You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

problematic MM for tier 5 and 6

17 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,613 battles

before we start this is purely my opinion alone, not someone i know or from reading another post nor from watching youtube videos. 

After WG changing tier 2 - 4 MM (if i'm not wrong) and directly affect tier 5 and 6 MM, i rarely played tier 5 - 6 anymore.

i don't know when was the last time i take my new mexico or minekaze/kamikaze R to a battle, even though before those tier and ships are what i played the most, but not anymore, not after the changes. 
what makes me keep playing this game is that i already have enough tier 7+ ships to keep me entertained, so i don't have to worry about constantly being the victim of bad matchmaking, and after almost 4k battles i could say i know the basic mechanic of the game and thus for me this is not a huge issue, but if i were a new player that don't have acces to tier 7+ ships and have to grind my way from tier 1 all the way to tier 7 without really understand of how the game works, the meta, tactic etc due to the lack of experience, i don't think i could still playing the game, because right now whenever there is an announcement about new lines i'm not really that excited anymore, because i remember the time when i have to grind my German battleships through tier 5 - 7 i have to use flags and exp cammo to make the grind more comfortable, which is another thing that new player don't have acces to.

and if i have to went through something like that again i could, i still could, but grinding a new line wouldn't be my top priority, and would take me a long time to get my 'target' ship, like i did with bismarck.

and the point is if it is possible i want WG to change the MM to what is used to be, when making money and seal clubbing is still fun, and so is grinding new line, but if  it's not possible then it is still okay for me, because i love this game, and playing tier 7+ ships is not that bad right? and at tier 7 making money i still possible, even though it is slower, and regardless it's still fun.

and for the last time before someone get triggered, this is purely 100% my opinon and this is what i feel about the game, thank you for reading.  

1,105 posts

yes! no more tier 8 BB in tier 6 battle! or at least reduce their AA :V

or there should be only 1 CV in each team...... or 2 CV but with the same tier. i dont want to face Saipan with Ryujo :V

AND THIS IS WEIRD......

MM always try to pool the bad player againts the good player.....

and its trying to give you 3 streak win or 3 streak lose :V

btw, i think i should rush to Hiryu....

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Well I raised same topic lot of times(Link) There will always be those players who play ships which particularly have preferential MM... and say No MM is fine... All they want to do is feed off 2 tiers lower than them..

And At this Moment MM is one of the problems WG should really concentrate on because I see lot of players having mental breakdown because of that, Particularly T5 and T6 as you said... 

1,494 posts

Yes I agree, constantly being a 5 being put into tier 7 battles, or tier 6 into a tier 8 is crap. How am I supposed to enjoy being Arizona, being hunted by Bismarck, or other tier 8 cruisers?  Or krazny krym against buddyonny or Scharnhorst? 

I have a hard enough time playing Imperator Nikolai against 2 CVs.

Ordrazz

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

I do concur with this.

If i do take out tier 5 its ships that can deal damage to tier 7 (gremy, kami, fujin, etc (DD theme there?)), or Buddy as it can hold its own easily.

I do sympathise with players that are grinding ships, more so stock ones, i.e. Omaha, Kongo, New York etc, they get up tiered. 

Personally after the amount of time its been in, id state we should remove the +/- 1 MM for tier 2, 3 and 4 and grant them the +/- 2 MM that is at all levels.

It doesnt do players any favours moving from those MM games into tier 7 ones when they rush into a cap as a cruiser and get obliterated as they arent aware of the damage that higher tier ships have, nor the respect they should have for working as a team.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

Since the MM changes to screw over T5/6 this topic repeatedly comes up on all servers and reddit because it is really annoying the player base, I personally loved playing the New Mexico & Texas but since I constantly get up-tiered 2 Levels with them they are just rusting away in my port :( I really hope this year WG does something about this rather than just saying everything is fine, as It's not. 

When a new player gets his/her first T5 they get thrown into a shark tank that has been chummed up and get savaged, can't be a fun experience for them.

345 posts
3,668 battles

When i went for the german bb line, the tiers i enjoyed the most were tier 5 and 6 :amazed:

sOrv79j.jpg

German BBs don't care about the +2 matchmaking in V and VI, they can't be citadeled by tier 7 and 8 BBs anyway.

