Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HeavenlyHost

German Ap ( DDs)

6 comments in this topic

20 posts
9,697 battles

I would like to know at which DD I should Fire Ap(German 128 Mass) . Sometimes Ap will do 2-3k and sometimes just....500-900.

ex. I was firing at a Kiev and Mahan at around 5-7k and I was doing 3-4k dmg. Tried that again thinking it would work later on Lenin and some IJN DDs...nope 900pitiful dmg....Ap only at midrange?i mean german HE is so.....

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,442 battles

I would like to know at which DD I should Fire Ap(German 128 Mass) . Sometimes Ap will do 2-3k and sometimes just....500-900.

ex. I was firing at a Kiev and Mahan at around 5-7k and I was doing 3-4k dmg. Tried that again thinking it would work later on Lenin and some IJN DDs...nope 900pitiful dmg....Ap only at midrange?i mean german HE is so.....

DDAP is kinda tricky, lets say if a DD fully broadsiding at 5km, you likely will get overpens since enemy amour on both side only worth ~40mm

For DDAP to get high damage is to: shell penetrating on one side but failed to penetrate the otherside, so it cause penetration(33%shell damage)

TLDR:  You get better AP damage when enemy ship angle is between fully broadsided and fully angled.

sorry for broken af Engrish

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,779 battles

German DD AP has poor penetration, so it will bounce at anything but broadside targets.  However, it will do excellent damage against any broadside ship.  When aiming at DD's, I will aim half way up the hull at the centre point of the ship - this means you will hit the engine box (basically the citadel if DD's still had one), and do excellent damage per salvo.  I do this against any DD.  Against some DD's you will even get regular pens when the AP hits other parts of the ship (Gearing, Khaba, other German DD's).

Against cruisers and battleships, I will aim at the base of the superstructure, centre mass.  You will do excellent damage at all ranges with AP doing this.  As soon as they go even slightly away from broadside you will bounce though, so switch back to HE till you get another broadside shot.

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

The only destroyer than you need to be Firing AP on is Khabarosvk. Before going around battles. There is a quote that i learn. "Know your enemy well". Take note and remember almost everything about it. I did that and khabarosvk were crying because most of the players will go broadside when seeing u.

Khabarosvk is the only DD that have 50mm armor. So using HE from a 127mm guns will not do it unless u hit different areas. For germans DD, i suggest u do the same.. Learn about that line... But it is recommended to fire HE at all destroyers and in few cases fire AP. Overpen and Pen is a case that can lead to your death. :<

Edited by Safiuddin97

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

Thats not problem with range or armor thickness

When AP hit the hull of enemy ship, it fuse need some delay before the shell explode

the problem were combination of german AP were so fast, and the beam (lenght) of most DD were to thin

so the AP shell tend ovepenetrate, piercing the hull clean and explode outside the ship - giving a lot of overpen

some ship have wide beam, like khabarovsk and gearring- also some of russianDD 

and german DD AP will tear their broadside hull in seconds (try it)

but on ship with thin beam, like fletcher it wll overpen a lot

the tricky part were you need to know where is the comfortable range of using the AP. when german DD AP were slowed enough by airdrag so it wont overshoot thin beam DD - which is very frustating and hard

or when the enemy DD is not fully broadside, but present at slight angle so your AP wont overpenetrate. the flimsy, fragile german AP that easily shatter are just making it more frustating

for potato me, I just shoot AP broadside at the DD with wide beam (like gearring) and HE for the rest 

Edited by humusz

Sign in to follow this