is some kind of reward for t10 when u play a t8 and constantly get uptiered. It's BS

No one likes being disadvantaged all we want is a reasonable playing field so to speak, and +1 is a lot fairer. At least u are able to compete 

I am not a great player my stats suggest below average ( to those who cannot help themselves and look me up) - but if I have to wait a bit more in line to get a game - so what 

22 posts
151 battles

Because when you are two tiers higher u get to club those ships easily below you.

Gives a sense of superiority and felling of unicum player getting the easy kills, against a ship that can't shoot back at the same range and has a smaller hp pool 

I have always belived  that the +2 mm is some kind of reward for t10 when u play a t8 and constantly get uptiered. It's BS

No one likes being disadvantaged all we want is a reasonable playing field so to speak, and +1 is a lot fairer. At least u are able to compete 

I am not a great player my stats suggest below average ( to those who cannot help themselves and look me up) - but if I have to wait a bit more in line to get a game - so what 

Exactly.

When you consider other popular MOAB games, the idea of fighting higher tiered opponents on a regular basis becomes a little silly.

While it's not possible with WoWS smaller population, WoT on the RU and EU servers could easily go to a +/- 0 tier MM spread and still have instantaneous MM with no wait times.

Why WG doesn't do this is beyond me really.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Well Dude I know you play when players are almost 4k so.. Yeah that explains why you want +2 MM because at that point it takes 1:30mins to make a match... And There is also a thing... Divisions, you play in 3 player division most of the time.. and if I'm not wrong you have just over 200 solo battles.. 

So maybe try more solo and If I'm not wrong you and me had joined the game before +2 was implemented and the T5 and T6 grind was easy not like today where grind was soo much hard for the same tiers...

What I'm saying is you have your opinion and he has his own... probably OP is facing hard to grind through constant +2 matches..  And you don't really need to bring up stats..

And I can wait even 5 mins to match up against of same tier or +1 because it is more fairer compared to +2... 

Players form failed divisions to cheat the +2 MM which lot of times they fail to... and put the team in more trouble by doing that...

Super Tester
7,522 posts
7,978 battles

Well Dude I know you play when players are almost 4k so.. Yeah that explains why you want +2 MM because at that point it takes 1:30mins to make a match... And There is also a thing... Divisions, you play in 3 player division most of the time.. and if I'm not wrong you have just over 200 solo battles.. 

So maybe try more solo and If I'm not wrong you and me had joined the game before +2 was implemented and the T5 and T6 grind was easy not like today where grind was soo much hard for the same tiers...

What I'm saying is you have your opinion and he has his own... probably OP is facing hard to grind through constant +2 matches..  And you don't really need to bring up stats..

And I can wait even 5 mins to match up against of same tier or +1 because it is more fairer compared to +2... 

Players form failed divisions to cheat the +2 MM which lot of times they fail to... and put the team in more trouble by doing that...

May be you didn't read his first response about my innocent co-op mode. I know you whine a lot about +2/-2 MM everywhere, so I will just pass this comment. And about stats, most of the ships I played solo have better stats than my division stats. You are telling me that I will completely suck if I try to play solo in a -2MM? Ok, I'll see about that and let you know.
Edited by icy_phoenix

[BRU]
279 posts
2,056 battles

I don't like getting into a tier 7/8 game when I'm on a tier 5 or 6 ship, but it's satisfying when you sink a ship two tiers higher than you. I don't really mind the current MM overall.

I also don't like to wait 5 minutes just to get into a match, unless there are few players online. I'd rather wait on Ranked Battles than on Randoms.

Failing that, I'd like to at least see it during peak periods. Revert to +/-2 off peak.

This is probably the best solution out there, I think.
Edited by EJL

455 posts
8,038 battles

I'm pretty tired of the +2 mm, especially at t8 which is mostly uptiered to t10 or at least t9. What can my poor amazing do against 3 Yamatos except hide behind our own Yamato and hope they focus on him instead :3. And those damn Moskvas who somehow can bounce and break 90% of my shells at 15 km. And the rare t10 cv in games with invincible planes....