You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ChaosGhost

The things a returning player should take note of

28 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

Hello. I've been away for some time, only playing on and off ever since closed alpha. I figure it would be wise to ask the community the things that have changed ever since the days of just-after-release that I should really take note of.

What's OP?

What isn't anymore?

What's the meta?

What's the community?

How reliable is the wiki at being a guide for commander skills choices and strats?

What should IGAF about?

How safe am I having an Arpeggio anime avatar in these forums?

Edit: Also apparently clans are a thing now? How do they work?

Edit: Also I know I could also just go google and wiki and such, but I'm also interested in how the community is like in the forums so I'd rather have your subjective opinions on things. Cheers.

I'm grinding Russian/American DD, American CA, British CL, American BB. I'm at tier 6 highest, so what should I expect moving forward? 

Looking forward to your replies, thank you.

Also mods: I'm not sure if this should be a newbie forum thing or not, so kick my thread to wherever it fits if necessary. Cheers.

Edited by ChaosGhost

1,105 posts

whats OP? you mean OP ship? there is no OP ship, but difficult ship is exist

btw, play CV bro :V   if you arent good with accuracy. go go go booom

new meta is sniping from long range, because new radar skill can detect the closest enemy. play aggresive is only increase the chance of getting sink.

there is some change but most notable is revamp the commander skill. you can check it for moar info. btw, wiki is pretty up to date, but your commander skill is depend on what you need and your gameplay.

btw, there is discount for reset commander skill by only 1 doubloon per skill. it mean if you have 19 skill to reset, you only need 19 doubloon. there is a 20 free doubloon event for free player before, too bad you missed it. buy some doubloon instead :V its cheap for reset commander skill now.

OH AND DID YOU MISS THE FREE ARPEGGIO SHIP EVENT? HAHAHAHAAHAA LEL..... sorry....

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

whats OP? you mean OP ship? there is no OP ship, but difficult ship is exist

btw, play CV bro :V   if you arent good with accuracy. go go go booom

new meta is sniping from long range, because new radar skill can detect the closest enemy. play aggresive is only increase the chance of getting sink.

there is some change but most notable is revamp the commander skill. you can check it for moar info. btw, wiki is pretty up to date, but your commander skill is depend on what you need and your gameplay.

btw, there is discount for reset commander skill by only 1 doubloon per skill. it mean if you have 19 skill to reset, you only need 19 doubloon. there is a 20 free doubloon event for free player before, too bad you missed it. buy some doubloon instead :V its cheap for reset commander skill now.

OH AND DID YOU MISS THE FREE ARPEGGIO SHIP EVENT? HAHAHAHAAHAA LEL..... sorry....

Damn. I enjoy being at close range the most!

Yeah I pretty much missed all the Arpeggio ships, but I have a self-imposed challenge to avoid everything IJN anyway. So my only IJN ship is the Iwaki Alpha. 

313 posts
10,071 battles

What's OP?
Belfast (a WG shamelessly made smokable HE-spamming T7 devil)
Gremy (Bussian rias)
Kutuzov (Bussian rias)
Minotaur (an oversized gearing)

What isn't anymore?
Isokaze (non-stop nerfed)

Minesuki and Mutkaze

How safe am I having an Arpeggio anime avatar in these forums?
super safe that u will be friends with many ppl such as XP_ON

Edit: Also apparently clans are a thing now? How do they work?
clan gives u a tag to show u have a strong community background,
and be identified as totapo or uniscum

Play USN CAs, they soon be buffed, go and make America great again

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

Whoops. Managed to completely screw over a teammate by ramming him directly into a torpedo spread. Sorry about that if you ever get here to vent. D:

Still hard to shake off the rust, keeping track of everything in a battle is tough :(

Aww, poor Isokaze. I remember loving the hell out of it back in the old days.

[LBAS]
4,479 posts
25,659 battles

What's OP?

Gremy (Bussian rias)

Kutuzov (Bussian rias)

Minotaur (an oversized gearing)

What isn't anymore?

Isokaze (non-stop nerfed)

Minesuki and Mutkaze

Play USN CAs, they soon be buffed, go and make America great again

WG nerf a whole IJN DDs, over-buff VMF DDs

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

I'm sure it's a coincidence, but the very first supercontainer I've received since the start of containers being a thing appeared right after I put in a premium account for the first time :D

It's like a 5% chance of appearing, right?

