You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LonerPrime

A question to experienced BB players.

22 comments in this topic

294 posts
2,997 battles

Hello WoWs Community,

First post here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. I joined the game last September but due to personal issues I had to drop playing. Thanks to that I even missed the Arpeggio event :(. Anyways I picked the game once more and started down the IJN BB road. I read on various forums that Miyagi is the problem child of the tree and that from Kongo things start getting better. Unfortunately, it seems it is going in reverse for me.

I admit, I did struggle with Miyogi but once I had it upgraded and got comfy with its quirks, I was doing pretty good in close quarters with that ship. Even at mid range I was able to connect quite a bit of shells. But once I got to Kongo... I don't know why but I am struggling hard to get past that high shell curve. Even at mid range the shell rises quite a bit. Thanks to that either I am going over the enemy ship or just throwing shells left or right.

What is making it all difficult is that I am playing the US BB line as well trying to go down the carrier path and I am doing pretty good with US battleships. Right now I am at S. Carolina and most shots I make are almost straight with lesser curve so I am actually connecting quite a bit of shots even at 10KM range while I am somewhat missing targets with Kongo at the same range.

So my ultimate question is, am I not suited to play IJN BB line? Are all Japanese BB blessed with slow speed/high arc shells past Kongo? I understand that Japanese BB are snipers for the most part but is there a trick to mastering them that I don't understand yet? I mean I do make advance calculations on the shell trajectory and where my target would be once my shell reaches it but while I am fairly succeeding in S. Carolina in doing so, I am mostly failing hard with Kongo. Honestly, I have nothing against USN BB, I just am smitten by the historical legend of Yamato so I wanted to sail that ship someday. But if it is gonna be a pain all the way to her, I might as well make my peace with that fact and stop at Kongo.

Apologies again if this felt as a rant, I assure you that wasn't my intent. I am just looking for an experienced take on the matter and maybe some advice if possible.

Thank You.

Kind Regards,

LonerPrime

Edited by LonerPrime

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,284 posts

It purely depends on your play style.

Do you prefer sniping at medium ranges or brawling up close?

IJN BB's have relatively accurate guns but lack armour, whereas USN BB's have not so accurate guns (except Arizona) but relatively good armour.

It's up to the way you decide to play them. Both branches are great and the ships become progressively better as you grind your way up.

Good luck!

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

Super Tester
1,310 posts

dont use HE.

use AP shell.

HE shell on kongo is freakin slow(lost speed to much). while the AP shell is moderately fast(a bit slow but not loosing speed to much). fuso use same gun and same shell as kongo. 

nagato and amagi shell is faster. but felt almost same like kongo/fuso.

while izumo shell is like a railgun (that speed and that flat arc, not flat. but its relative flat for a BB).

while the yamato, shooting shell like releasing a rainbow

as for USN BB, wyoming shell is hella fast.

while new york-colorado, the shell speed is decent. not slow. but not fast.

NC is different story. while the AP is hard hitting, its slow. i found that NC effective range is around 14km or less. (ideally less than 12km)

in iowa(and montana too probably). the shell speed got pump up, its faster and make it easier to hit farther target compared to NC.

if u want fast speed shell, with relative flat shooting arc,

probably german BB is what u need.

but, german BB has trait that is not cured even if u go up the tier. its the accuracy. the dispersion circle on german BB is just worst out of the 3 nation.

85 posts
4,522 battles

a little heads-up:

Don't believe the "IJN BBs should just camp 18km away and snipe!"

My most effective ranges are 11-16km. I'm currently at the Nagato, and despite what they say about IJN BB armor being trash, it does work if you know how to WASD and angle.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Thank you all 4 of you for your guidance. After reading the suggestions I immersed myself into the game for a complete day trying to work out the cause behind my issues. Fortunately, after implementing your suggestions I started doing quite a bit better with the Kongo. Though it is still not satisfactory in my books but I do believe after getting to practice the Kongo's play-style a bit better whilst upgrading her, we will come to understand each other eventually. Also I decided to get the WG ModPack and make the switch from default cross-hair to the spider one where I could see where my shells would land if I were to watch it from a bird's eye view. I think that helped quite a bit since the high shell arc was actually throwing off my calculations unlike the S. Carolina or Wyoming's flat arc shells. Guess it is hard to let go off your habits of WOT especially when your favorite vehicle is the JagdTiger who is infamous for its laser pin point accuracy.

Again thank you all for the tips. Now onwards to debating with myself if I should go down the IJN or USN carrier line. :S

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

I played BB's early I the game and never really enjoyed them. The economy favoured snipers and IJN was the preferred ship. I died a lot because I always preferred to close the gap and knife fight.   Bunch of flute kongos and other ships sit in my dock I played   Once economy changes came in and the German line came I went back and tried them.  I enjoy the Arizona because is reasonably accurate but truly enjoy the Germans.  Spec them for secondaries and pew pew bow on at 5-7km is great fun.  Just work out what suits you.

