You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EliteBrekkieRoll

What is the point of armor layout?

12 comments in this topic

13 posts
2,670 battles

Not everyone is a navy guru(navy jargon is not helping either) or a maths guru (especially for a man who has not been in school for 20 years), so what is the point of a armor layout if we do not know the penetrations. Wg made a essay on how it works, great whooping [redacted] story, soo what is the English version of the base penetration value  in layman's term.

I mean not showing how the shell arcs or the reduce pen over distance value etc, thats fine cause we can estimate that, but how would we do that with out a base value other then to work it out other then  by doing math equation to work it out.

All the in game only shows the caliber value, in that respect that means nothing other then how big the gun is. Its like playing world of tanks without the  penetration value and only showing the calibar and armor thickness

Profanity. Post edited, user warned.

~Syanda

Edited by Syanda

420 posts
20 battles

If you see WG videos, like the recent one, Akizuki, it shown the penetration value of her AP within several distances.

HE pen value is 1/6 of the calibre. Except for German, larger than 128mm ? Which is 1/4.

The diagram also shows you the exact location of your ship citadel, whether it is using turtle back armor or not, and the softer parts that you should target.

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles

Penetration is a hell lot more complex than WoT. 

Armor layout is not simple as having 2-3 metal plate slaped together to form armor.

Armor layout of a ship is very complex and consist of multiple layers ontop one another plus other optional parts.

The thing here is unlike WoT where you can pin point with great certainty where you will hit if you aim in WOWS you are only going to aim at a general area where you want to hit and RNG will place the shots into it.

Hitting a ship sized target at miles long range is very different from hitting a 3 m tall target 1km away.

Anyway , armor layout is in the game client and you can check it. Penetration value is not shown currently because it is extremely complex and can not be presented with a single simple number.

General rule of thumb : dont ever show broadside to anything bigger than you

Edited by legionary2099

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

The short version of it is that warships, unlike tanks, feature complex armour schemes that see different parts of the ship armoured differently. The more critical the part of the ship is for a ship's combat capability, the more heavily armoured it is. Rule of thumb is, ships are only armoured to resist up to the guns they carry at their thickest point. The armour viewer lets you see where these thickest points so as to,

1. Figure out how to maximize your protection against smaller-calibre shellfire and

2. Where to aim at on an enemy ship to punch through to critical areas, or failing that, where on an enemy ship is comparatively unarmoured so you can damage it with smaller-calibre shellfire.

440 posts
3,380 battles

So you know that when sailing a ship you can get penetrated by certain other ships

Damn you HEAP Atlanta!:izmena:

Edited by rouge42

13 posts
2,670 battles

The short version of it is that warships, unlike tanks, feature complex armour schemes that see different parts of the ship armoured differently. The more critical the part of the ship is for a ship's combat capability, the more heavily armoured it is. Rule of thumb is, ships are only armoured to resist up to the guns they carry at their thickest point. The armour viewer lets you see where these thickest points so as to,

1. Figure out how to maximize your protection against smaller-calibre shellfire and

2. Where to aim at on an enemy ship to punch through to critical areas, or failing that, where on an enemy ship is comparatively unarmoured so you can damage it with smaller-calibre shellfire.

supposed that make sense  thats one way of looking at it soo assuming i understanding you right. So your saying that if your caliber is 210mm the chances of penetrating a ship with a gun with a lower caliber the chances of penetrating them is high  comparing to a ship that has a higher caliber then you, penetrating them is slim or non at all.

I assume the armor works similar of the space armor in wot?

soo far all i know is dont use ap against bb or dd if your a crusier and if your a bb dont use ap against dd and dd just spam HE

Edited by EliteBrekkieRoll

1,069 posts
3,847 battles

soo far all i know is dont use ap against bb or dd if your a crusier

Tell that to the Amagi's I have citadeled in my Hipper!

AP from cruisers can be effective against BB,depending on what cruiser you are in and where you are hitting the BB.

Best thing to do is test it out,try AP occasionally when you are firing at BB,and see how they are angled,where you are hitting and how much damage you are causing. 