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

What's there in the server? Have minimal faith in your team's BBs.

Watch out for RN CL. Blast them sky high at the earliest opportunity. Be scrupulous and use your team BBs as meat shield. 

Random players are afraid of ships charging at themselves.

Point the middle finger to ships sitting in smoke and laugh maniacally as you send them torp soup that you made with tender love and care  

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

And long time no see CG

So long I'm pretty sure you've had like a couple name changes because your name doesn't ring a bell at all :v

1,105 posts

Be aware of radar ship if you play high tier.like certain T7,T8-10 US RU cruisers can detect dd inside smoke.

OP RDF skill LOL..... ALL HAIL BB SNIPER!!

@OP : alright, make america great again? sure, but dont play USN CV if you dont know what to do. currently USN CV need moar love, so only experienced player can be good at USN CV. 

the DD is really poor, now there is a lot of CV population. planes can spot them easiliy (include torpedo). RDF just make it more worse...... now the role of drift out BB is at CV :V

but of course smart CA player will stick to BB and make it harder to us. i sacrifice a lot of divebomber -_-

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

Belfast's smoke+HE is OP only if you take IFHE. But for smoke HE spamming, hey why not Mikhail Kutuzov, superb range, superb ballistics, better chance of fire, great AA, and is very maneuverable even without any maneuverability modules.

And being T8 means your teammates are more skilled and reliable

The thing that gave Belfast the notorious winrate is the best concealment for T7 cruisers, a radar and decent gun counts and RoF. Making it a perfect DD hunter, and you know how much destroyers can affect how a battle goes.

[LNA]
1,662 posts
10,469 battles

Belfast's smoke+HE is OP only if you take IFHE. But for smoke HE spamming, hey why not Mikhail Kutuzov, superb range, superb ballistics, better chance of fire, great AA, and is very maneuverable even without any maneuverability modules.

MK have a harder chance surviving than Belfast. The thing is in tier X match which the MK can meet , tier 10 BB will make short work of a MK at any combat range if they ever see you since a glancing hit can be a citadel. Also combat range at tier 8 onward increase alot while tier 7 still has a lot of leeway and Belfast is in the stronk spot of tier 7 where most of the time it can be top tier.

Also do note that while MK guns are superb , its ballistics got a lot worse outside of 16km and i mean a lot worse than a Budyonny which i got for free 2 tiers below it

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

MK have a harder chance surviving than Belfast. The thing is in tier X match which the MK can meet , tier 10 BB will make short work of a MK at any combat range if they ever see you since a glancing hit can be a citadel. Also combat range at tier 8 onward increase alot while tier 7 still has a lot of leeway and Belfast is in the stronk spot of tier 7 where most of the time it can be top tier.

Also do note that while MK guns are superb , its ballistics got a lot worse outside of 16km and i mean a lot worse than a Budyonny which i got for free 2 tiers below it

Well, MK do get a lot of penetrations from battleship shells, but if you keep range, stay behind your teammates and maneuver a lot, the battleships usually won't focus on you.

Ths guns of Budyonny and MK is actually the same, the 152mm/57 Pattern 1938. Different turrets though, MK's gets a little "bis". The major in-game difference between a Mk-5 and a Mk-5-bis is the detection range penalty after firing a shot, bis gets a far more disgusting penalty. As for the ballistics issue, I guess it's because of the spotter gives you a different viewing angle. As Budyonny can only fire outside of 16.6km with a spotter but MK can't use any planes. From the rangefinder view, the ballistics seem a lot more arcy than the spotter's. Yes the ballistics do go high when you shoot at long range, but it's still very flat for 152mm, and I think it's still better than the Japanese 203mm guns on Furutaka to Ibuki.

[LNA]
1,662 posts
10,469 battles

Well, MK do get a lot of penetrations from battleship shells, but if you keep range, stay behind your teammates and maneuver a lot, the battleships usually won't focus on you.

Ths guns of Budyonny and MK is actually the same, the 152mm/57 Pattern 1938. Different turrets though, MK's gets a little "bis". The major in-game difference between a Mk-5 and a Mk-5-bis is the detection range penalty after firing a shot, bis gets a far more disgusting penalty. As for the ballistics issue, I guess it's because of the spotter gives you a different viewing angle. As Budyonny can only fire outside of 16.6km with a spotter but MK can't use any planes. From the rangefinder view, the ballistics seem a lot more arcy than the spotter's. Yes the ballistics do go high when you shoot at long range, but it's still very flat for 152mm, and I think it's still better than the Japanese 203mm guns on Furutaka to Ibuki.

