You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
blauflamme22

Premium ship suggestion HMNZS Achilles

13 comments in this topic

159 posts
5,692 battles

Dear Wargaming, I'd like to suggest HMNZS Achilles as a premium ship. Since it was a Leander class and there is already such a ship in the game I don't think it would be too difficult to make, but it could be done with some interesting differences to change the gameplay. For example if it was modelled in its post 1943 refit configuration it would not have the X turret and instead have several QF 2 pom poms for an enhanced AA protection, also seeing as there is the adrenaline rush skill that supposes the crew would step up in dire situation, you could perhaps slighty reduce the reload time of the remaining 6 inch guns to compensate for the loss of one turret and put it down to having an efficient crew.

Since it Started the war as part of the Royal Navy's New Zealand Division, you could actually still put it in the British tech tree so that it could be used for commander retraining etc. The rest of its options could be similar to Perth in the ability to fire HE shells, and deploy aircraft, it could also perhaps be able to equipe defensive AA fire in light of its enhanced AA suit. A collectors flag, either the New Zealand Jack as flown in WWII or the RNZN ensign from much later in the 60's would also be a nice addition to any premium sales package as this could also be flown from Leander (which served with the RNZN for most of the war).

Being as Last year was the 75th Anniversary of the Royal New Zealand Navy, and with the recent promotion of the Graf Spee on WoW (Achilles adversary in the Battle of the river plate) and with the current promotion of HMS Belfast and HMAS Perth, now would be a very appropriate time to add the Achilles.

Further Information on Achilles including both the pre and post 1943 refit armaments can be found under the following link;

http://navymuseum.co.nz/hmshmnzs-achilles-leander-class-cruiser/

556 posts
8,197 battles

Australia got some love, why not the Kiwis. I think the main problem with Achilles though is that many of the ANZAC naval vessels are just gifted British cruisers. Perth is a modified Leander but so is Achilles. So the main problem comes with the whole copy/paste free ships to make premships. While I wouldn't mind seeing more Commonwealth/ANZAC vessels in game I think we need to part away slightly from what ships are currently in the game.

159 posts
5,692 battles

Sure, I agree that its a modifed Leander (though much closer to its original layout, single funnel etc), But I do think it would add something to the mid tier british linup in the game and after seeing all the various japanese premium ships that seem to only differ really in their radical paint jobs, It wouldn't (to me at least) seem like that big a deal to create another Leander variant. if it's that much of an issue with similar copy paste premium ships it could always be offered as a reward for a challenge or something similar. And yea, the Kiwis deserve some love, we're too often forgotten down here at the bottom of the world.

On the Subject of all the common ship designs amongst the commonwealth, I do think that Perth could be put under the British tech tree too for the same reasons as mentioned above, It could always be renamed to be the UK/Commonwealth, which would leave open the possibility to add ships from Canada and South Africa too, even as non premium ships, just as Leander herself was both HMS and HMNZS at various stage,. Why not have HMAS Adelaide instead of the Weymouth? After all we all flew the same ensign during the war

159 posts
5,692 battles

Actually, on that note, why not have HMS New Zealand in the line up of British battleships/heavy cruisers, or HMAS Australia

18 posts
188 battles

Well, to be more correct, HMS Achilles as she was originally commissioned as was a standard Leander-class; the modifications she received were mostly due to war damage, such as her X turret being damaged by Japanese air attack in January 1943.

159 posts
5,692 battles

Thanks for your input NZXRedBaron, I should have made it a little clearer in my previous posts that Achilles is not so much a Modified Leander as a Leander that's been modified. I do still think that the serious AA upgrades of the refit would make this ship a unique enough change from the standard Leander in the game

18 posts
188 battles

Fun fact, the "Modified Leanders" originally were to serve in the RN as HMS Apollo, Amphion, and Phaeton; and indeed the first two Apollo and Amphion were part of the RN; they and the still under construction Phaeton were sold to the RAN, where they became HMAS Perth, Hobart and Sydney, respectively- Apollo in 1939, Amphion in 1938, and Phaeton in 1935.

They were pretty different to the original Leanders too; two funnels, longer side armour, and split machinery for greater survivability.

159 posts
5,692 battles

I'm enjoying the facts NZXRedBaron. I think that in the end most of the Leanders both orignial and modified served with ANZAC forces during the war, I think even Neptune, one of the ships that remained with the Royal Navy was in fact crewed by New Zealanders.

159 posts
5,692 battles

Actually, I think Neptune was sunk before the Royal Navy's New Zealand Division became the Royal New Zealand Navy.

158 posts
3,374 battles

It would have been fitting to give us the Achilles last year when it was the NZ Navy's 75th birthday.Instead we got the Perth

It would have also been fitting to give us a commemorative flag for that too- just like they did for the Taiwanese navy's birthday. Instead we got nothing.

As nice as it would be for WG to grant your request- I don't have much hope. Not in the near future anyway.

But by all means WG- prove me wrong!

159 posts
5,692 battles

Thank's for your input ArtickWarspite, I know it's a bit of a long shot, but if you don't ask you'll never get anything. Every little post in support helps though, so if there's anybody else out there who want's to see the Achilles, please post something in support.

:)