With the German cruisers Nurnberg and Admiral Hipper/Prinz Eugen I nearly always AP on BB,unless I notice I start doing low or 0 damage shots,then switch to HE.Yorck is a special case as its HE is very good.The Yorck AP is hard to aim over 10km due to being a slow shell,but once under that range its very good.

[AE]
202 posts
9,515 battles

I am pretty sure that there are other related sites that give specific armour pen values - ie how many mm they will pen at given ranges.

As far as it being complex, well WG games frequently get slammed by some for being arcadish. But in fact the amount of work they have put into armour is incredible. The games are very competitive. If you play to win, learn. If you play to have fun that is fine, but be aware you are up against guys that will take every advantage of game mechanics.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

I use it to identify the citadel. So I know where to aim. Also useful for identifying moderately armored parts of battleships and heavy cruisers to spam AP at for mad penetrative damage.

671 posts
1,508 battles

soo far all i know is dont use ap against bb or dd if your a crusier and if your a bb dont use ap against dd and dd just spam HE

You may not want to keep spamming HE in Russian DD......

420 posts
20 battles

supposed that make sense  thats one way of looking at it soo assuming i understanding you right. So your saying that if your caliber is 210mm the chances of penetrating a ship with a gun with a lower caliber the chances of penetrating them is high  comparing to a ship that has a higher caliber then you, penetrating them is slim or non at all.

I assume the armor works similar of the space armor in wot?

I never play WoT so i can't answer the thing about spaced armor.

Don't use AP against BB or DD if you're a cruiser. That is quite wrong.

After looking into the armor diagram, please note to the caliber of each ship.

AP to BB

Some cruiser have bigger gun that could punch thru BB armor, and if you're aware, some BB aren't armored enough.

Also to mention RN cruisers don't have HE, there's work around to make them useful for killing BB, even with AP.

You shoot to the bow of the target BB, or superstructure.

i.e Graf Spee, she has 285mm gun, it is cruiser fitted with BB gun.

AP to DD

Again, please note that ship have various caliber of gun.

Cruisers with 100-105mm gun for example could dish respectable dmg to DD with AP without overpen.

And one important thing again, AP is devastating to DD at long range.

Bayern (BB) AP against a DD i.e 14km away or more dish 6500 dmg per shell hit.

You could imagine if more than one shell hit.

This because of plunging fire, as your distance with target grows, your shell will make parabolic trajectory instead of flat.

Plunging fire only counts your deck armor, or superstructure armor as resistance, and will not overpen.

HE shell is detonated upon contact with any layer of armor.

HE shell must pen in order to make damage, the penetration value is 1/6 caliber, with exception of 1/4 caliber for German BB guns.

The fire chance is reduced by half if your HE shell doesn't pen.

While AP shell will punch tru each layer until it can't pen anymore and explodes.

If the AP reached ship's citadel, you got citadel damage as result.

AP penetration value is differ with each ship and each weapon.

The old information said it is a complex mathematic counting to the shell speed, range, caliber, weight, and angle of attack.

The exact penetration value for every ship is not currently known. Only some mentioned on WG videos, the armada.

They also have something else different.

Don't generalize that 203mm installed on Furutaka is the same as 203mm on Pensacola.

USN ships has better angle tolerance, it is 60 degrees if i'm not mistaken.

While Furutaka has difficulty to penetrate slightly angled ship, it may otherwise with USN ships.

There's also overmatch mechanic that will override the shell penetration value. So far i could say, this only applied if you're face tanking incoming shell.

I'm not too sure with the example i write below, just correct me if i'm wrong.

i.e.

27mm bow x (rounded down of 100/6) = 432mm, it does mean that if the shell hitting the bow (face tanking) is larger than 432mm, it could pen, otherwise it will not.

It does mean that even face tanking Cruisers with 27mm bow armor could deflect Montana, Iowa, even Grosser Kurfurst's main gun.

This overmatch applies at any range, as long not plunging.

It is why, shooting AP to your enemy face is not always the best solution, check this first.

If you could overmatch your target, feel free to do it, if not, aim a bit higher to the superstructure then change to HE, and or position your ship to get better angle.

Is this helpful ?

Edited by Zwelivelle