You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

A much needed conversation about IJN DDs

85 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

As someone who both plays IJN DDs and gets IJN DDs in his team, I think the situation with IJN DDs needs to be addressed.

But before that, I would like to apologise for playing these ships.  I was once a skrub and played weeb smolbotes even after the nerfs, because sunk cost fallacy  Never have I been more mistaken.  Apparently now, it appears only the Premium IJN DDs, plus Shiratsuyu and Akizuki are in any way useful to teams (if played right).  Everything else just sucks, and I have no idea why would anyone play them.

Why would anyone, with the right mind, play a ship that is unmaneuverable, has decent concealment (that does not make up for the poor maneuverability), has terrible gun handling (turret traverse), poor torps (long spotting range), but similar reload as USN.

I think WG should just remove IJN DDs and put them in super containers.

Feel free to comment.

TL;DR
Most IJN DDs are terrible, why people still play them?

213 posts
4,335 battles

Actually, there has just been a stealth megabuff to IJN DDs...

RADIO LOCATION

AKA The Never Again Get Spotted Hack.

You can:

- Cap with impunity

- Shadow and stealth spot enemy DDs with no risk of detection

- Dust of your 20km type 90s and blind splam waves of 15 torpedoes in the general direction of where RL is pointed and hit a hilarious amount of ships.

Please try - Shima has gone from being useless to completely brilliant - if a bit silly.

Radio Location; designed to encourage DD hunting.... LOL

* Also, you need to add Kagero to your list of decent ships

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Actually, there has just been a stealth megabuff to IJN DDs...

RADIO LOCATION

AKA The Never Again Get Spotted Hack.

You can:

- Cap with impunity

- Shadow and stealth spot enemy DDs with no risk of detection

- Dust of your 20km type 90s and blind splam waves of 15 torpedoes in the general direction of where RL is pointed and hit a hilarious amount of ships.

Please try - Shima has gone from being useless to completely brilliant - if a bit silly.

Radio Location; designed to encourage DD hunting.... LOL

* Also, you need to add Kagero to your list of decent ships

:trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface:

Is that what I sense?

I tried RDF on Shimakaze for keks too, but enemy has basic competence!.  Teach me how to git skrubs to farm in my Shimakaze pls!

1,126 posts

why would I play IJNDD even WG utterly hate them, nerf them, turn them to trash etc...?

....you don't need a reason for 'love' man :teethhappy:

and it's kind of psychology thing.

since nobody expect anything form IJNDD torpedo-boat these day. and I like to be unexpected.

if no one expect anything form me (IJNDD) than no matter how suck I am, no one gonna pay attention.

it like... stress-free life.

420 posts
20 battles

Yuugumo, the gun alone is comparable with udaloi. And still there's Kamikaze. 5.5 concealment to boot.

Well You can tailor Shimakaze to have similar gun like Yuugumo, just less concealment.

Edited by Zwelivelle

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Yuugumo, the gun alone is comparable with udaloi. And still there's Kamikaze. 5.5 concealment to boot.

Well You can tailor Shimakaze to have similar gun like Yuugumo, just less concealment.

You know what makes RU DD workable?

You have topkek speed and dodge shells by pressing Y and turning toward the enemy.

Yuugumo has great stealth firing range, but lower fires per minute, and slightly lower HE DPM.

But stealth firing in ASIA server with DDs spotting you? good luck.

Stealth firing and not dying in the process in Yugumo is not effective.

Stealth firing while trying to do damage in Yuugumo gets you killed.

Don't get me wrong Yuugumo is a good ship, just that having a Tier 8.5 DD in a tier full of tier 9.5 DDs makes it poor by comparison.

and that's the case in almost every tier for IJN ships.

181 posts
7,594 battles

My stats in the only T9 DDs I currently own...

yYqLWCm.jpg

So I was wondering if WR or damage is better? or the overall WTR still justify better than those two?

"Every" IJN DDs (save for the one mentioned by the OP) are that "bad"? Could it be just the players who's been playing in wrong? or maybe many players already have the "mind" of "IJN DDs are crap" but anyway....

I might also haven't been playing my Fletcher in the right way because of what's happening right now (yes it's lunar new year, so MM is in a complete mess) but I just cannot say how some of the IJN DDs are completely "useless". I've been tailoring both of my Yugumo and Shimakaze with the RoF mod instead of the torp reload mod (while taking the F3 over any other torp options) and It just worked fine for me.

