You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

Ibuki is a bad bad ship

25 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

Ibuki is the kind of ship when all of a sudden you realize two facts

1. You got lots of damage

2. You did nothing to your team

So I played one game on my new Ibuki today, 142k damage and won.

But while my awesome teammates pushed and crushed the enemy, I spent the major half of the battle spamming HE on a Yamato and did nothing else. The victory was my teammates', not mine.

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

but... but lots of damage must make a ship great and borderline OP ... right? 

Ibuki is fun and easy to play cuz it's basically an Atago with improved range and AA, and Atago is basically for everyone to play.

But I just feel bad… When your teammates are fighting hard to win the match, you just sit back and invisifire… I know I should have played this ship like an Atago, but I just can't risist going invisifire, even though I probably can't hit anything from that range…

Edited by _Halcyon

213 posts
4,335 battles

I had the same issue; and then starting having the same issue on the Zao.  High damage, low win rate, but more importantly VERY BORING. After heeding some advice on this forum I rebuilt the Zao for ROF and am now hugely enjoying it. I think the same thing can be done on the Ibuki.

1. Replace Gun Fire Control System Mod 2 with Main Battery Mod 3

2. Equip Adrenaline Rush + Demo Expert

3. (Optional) Replace Concealment System Mod with Rudder shift 3 (remember, the already slow turret traverse has taken a big nerf)

Once you've been citadelled once,   you'll be putting out 10 round salvoes once every 12 seconds with a 19% fire chance. The trade off is quite a large risk of instant deletion (probably more so on the Ibuki than Zao).

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

I had the same issue; and then starting having the same issue on the Zao.  High damage, low win rate, but more importantly VERY BORING. After heeding some advice on this forum I rebuilt the Zao for ROF and am now hugely enjoying it. I think the same thing can be done on the Ibuki.

1. Replace Gun Fire Control System Mod 2 with Main Battery Mod 3

2. Equip Adrenaline Rush + Demo Expert

3. (Optional) Replace Concealment System Mod with Rudder shift 3 (remember, the already slow turret traverse has taken a big nerf)

Once you've been citadelled once,   you'll be putting out 10 round salvoes once every 12 seconds with a 19% fire chance. The trade off is quite a large risk of instant deletion (probably more so on the Ibuki than Zao).

Nah I'm not going to take RoF module, I had enough with Mogami's totally stuck 155mm turrets

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

404 error skill player not found

Probably true. Ibuki's range is making my inner cowardice come out.

What I was thinking when I play Ibuki

Hey why go up when you have THIS RANGE

So I kept spamming HE cowardly from long range while my teammates fight in the front…

The range module is causing me lose my playstyle…

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

But while my awesome teammates pushed and crushed the enemy, I spent the major half of the battle spamming HE on a Yamato and did nothing else. The victory was my teammates', not mine.

In short: IJN ships are bad at winning games

403 posts
8,185 battles

Probably true. Ibuki's range is making my inner cowardice come out.

What I was thinking when I play Ibuki

Hey why go up when you have THIS RANGE

So I kept spamming HE cowardly from long range while my teammates fight in the front…

The range module is causing me lose my playstyle…

Same goes for Roon, except it is an AP spammer.

The trick to being a good HE spammer is to know when to HE spam which ship. Just adding one extra fire to an already burning ship can force him to use the damage control, which means he will flood/burn on the next hit. If you know that DamCon is con cool down, make that sucker burn, and that wins games.

I will go down to the grave defending the art of HE spam...

683 posts
7,358 battles

Well, spamming HE at long range works well with Hindenburg plus range module. It felt quite safe at distance, and most of the time could output a descent damage. Problem is it gets boring quickly :(

Yeah, now I'm using reload mod with Adrenaline rush as well... Yeah, still losing in Hindenburg though... :(

295 posts
6,613 battles

i'm not IJN cruiser player so i don't really understand why people said Ibuki is a bad ship while saying mogami is a good ship, isn't it basically the same ship?

