Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Harugumo

Tier 4 skill for scharhost?

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

there's a good flamu build featuring concealment and manual AA on tier 4
then get superintendent, vigilance at 3
adrenaline rush and repair cooldown on 2
preventive maintenance at 1

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Will depend of course on how you use it.Are you getting in close enough to use secondaries?

I went secondaries,and will add AFT for the extra range once I get another 4 points up.

Also remember to have the secondary module for the extra range and accuracy as well.

[AE]
199 posts
9,474 battles

I posted a rant about the relatively poor choice that most players ACTUALLY have reference captain skills.

Definitely less ability to throw on a couple of 1 or 2 point backup choices.

The need to have at least 2 tier 4 skills to be competitive really makes these choices either one or other. (WGs stated intent).

Only problem (IMHO) is that it really isn't a choice if you rationalise it out.

Priority target level one if you wish. Not many actual choices.

Expert marksman level two. Why? If you cannot bring your guns to bear on a target, you lose.

Superintendent at 3. Why? More ability to heal or other abilities. Sonar etc. Game winning.

Most importantly RDF at level 4. Now some have stated that its "Only helped them out 3 or 4 times out of 100" to win. Think about it, that's a 3-4% increase to win rate. Now by all means, there are 3 other great skills there at 4. MFCFS, MFCAA, AFT and CE. But take them second. Why?

a) Many games don't feature carriers. You will not always be their target too. Also, if your ship is known by the carrier players to have good AA, they will chose another target before you. So beefing up AA on good AA ship will not make you this sailing AA battery sweeping all before it. If your AA was crap to start with, buffing it seems a poor choice.

b) AFT helps DDs with small calibre main guns, however as far as secondary gun range increase...see c)

c) There is an old air-combat saying "What should I do if I close with the enemy and get into a scissors manoeuver situation? Simple, if you have got into a scissors situation you already F--ked up". Winning is about seeing first and firing first. So having your guns pointing in correct direction is vital. To me, having an ability to engage DDs with your secondaries - when you have messed up and let them get too close - is not as important as knowing where they are. Also, apart from Bismarck, Yamato and other BBs with great secondary range, most BBs, even with all sorts of secondary gun buffs, will still be in trouble given the range of DD torps. Also, have a look at end of game stats. Note that even with many secondary hits, their % of damage done compared to primaries is miniscule.

d) CE? Very large number of players swear by it. BUT.  its 10+ %. In a radar, RDF and sonar environment. With lowest vis ships like IJN DDs having 6-7 km vis, you are talking about taking your DD from 7km vis to 6.3km. Is less than a km worth 4 very hard earned points?

ON A BB to me the choice of first level 4 skill is clear - RDF. If you have 14 points, by all means chose one of those mentioned.

563 posts
4,686 battles

ON A BB to me the choice of first level 4 skill is clear - RDF. If you have 14 points, by all means chose one of those mentioned.

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

What the actual hell...lel

I'd say take AFT+Manual secondaries because you wanna man fight other ships... or go for Manual AA  because CVs (cannot say what I wanted to)... cannot take RPF because it'll be a waste anyway.. take CE if you want but i don't think it is necessary for it... 

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles
I played with RDF and scored a torp hit the first battle using it. But in saying that I feel it overstates its usefulness. I really couldn't recommend a build using RDF. Whilst the RDF skill indicated where there was a possible lurking DD and I fired torps in that direction and scored a hit, I would've fired torps in that direction anyway and would've been likely to score a hit without the skill.

634 posts
6,210 battles

there's a good flamu build featuring concealment and manual AA on tier 4

then get superintendent, vigilance at 3

adrenaline rush and repair cooldown on 2

preventive maintenance at 1

OK

563 posts
4,686 battles

SO what should i take>

CE, it gives you 13.1km surface detection, a massive advantage at t7. Since CE is a t4 skill now, many of your prey will take it at t7, you don't want them to see you miles out and anticipate your moves. 

After that take MAA, then AFT if you don't need more t2,t3 skill. If you want more t2/t3 skill, skip AFT. Go vigilance and HA. 

451 posts
6,946 battles

i can recommend the ninja option build for high survivability and power when u manage to close in.

1st pt: preventive maintenance. saves your modules from knock out. especially the torpedoes.

3rd pt: adrenaline rush. if u need EM on a scharnhorst you're better off playing another game.

6th pt: superintendent. you're agile enough to disengage and use lots of heals. more charges will help u tank again late game.

10th pt: CE.

14th pt: fire prevention.

16th pt: high alert.

18th pt: jack of all trades

or

19th pt: vigilance who even takes this anymore lmaooo

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

****lord

I think you said it a few weeks ago?:

"Take RDF,at Tier 4? HAHAHAHHA!"   :)

What the actual hell...lel

I'd say take AFT+Manual secondaries because you wanna man fight other ships... or go for Manual AA  because CVs (cannot say what I wanted to)... cannot take RPF because it'll be a waste anyway.. take CE if you want but i don't think it is necessary for it... 

Yeah,I have never seen the fascination with CE unless you are a DD.Especially on a BB....that's built for brawling!

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

CE, it gives you 13.1km surface detection, a massive advantage at t7. Since CE is a t4 skill now, many of your prey will take it at t7, you don't want them to see you miles out and anticipate your moves. 

After that take MAA, then AFT if you don't need more t2,t3 skill. If you want more t2/t3 skill, skip AFT. Go vigilance and HA. 

this

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

halcyon u gotta help me i dont know what skill to take

Really? Why me? I'm a noob. I spent like 6 hours yesterday trying to get my Zao's WR back to 50…

And I really can't play Scharnhorst well, 45% WR…

My Scharnhorst's skill pick(captain shared with GK, both using catapult fighter)

Level 1 shell type switch(cuz I like spamming HE) and double catapult fighter(I don't know what else to pick)

(I guess Preventive Maintenance works well for Scharnhorst, as German main guns are quite likely to be disabled, and losing your torpedo tube can be extremely awkward when you get up close)

Level 2 turret transverse(as this is a shared captain, I think you can pick Adeline Rush if your captain is dedicated)

Level 3 Superintendent(extra heal almost always come in handy)

Level 4 Fire Prevention(works pretty well for me) AFT and Manual Secondary(both my Scharn and GK are secondary build)

But of course I'm a total loser at Scharnhorst, so my build is most likely stupid.

Sign in to follow this