Edited by Loshirai14

223 posts
8,238 battles

That's why many people suffer from this stupidly 'balanced' MM. For instance, tier 5 and 6 ships suffer the most because most of the time they got matched up against tier 7 and 8 matches, where the ships have an enormous power spike. It would be more comfortable for tier 5 and 6 players if they only got matched up against MM +1,-1  max (meaning tier 5s will only get into tier 4+5, 5+6, tier 6s will get into tier 5+6, 6+7)

295 posts
6,613 battles

Weird think is WG claimed that people are saying tier 4 getting into tier 6 battles is unfair and decided to change the mm, yet I never read a post about that in forum

Edited by Teostra

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Weird think is WG claimed that people are saying tier 3 getting into tier 6 battles is unfair and decided to change the mm, yet I never read a post about that in forum

Back at release BBs had a +/- 3 tiers MM. Was not funny for the Kawachi sailing up against a Fuso.

They removed it all to +/- 2 MM which was fine.

I still think the +/- 1 MM should be removed.

295 posts
6,613 battles

Back at release BBs had a +/- 3 tiers MM. Was not funny for the Kawachi sailing up against a Fuso.

They removed it all to +/- 2 MM which was fine.

I still think the +/- 1 MM should be removed.

I mean tier 4 getting into tier 6, that was typo sorry

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,506 battles

My Imperator Nikolai says no, leave MM it is fine.....

my Texas says arrrggghh, MM is broken.

Jokes aside as it stands I think the +1 mm does the evolving player base no favours.just think about it, you've picked soviet cruisers as your first line, get to the Svetlana, think wow I'm gonna be the man when get that Kirov. Then when you get it, Nagato says 'Hello'. Saipan says 'Hello', and so on.

[AE]
202 posts
9,502 battles

I think the most important thing to remember is that the +2/-2 spread is pointless. A single tier spread would not increase wait times significantly.

Arguments can be made about all sorts of things, but in the end remember that the argument that the wider spread decreases wait times is a nonsense.

Even if it did, most would be willing to wait an extra minute or so for a fair game.

WG just isn't willing to change it, I think because I think they believe that players, constantly outgunned, will try to get to tier X faster, in the mistaken belief that things will then be ok.

If you hate PVP matchmaking, just play PVE, as the ships on each side are identical. Once enough people give up on a mode that gives you 3-5 times more xp, but for 3 times the game length, and involves incredibly passive play (Whereas bots in PVE just go hell for leather), they may move to a single tier spread.

295 posts
6,613 battles

I think the most important thing to remember is that the +2/-2 spread is pointless. A single tier spread would not increase wait times significantly.

Arguments can be made about all sorts of things, but in the end remember that the argument that the wider spread decreases wait times is a nonsense.

Even if it did, most would be willing to wait an extra minute or so for a fair game.

WG just isn't willing to change it, I think because I think they believe that players, constantly outgunned, will try to get to tier X faster, in the mistaken belief that things will then be ok.

If you hate PVP matchmaking, just play PVE, as the ships on each side are identical. Once enough people give up on a mode that gives you 3-5 times more xp, but for 3 times the game length, and involves incredibly passive play (Whereas bots in PVE just go hell for leather), they may move to a single tier spread.

Then WG should change all tier MM to +1 so there are no tiers suffering from this problem, yet wg did nothing and keep silent about this issue, even though youtuber like flamu saying that current tier 5 - 6 is 'unpleasant' , and looks like people on reddit saying the same thing

Super Tester
419 posts
4,223 battles

WG want +2/-2 for more diversity
Playerbase want +1/-1 for more balance
I say WG make a petition for player to vote and decide what they want.

A better MM for lower tier gonna boost the player base because less 'What am I suppose to do when they nuke me far beyond my range' while more ships mean 'This ship look kind of fun, I should get it'. At the end of the day, it fall to WG to make the decision

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Last year I saw div tier 1 when I played tier 7 *split*

won't see that anymore - got patched out quite some time ago - divisions have had a +/-1 requirement for over 6 months!