294 posts
2,997 battles

Simply

If you want easy wins and don't care about skills -German BB

If you really want to improve and be good at the game- USN BB

If you want to be one of those useless sniper at 20km, IJN BB

Good lord are they that bad? I mean people hate Miyogi but I really liked it for its shell placement and my whole beef with Kongo is that the arc stays way too much in the air even at 10 to 14km range. Though I am getting the hang of it but truly you can't be serious when you say IJN are only long range useless snipers only.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,830 posts
4,110 battles

No.  They are drive by long range useless snipers.   People who aren't aware that the economy and damage costs have changed and it doesn't matter whether you finish the game on 1% health or 100% health you pay the same for repairs

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

No.  They are drive by long range useless snipers.   People who aren't aware that the economy and damage costs have changed and it doesn't matter whether you finish the game on 1% health or 100% health you pay the same for repairs

Simply

If you want easy wins and don't care about skills -German BB

If you really want to improve and be good at the game- USN BB

If you want to be one of those useless sniper at 20km, IJN BB

IJN BBs are strong if you know how to play them right, which means less sniping at long range and more at mid-close range.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

IJN BBs are strong if you know how to play them right, which means less sniping at long range and more at mid-close range.

Tell that to yamatos who love fooling around 18km sniping like a scrub the whole time. IT IS TIER X you know and THEY STILL DONT GET IT

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Tell that to yamatos who love fooling around 18km sniping like a scrub the whole time. IT IS TIER X you know and THEY STILL DONT GET IT

Well you know there is something called free exp right? Some players just use them to skip the whole line entirely without knowledge of playing IJN BB right

I rarely meet those kinds of Yamatos anyway. Most of the time i saw them they are pretty much keep in at least 16km range (if there are no long range torpwall DDs around ofc).

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

i move foward ask for support , get none and die ..........what can you do 

420 posts
20 battles

To get easier to aim, especially at longer target, and with long reload gun such as BB, i advise you to press alt to see how long your shell would arrive.

You could use stopwatch and training at Coop for example if you want to get used with it.

Most of bot at Coop will YOLO towards you and bow tank your shot. This is one of the most difficult situation to aim your gun.

People said do not snipe, but sniping is art, and is a must to have skill, because the primary mission of BB is to tank.

A certain video contributor said, if you not spending at least 3 repair consummables while driving a BB, then you're doing it wrong.

Since you're tanking, at most of the time, you'll not make much movement (a complete stop is not advisable too), this where sniping is must to have skill.

For a big target such as CV or BB, you should be conveniently able to land a hit around 17km even with the worst dispersion German gun or perhaps 20km ? Idk

Just you're able to shoot from such distance, it doesn't mean that you should stay too way behind from your friendly ships.

You could sniping to opportunity target so far away. So if you're at cap A right now, you could snipe nonchalantly broadsiding cruiser at C.

Do not YOLO without support, surely you're able to tank, but futile without support.

Knows how the armor works and how to count penetrations, i've write much about it on another thread.

Myogi is a good ship TBH, she is BB but steers like a big fat cruiser. If anything could better than Myogi at tier IV probably premium ships.

If you don't like how she has only a fore turret, turn around, and start to bottom tanking, reverse if necessary.

Kongo is an interesting ship, one of the best BB at tier V. Used her for snipe, for brawl, and she is excellent. Also got a rather OP bow armor, and mobility.

Fuso was crowned as the best BB by certain video contributor.

Probably Nagato is rather underperforming one, she has larger HP pool, slightly fast, but squishy.

I never tried Amagi, and Izumo, but many people here said they're good.

And Yamato, although many people said she is strong, i'm not quite like her. Since i think Yamato game play is must be static to get it worked.

I come, i bow tank, i lol pen. Some people even forgot the I come part lol.

My interest for USN BB line started from Colorado with her accuracy, up to North Carolina with her concealment, and lastly Montana is also enjoyable.

German BB, other than Kaiser with her weird gun arrangement, probably all of them are good.

It looks like i talked too much, i hope i'm not ruining your fun. I talked a lot of things since i want to cope to all posts at this thread not only what the OP said.

294 posts
2,997 battles

It looks like i talked too much, i hope i'm not ruining your fun. I talked a lot of things since i want to cope to all posts at this thread not only what the OP said.

No I am actually thankful for detailed posts such as yours. It helps a lot when one is in doubt. Only sometimes doubt becomes bigger and now suddenly I have more unanswered questions. Like is Yamato boring to play? I mean I understand as the final and the most armored in the line, she is a force to be reckoned with but I am really hoping there is more to it than being an invincible floating fortress that doesn't need any skills to play. I really dislike playing face roll vehicles. Plus a lot of folks are praising the German line. Honestly I don't really hate German tech. Infact in WOT my favorite is the JagdTiger so I wouldn't mind getting myself into the Bismark club but I really am not interested in grinding all the lines. I can just handle one and I need to chose between Japanese, US or German and honestly this thread has confused me more.