Still, to respect everyone's opinion then... I will not play them when divving anymore.

Edited by 8knots

203 posts
11,795 battles

Main reason to play IJN DD.
The sound of "Most powerful torpedoes in the game", "KC Anime thing". (Of course in reality they rarely hit and can be spotted from the sun)
There are some out there handles IJN DDs just fine against even a gunboats but most of IJN DD drivers ...yeah.
Please don't look down on all IJN DD drivers some have a sense to do something. (yeah some)
I do agree Shimakaze, Yugumo, Akizuki, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikazes/Fujin (whatever) are competitive while the rest are absolute joke.

Radio Location sure allows users to know where enemy roughly is.
In reality you still have to contest the cap and there are a lot out there who have a sense to handle a ship with better concealment and for this case +RL.
If you use RL only for staying out of sight then good luck there's a chance you'll end up sailing around not doing good for the team because you only waiting for your enemy to leave the position you wanted.

Using RL to land 20kms torps on a cluster of ships?

that's such a nice fantasy since those torpedoes can be spotted from another universe not the sun!.

Edited by MikuChrome

420 posts
20 battles

Akatsuki, she need at least 6.1 concealment not 6.4 with CE.

I used to play tier 7 Hatsuharu with smaller concealment and godly turning radius.

With the buff on the other ships, and skill changes, HE dmg nerf... i think Akatsuki deserves to have concealment similar to the old Hatsuharu or just a tiny bit higher.

The old HE dmg on Japanese DDs were devastating tho, many wont believe me, that i smacked 5k dmg a salvo to a Fletcher with Fubuki.

I used to sunk cocky Russian and nosy USN DDs with IJN DDs.

Poi ship is not that good IMO, flurry of torps is a thing, but even with prem. reload booster it is not that useful. Individual torp damage also not spectacular, at the worst case it only doing around 5500 dmg to Colorado, the best torpedo bulge i believe. While her gun is severely lacking. The single turret is not that useful as it is not super firing. With only 33 knot and 2 guns backwards, you can't escape when chased. And smoke is not always the answer since she is on the tier of radar ships.

Edited by Zwelivelle

213 posts
4,335 battles

Main reason to play IJN DD.

The sound of "Most powerful torpedoes in the game", "KC Anime thing". (Of course in reality they rarely hit and can be spotted from the sun)

There are some out there handles IJN DDs just fine against even a gunboats but most of IJN DD drivers ...yeah.

Please don't look down on all IJN DD drivers some have a sense to do something. (yeah some)

I do agree Shimakaze, Yugumo, Akizuki, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Kamikazes/Fujin (whatever) are competitive while the rest are absolute joke.

Radio Location sure allows users to know where enemy roughly is.

In reality you still have to contest the cap and there are a lot out there who have a sense to handle a ship with better concealment and for this case +RL.

If you use RL only for staying out of sight then good luck there's a chance you'll end up sailing around not doing good for the team because you only waiting for your enemy to leave the position you wanted.

Using RL to land 20kms torps on a cluster of ships?

that's such a nice fantasy since those torpedoes can be spotted from another universe not the sun!.

Try it before you dis it mate. Really, we've got 2 days of  1 dubloon reset left.

Shima with 20km torps + torp accel, CE + RL. You can play very aggressive since you know where the closest enemy is, just keep them at a oblique angle from you as soon as you are spotted you can turn away and disappear.  Downside is F3s no longer work since anyone that close to you is warned by RL that there are incoming torps . Result is that you end up blind firing 16KM torps at your RL indicator (especially in smoke or between islands) or at groups of ships.  Do you hit what you're aiming at? Actually do you even know what you are aiming at? Probably not.  Do you get a stupid number of hits despite this? Unfortunately yes.  

First couple games I literally LOLed at the stupidity of this play style - but hey, "If its stupid but it works, its not stupid".

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

Try it before you dis it mate. Really, we've got 2 days of  1 dubloon reset left.

Shima with 20km torps + torp accel, CE + RL. You can play very aggressive since you know where the closest enemy is, just keep them at a oblique angle from you as soon as you are spotted you can turn away and disappear.  Downside is F3s no longer work since anyone that close to you is warned by RL that there are incoming torps . Result is that you end up blind firing 16KM torps at your RL indicator (especially in smoke or between islands) or at groups of ships.  Do you hit what you're aiming at? Actually do you even know what you are aiming at? Probably not.  Do you get a stupid number of hits despite this? Unfortunately yes.  

