You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

Borrowing cruisers' smoke screen

17 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,222 battles

I was playing my Mikhail Kutuzov just now, laid a little smoke for myself to HE spam an Amagi. And a North Carolina got into the smoke and pushed me out.

So I wonder

1.shall I, as a Mikhail Kutuzov, lay smoke screen for your teammates? (Of course RN smoke is too small for sharing with the team)

2.is borrowing cruiser smoke OK?

183 posts
3,790 battles

1. Do it only if you are sure the one you will share it with reads the chat and communicates or else he might see the smoke too late and make a full stop outside the smoke.

2. RN smoke is big enough and I share it with my division mate, so for me it's ok. Just don't blame anyone if you eat torps as a big stationary bb in a smoke.

I can't believe there would come a day that I would be discussing about cruiser laid smoke. To think that I used to have the idea that kutuzov's existence is preposterous.

Edited by DonnerSushi

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Borrowing smoke and firing also increases the chance of taking blind fires/torps because the enemy now know that there are multiple ships inside it, gotta take that into consideration.

381 posts
9,957 battles

1. Yes, unless it is an emergency and you need to smoke asap. Ideally you should lay off like 3-4 puffs when you smoke. You have more rooms to maneuver and your allies can also benefit from it. Ofc if a BB push you out then it's 100% their fault - there is no excuse for not adjusting speed/direction before entering a smoke. 

2. Also yes, as long as you don't prevent them from shooting or push them out lol.

520 posts
11,124 battles

I was playing my Mikhail Kutuzov just now, laid a little smoke for myself to HE spam an Amagi. And a North Carolina got into the smoke and pushed me out.

So I wonder

1.shall I, as a Mikhail Kutuzov, lay smoke screen for your teammates? (Of course RN smoke is too small for sharing with the team)

- Its a matter of communication... Smoke can be a force multiplier for yourself and who ever benefits from it.

-  When i play Brit cruisers or US DDs, i readily share my smoke and tell the ones going in how much time they have left.. BUT... if no one is outside spotting... you might have torps coming it, as Eurobeat just mentioned.    But SMOKE SHARING is not MANDATORY:)  it will always depend on the tactical situation at hand...

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,350 battles

hmm...

i think cruisers smokes are too small for sharing, you can share em but it'll depend on situations, most of the time i smoke when i'm ready to spam HE on targets

DDs however will depend on my play style and situations, i tried to lay em for the team most of the time and only smoke for myself if i had too, but then again i'm still new to DD play, what do i know

i agree with luna that the BB should've judge his speed more efficiently as not to endangered his team

but mind you that smokes always attract torps spammers, always!!! 

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

I think sharing a smoke screen is fine so long as you don't get in the way of the person who layed it. I especially hate it when someone comes in in front of my ship so that I can't fire torps. As for pushing some out, that's just bad driving.

TLDR; ***** drivers :D

Edited by keskparane

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,472 battles

Yeah, the MK smoke is pretty small when combined with the MKs size, things can get tight if a BB just barges in like a BB will. Ive had it happen, best thing s just to shrug it off. On this server its only 50/50 if the culprit will understand any chat message anyway.

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

Yeah, the MK smoke is pretty small when combined with the MKs size, things can get tight if a BB just barges in like a BB will. Ive had it happen, best thing s just to shrug it off. On this server its only 50/50 if the culprit will understand any chat message anyway.

it's decent enough with the smoke skill

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,412 battles

So I wonder

MK smoke is for self defence only , dont ever use it for team , without it going back to port is very possible. Most ships love to go to friendly smoke because they wont get shot and MK usually stay near BB due to range and its role so BB will like to use your smoke to reduce the heat on them.

Do judge the situation though , sometimes all of you sitting in smoke is a bad thing as you will be blind and torps will be coming your way.

using smoke expert for MK is a great addition as it will make your smoke much more useful to hide yourself  ( BB will lose their aim judgement making you eat less blind shots) and sometime laying it will help a BB retreating.

Remember that if you want to smoke your team do not be seen when doing so as you will have to be near broadside to lay it.

[LBAS]
4,460 posts
25,598 battles

how about 3 CA and 1 BB inside Fletcher smoke zone, it was happened in map Ocean (I am Dm Donskoi and 2 IJN CA and 1 BB)

Edited by MatterCore

420 posts
20 battles

Borrowing smoke and firing also increases the chance of taking blind fires/torps because the enemy now know that there are multiple ships inside it, gotta take that into consideration.

Only one of two will be sunk however, one is meat shield to another. Half joke, half true.