Oh btw, I am doing much better with Kongo now. Staying between 10 to 15km and making sure I zigzag. Still hard to hit destroyers/cruisers at that range but I do eat them outright most of the time if they get in 8 km range. Though sometimes I die violently if they manage to get close and faceplant a bunch of torpedoes. :(

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Japanese BB are snipers for the most part

For the most part, yes. But I like to brawl in them (Kongo, Fuso) under 10km and they usually work very well if MM is preferential and doesn't overmatch to +2 tier games.

If you like it easy, the German line is the way to go. IJN line takes some skill to play but once you've mastered them sniping cruisers at 15km+ won't be too much of a problem at all. That being said, the current meta seems to be "BB push" even with the BBs who actually can snipe very well so I would say brawling in the US German line would be good for team play in the current meta...

420 posts
20 battles

Glad to hear if you like that.

I personally doesn't have any tier 10 BB, but i played them at Public Test server.

About Yamato, it is more like my personal preference.

Montana, Yamato, Grosser Kurfurst. If you look at the citadel armor, the armor thickness is going from the left is the thicker.

BUT, the survivability in game, it going backwards.

Because of the bow section armor and overmatch mechanic, plus German ships, especially with their BB, they have turtleback armor so they can't be citadel-ed at close range.

What Yamato superior are the biggest gun and the bow armor.

Basicly in order to be invincible with her is by bow tanking incoming shells. And return fire with the OP gun, there are several ships due to the overmatch mechanic, could only be penetrated by Yamato gun. IF you happen to angle "too much", Yamato is quite soft and start to bleed damage. I'm talking about AP damage. Yamato has weakness at between the bow and mid section, also mid section and aft section. Even Bismarck 15inch gun could citadel Yamato if you aim those, at relatively short range. This dilemma often created static game play with Yamato.

Grosser Kurfurst has the same bow just like Yamato, she has lower gun caliber, faster speed, and more useful secondaries, if not very damaging.

At 1 vs 1 scenario, you could just slip thru Yamato, ram her, or shooting at her back or killing her with secondaries. It only took a minute or more to kill Yamato with GK's secondaries with IFHE captain perk. Grosser doesn't need to worry of point blank citadel, although still receiving heavy damage. GK also has sonar to avoid incoming torpedoes. At tier 10, GK is the king of all BB, as per today.

Montana is less capable for BB to BB combat at tier 10, but she fare better to other targets than BB. She has speed, and surprisingly quite useful secondaries.

She is the smallest tier 10 BB, more maneuverable, and by all means doesn't really helpless against Yamato unless you're static, which Yamato could lolpen her right on the face.

Against GK, you need to avoid close combat with that, at longer range, you could citadel German BBs. Montana has the best AA among the three, but many people agree to say it is roughly the same.

And while you're at Kongo, if you have some time to spare, try to snipe sometimes, if you don't have proper target to shoot at for example.

Don't look at how slow the shell, just note the timer, and your target behavior.

In my opinion she is the most accurate BB at tier 5. You probably need Max zoom -3 to snipe at near to max range.

To combat DD with BB, first you need to identify what kind of enemy DD at your opponent team.

If you happen to memorize their concealment, torpedo reload time etc, it would be helpful.

There's not perfect solution to combat DD with BB, as they designed to kill you, i could try a lot of variations if you're trying to zig zag, as i have time to note your behavior from a safe distance. Working around your team is the best.

But still, if you want better skill set to avoid DDs, take those three although i must say, it is too much and not completely necessary.

Priority target, Vigilance, RPF.

Edited by Zwelivelle

345 posts
3,647 battles

Kongo has weird dispersion, sometimes it's tight, sometimes it goes all over the place. I recommend you keep grinding until Nagato. It has laser precision at long range and is the best BB at tier 7 for me.

Amagi is also accurate but the fact that you're against tier 10 BBs most of the time makes it a not fun experience specially with the tier 10 camping meta.

Edited by Loshirai14

26 posts
1,985 battles

The German Battleship line is probably the most forgiving out of all of the battleship lines but their guns are somewhat inaccurate. The IJN line focuses more on accurate mid to long range fire so you need decent aim to be effective. The IJN line also gets bigger guns than the other lines most of the time. Personally I would try to get to tier 5 in all three Battleship lines before you make a decision on what line to really grind down. Best of luck to you!

451 posts
6,946 battles

ijn bbs have only two turds in the entire line, the rest allow most of your shells to fly mostly true to its target.

the two turds are fuso A hull and izumo. izumo's main issue is the ridiculous dispersion for a clustered 9 gun broadside and shitty penetration which overpens or even shatters on cruisers. the shells fly fast with a low arc, but mostly not true to the target.

for the others, they are great. keep the laser nagato, it has 2.0 sigma with 410mm shells that will make any target cry.

if u want less regrets in general prepare abit of free xp, free xp those hulls above, and the rest of the line is enjoyable and competitive.