First couple games I literally LOLed at the stupidity of this play style - but hey, "If its stupid but it works, its not stupid".

Can i find enemies like you do? If some enemies really cant evade 20km (EVEN UPGRADED WITH TA), is considered below avg. Those thing comes with 2.5km base detection. While having not so good guns. and not so good armor. No so good AA. We can rely on torpedoes. If someone always spam 15 torpedoes each salvo then its easy

But thinking back. Those stock torps is way too underpowered. 2.5km base detection (Imagine enemy have Vigilance + Target Acqui Upg + Hydro (KM BB)). How is you torps is going to hurt that ships? I play shimakaze too :D 

181 posts
7,594 battles

No, no, no just no... I even free xp-ed the F3 torps on the Shimakaze because (I think) that's the only "working" torpedo for her, and I did not regret that decision.

Unless CVs are in the game ofc but you can't play her properly anyway in that situation.

Super Tester
989 posts
4,319 battles

You dont. U use the Type 93 mod 3 (12km Torps)

They have same base detection as F3. 

But better alpha Dmg. THAT ONE. u use TA.

Becomes

9.6km 72knots 23k alpha dmg 1.9km base detection. I ve been running those setup and it clearly give advantage. And those BB planes spot torps too so be careful

Edited by Safiuddin97

85 posts
4,556 battles

Quote from this thread:

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/22197-i-need-a-rant-dds-spot-cap-uncontested-caps-please-oh-and-learn-to-work-together/#topmost

View PostR3negade, on 27 January 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

DD supposed to fight caps and kill other DDs. Simple and easy.

Never trust IJN DD, never put any hope on them.

They are very funny, they know they can't win caps, they know they can't win ship engagements, they know they can't escape from CV attacks and they continue their journey in IJNDD and ruin 11 other players day.

If MM put bunch of those guys in your team... mostly auto lose.

Only USN and KM DD could be your savior.

They are terrible because scrubs rush into caps knife-fighting US DDs and gets killed immediately, or torp at max range (and can't hit shit because enemies can wasd) and never fire their guns the entire match.

You need a considerable amount of skill to make IJN DDs work. The most important ones are knowing when to use your guns and KNOWING HOW TO AIM YOUR TORPS PROPERLY (i.e. never firing at the white line)

Edited by Ryuuoh_DeltaPlus

181 posts
7,594 battles

You need a considerable amount of skill to make IJN DDs work. The most important ones are knowing when to use your guns and KNOWING HOW TO AIM YOUR TORPS PROPERLY (i.e. never firing at the white line)

True dat but it definitely doesn't sound like "removing the entire IJN DD line" or "telling people to stop playing them" (even some players DO know how to properly play IJN DDs).

Even scrubs can come from DDs of the other nations as well.

Edited by 8knots

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,034 battles

It's not the IJN DDs that are bad, it's the players...........................................

I am inclined to say that a team having 2-3 IJN DDs vs a team having 2-3 USN DDs in domination is very likely to lose unless there is an extreme skill difference in favor of the IJN DDs.

Seriously. The only thing that they can do better than USN is long range fire and/or stealth torp (at lower tiers). The Akizuki and Shiratsuyu (tech tree) and Fujinkaze/Shinonome (premium) stand as exceptions to the "IJN DDs are bad" rule. You would NEVER see Kageros/Yugumos/Shimakazes in any competitive setting when the Benson/Fletcher/Gearing can do nearly everything that wins the game so much better.

That said, IJN DDs are good noob-deletion devices, so they ARE valuable... against idiots. However, the moment you run into a competent player you WILL get whacked (especially if its a USN DD).

Edited by stratmania

Video Contributor
2,267 posts
10,789 battles

I'm preparing to covert commander up to 15pt for Shimakaze(old commander was moved to Akizuki already)

I think Akizuki is too op if has IFHE total with IFHE Akizuki can fight every DDs 

what about Shimakaze? I don't know this patch I didn't play since new sub tech was added

IJN DDs is not bad player is bad

RDF I think useful for IJN DDs (I got detected by Kagerou many times)