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

i'm not IJN cruiser player so i don't really understand why people said Ibuki is a bad ship while saying mogami is a good ship, isn't it basically the same ship?

Ibuki for my opinion is a Mogami kai-ni 

Ibuki has only 203mm but Mogami has 155mm and 203mm for your choicemore RoF and troll DD or heavy damage bb and burn

But this patch now IFHE with 155mm is very effective more than 203mm but it reduce chance of fire by 3%

AA Ibuki is better than Mogami

Ibuki can shoot over 18km

They both can reduce to 9.7km (I can't remember)

Only one thing Mogami win is 155mm

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

I don't think Ibuki is bad, but it has a bad influence on my playstyle.

As for performance, a 203mm Mogami is quite similar to a Ibuki with slight differences.

1. Ibuki has longer range

2. Ibuki's armor is slightly better (the slope between the armored deck and the main belt)

3. Ibuki's turret transverse is slower

4. Ibuki has just a little bit better torp arc

5. Different torps(do people even upgrade that torp?)

6. Mogami has better concealment (up to 9.3 vs Ibuki's up to 9.7)

7.Ibuki has the standard feature of T9 cruisers (can mount spotter plane and the third slot for upgrades)

8.better AA

9.being at different tiers

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

In short: IJN ships are bad at winning games

But Zaou is OP and can crowd control and effectively hunt DDs better than any other cruiser which makes it have the most game influence!

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

But Zaou is OP and can crowd control and effectively hunt DDs better than any other cruiser which makes it have the most game influence!

To paraphrase Sliphantom

Replace E-25 with Zao.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

[LNA]
1,662 posts
10,466 battles

Plz do consider that it is the same tier as the Baltimoar , the number 1 useless ship if there is no CV in a match. ( Its radar is of limited uses and might be its only plus )

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

I hope you forgot the /s mark at the end as the majority doesn't understand the concept of how to win games, proof below

33o2j3c.png

Except CVs it seems. I always have a healthy respect (and fear) for CVs that just whacks DDs (and win games)

Yup, except IJN CVs. If I see 3 torp squad coming to my IJN DD I might aswell exit the match.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Ibuki is boring.  You do the same stuff as Myoko, and have the same shells since Furutaka.  The torpedo arcs are better than the tiers before it, and the armour is better, but armour geometry is still the same as the tiers before.  This means random citadels by BBs (plus its rudder is 9.5s which is worse than previous IJN CAs).  I would encourage range build over RoF since this ship is still pretty paper at range, and then just do IJN CA things like kiting.  RoF plus TRudder mod 2 and 3 gives 4.6s rudder and 13.2s shell reload, which is fine but it has large turning circle and bleeds a lot of speed when turning (just IJN CA things).  On the other hand that build would be great training for Zao.

Overall a boring ship on the road to the Zao, which is awesome.

48 posts

in my opinion Russian Cruisers are more worse than Japanese because people tend to shoot at it first because it has worse "Armor Tsk Tsk"

and because Russians add vodka at their HE shells. Many BB Players shoot at it because BB players hate getting their ship burn marks and as you already know .fires hurt so bad that you cant even resist pressing the Repair Button every goddamn second (Even its Reloading)

48 posts

Ibuki is boring.  You do the same stuff as Myoko, and have the same shells since Furutaka.  The torpedo arcs are better than the tiers before it, and the armour is better, but armour geometry is still the same as the tiers before.  This means random citadels by BBs (plus its rudder is 9.5s which is worse than previous IJN CAs).  I would encourage range build over RoF since this ship is still pretty paper at range, and then just do IJN CA things like kiting.  RoF plus TRudder mod 2 and 3 gives 4.6s rudder and 13.2s shell reload, which is fine but it has large turning circle and bleeds a lot of speed when turning (just IJN CA things).  On the other hand that build would be great training for Zao.

Overall a boring ship on the road to the Zao, which is awesome.

​Ibuki cant win against Baltimore but Ibuki has torps so.. Squeeze it