You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
amade

Smoke Mechanics Explained (or, the quest for the 2nd puff in 0.6.1)

12 comments in this topic

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Fixed incorrect smokes setting: Now, the last smoke cloud is deployed at the end of smoke generator work cycle. That will prevent some inconvenient game scenarios, especially with RN cruisers that have short smoke deploying timer.

If you're wondering what the difference is between 0.6.0 and 0.6.1... well, just watch the video below.

tl;dw, regardless of how fast you're going or the distance of the previously deployed puff, you'll always get one more puff deployed at the end of the smoke emission.

Wait, what? Oh yes, I haven't explained the smoke mechanics yet. Right, here goes...

Prior to 0.6.1, these are the rules for smoke deployment:

• Smoke will deploy on top of the ship (covering the ship) if it is moving at speeds under 12.5 kt
  • Smoke will deploy behind the ship if it is moving at speeds over 12.5 kt
  • Smoke will not deploy if the deployment point for the next puff is not far enough from the center of the previous puff

Now I will explain these bullet points with pretty pictures and videos:

Here you can see how speed affects where the smoke puff is deployed. As the ship moves above 12.5 kt, the puff is deployed behind the ship. When it slows down below 12.5 kt, the puff is deployed on top of the ship*.

*(actually, it's deployed slightly behind, but it still covers the ship)

And here you can see the offset more clearly when the ship is traveling at speeds above 12.5 kt.

Notice how the center of the puffs aren't on the ship's circular path itself? That's because the puff is deployed at a certain distance directly behind the ship when it's travelling above 12.5 kt. So, during a turn the stern of the ship is pointing away from the path of the ship, thus the smoke is deployed at an offset.

Here's a screenshot of a different ship but in the same test pattern with some visual aids to help understand where the puffs are deployed.

xEWPGGB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xEWPGGB.jpg

c0thhqU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/c0thhqU.jpg

And in case it still isn't clear enough here are some diagrams to help you understand better.

The rules explained again:

RIz60F7.png

5vHjUEU.png

The reason why players some times didn't get their 2nd puff in British cruisers should be clear now.

tl;dr smoke was working as intended in 0.6.0 and before that, but not necessarily as the players expected. The change in update 0.6.1 was meant to "fix" this.

So, what exactly changed in PT 0.6.1?

In a nutshell, once the emission timer runs out a last smoke puff will be deployed which ignores the 3rd rule (where smoke puffs cannot be deployed too close together). Hurrah, now smoke kemping is made easier. I hope you guys are happy. Personally, I rather have WG do all they can to discourage such practices. But who am I to argue with the majority ;-)

Addendum (8/2): The additional last puff is only deployed if you haven't already laid more than 12 puffs after the timer runs out.

1,124 posts

so to make the most out of smoke (longest, most covered, I need to keep move forward so it can be deploy every puff (even it's not cover my ship)

siting still and deploy would make very least out of it

but IMO; there's too many smoke ship in game these days.

at mid-match everywhere I look, there's was a smoke... be it DD or CL one's =w='a

I guess it's only a matter of time for BB to have some smoke as well ... (many already have torpedoes and one have radar... so... why not smoke :D)

by the way.

does each puff have it's own timer? like... 1 puff every 1 or 2 sec (time relate)

or it keep deploy as long as ship reach optimal distance from previous puff and smoke deploying hasn't run-out (distance relate)

Edited by PGM991

2,217 posts
13,678 battles

does each puff have it's own timer? .....

Yes. This can be seen as the smoke dissipates. It will start at the first puff and follow the pattern it was set down in. So if smoke deploys for say 6 seconds, and you are sitting in last puff, then when you see first puff dissipate you know you have 6 seconds longer.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

or it keep deploy as long as ship reach optimal distance from previous puff and smoke deploying hasn't run-out (distance relate)

This.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,297 battles

Hurrah, now smoke kemping is made easier. I hope you guys are happy. Personally, I rather have WG do all they can to discourage such practices. But who am I to argue with the majority ;-)

The 2nd smoke puff doesn't really matter when you smoke kemping since you already made your moves ( picking spot to pop smoke, slowing down to below 10 knots etc).

The 2nd smoke puff becomes essentially important when you are in the deep shit as in you need to pop the smoke right there right at that moment or else you'll get deleted. RN CL does not decelerate as quick as it can accelerate. And waiting like 6-8 seconds for the speed to drop to the optimum speed to pop smoke while a battleship is pointing guns at you usually stamps your ticket back to port.

It is not all about making smoke kemping easier, at the very least.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

The 2nd smoke puff doesn't really matter when you smoke kemping since you already made your moves ( picking spot to pop smoke, slowing down to below 10 knots etc).

The 2nd smoke puff becomes essentially important when you are in the deep shit as in you need to pop the smoke right there right at that moment or else you'll get deleted. RN CL does not decelerate as quick as it can accelerate. And waiting like 6-8 seconds for the speed to drop to the optimum speed to pop smoke while a battleship is pointing guns at you usually stamps your ticket back to port.

It is not all about making smoke kemping easier, at the very least.

IMO, if you made a tactical mistake, you should be punished for it.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,297 battles

Agreed, but even if you planned everything perfectly, things can still go wrong. I don't think you can stay invisible in RN CL the whole battle with tactical planning every time.

Well, my point is, it sounds kinda a little bit unfair to see the "fix" as a result that people want to smoke kemping better.

Oh and thanks for telling us the 3 rules behind RN smoke. Now at least I can try to make the 2nd puff works when needed:D

Edited by Hanagiku

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Agreed, but even if you planned everything perfectly, things can still go wrong. I don't think you can stay invisible in RN CL the whole battle with tactical planning every time.

Well, my point is, it sounds kinda a little bit unfair to see the "fix" as a result that people want to smoke kemping better.

Fair point, but I'm biased :trollface:

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

Yet DDs and CAs lose 90% of their HP if they made a mistake yet BBs only lose 50% and then can heal back the majority of it.

Regardless, the 0.6.1 Smoke does a better job in deploying the smoke as it will deploy on top of you regardless of the distance to your first puff. Previously, if you were too close to the first puff, the game registers that you are within the boundary and it won't deploy, however it does deploy if you are really close to the boundary of your first puff.

Beta Tester
40 posts
10,297 battles

Fair point, but I'm biased :trollface:

Aren't we all?:P