IDK man , but the ballistic of hitting a ship at long range is very very mortar like on a MK and it is literally dropping shell right on top of them and i think that the shell travel time of the Budyonny and MK are very different. At the same range outside of 14 km , i feel that Bud shell are alot faster , doesnt lose much speed but a MK shell lose a lot of it outside 14 km

420 posts
20 battles

Belfast with 7.x concealment.

I got spotted.

It must be Dd

Pop radar

Noms

Sailing free with sonar

Oh i'm overextended, pops smoke.

Edited by Zwelivelle

313 posts
10,071 battles

The thing that gave Belfast the notorious winrate is the best concealment for T7 cruisers, a radar and decent gun counts and RoF. Making it a perfect DD hunter, and you know how much destroyers can affect how a battle goes.

so u admit she is OP dont u? belfast player

313 posts
10,071 battles

Stop denying she is OP by comparing other OP ship, we all know its meaningless

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

Stop denying she is OP by comparing other OP ship, we all know its meaningless

I haven't been playing Belfast in PvP for two or three months, so whatever. I'll pick Scharnhorst for the coming rank, Cuz I don't have a high rank captain for Belfast and I'm not used to the ballistics now.

I'm just pointing out exactly what is the advantage of Belfast. You see there's Fiji in the same tier, AP only but still gets very similar average damage, but gets lower WR.

The thing is, Belfast's priority target has been and always is destroyers, this ship excels in this and hunting those ships affect how the battle goes, easy enough.

Sitting inside your puff and spam HE isn't how you get WR on a Belfast, that's what one should do when there's no DD to catch/the situation don't allow it.

So here's what I would say for Belfast

Belfast is OP cuz

Extremely efficient against DD.

And for HE pew-pew ship of the same tier, have you tried Shchors? That's a REAL HE spammer. Grab a premium catapult spotter, it can fire from like 20km away, and with IFHE one can easily harvest tons of HE penetration from same tier battleships, and spamming at range is even safer than sitting in the smoke. There's also hull A Mogami and the Chapayev, both capable of invisifiring comfortably, and Chapayev has a radar range longer than it's maximum detection range.

Edited by _Halcyon

1,493 posts

What's different?

Watch out for the Bismarck secondary guns, the range is 9klm, which is bigger than sister ship Tirpitz, which is only 6 klm

& all the captain skills are different, you have to pick the ones you like

British cruisers have smoke, & at least the Perth can fire torps singly, which I didn't know, so maybe the other British cruisers do too. ( I don't have any so I'm not sure)

Those are the differences that come to mind.

Ordrazz

Alpha Tester
105 posts
428 battles

I haven't been playing Belfast in PvP for two or three months, so whatever. I'll pick Scharnhorst for the coming rank, Cuz I don't have a high rank captain for Belfast and I'm not used to the ballistics now.

I'm just pointing out exactly what is the advantage of Belfast. You see there's Fiji in the same tier, AP only but still gets very similar average damage, but gets lower WR.

The thing is, Belfast's priority target has been and always is destroyers, this ship excels in this and hunting those ships affect how the battle goes, easy enough.

Sitting inside your puff and spam HE isn't how you get WR on a Belfast, that's what one should do when there's no DD to catch/the situation don't allow it.

So here's what I would say for Belfast

Belfast is OP cuz

Extremely efficient against DD.

And for HE pew-pew ship of the same tier, have you tried Shchors? That's a REAL HE spammer. Grab a premium catapult spotter, it can fire from like 20km away, and with IFHE one can easily harvest tons of HE penetration from same tier battleships, and spamming at range is even safer than sitting in the smoke. There's also hull A Mogami and the Chapayev, both capable of invisifiring comfortably, and Chapayev has a radar range longer than it's maximum detection range.

That reminds me, I have no clue what a ranked match is. What am I missing out on by NOT playing that mode?

I'm still not sure if I want to spend realbux on ships since I'm dirt-poor, so what I'm getting at is "if you see a prem ship on the enemy team, make sure to kill it and not be fired at by it" :v