You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kultabashi

The struggle between "Playing for fun" and "Playing to Win"

28 comments in this topic

520 posts
11,125 battles

The Weekend Strugle is real, and it really affects players like me who have the mindset of wanting to perform well for thier respective teams.

Its very demoralizing to have loose consecutively despite all efforts to carry the team.  Most Weekend Warriors "Play for Fun".... Not that Playing for fun is wrong...  But i think it becomes wrong when "You play for Fun and dont care of the output... Win or loose it dosnt matter"

Perhaps, its just a matter of mindset... Most people dont have a competitive nature and dont really care..

Mindset is "Playing to Win... Is Fun"

- it makes advancing to the next tier Faster

- if gives more XP and Moolah

- It just feels good to win.

Anyway, back to the Grind:) see you out there captains.. And good luck.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Weekends are hard, and yes you have to cater to those that play to have fun.

I generally have little complaints, if they are on my team, but when they get to tier 10 by grinding and still derp for fun with a critical ship, i.e. carrier entering the cap first, then i get frustrated!

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,828 posts
4,103 battles

The balance is knowing when to pull out and do something else for the day.   I play for fun and winning is fun.  I don't win a lot, but I ensure I don't mash my head on the keyboard in order to control my ship.   Losing is not fun and having a victory snatched from you due to stupidity is the worst of the worst.

But to remedy a few losses in randoms I have a few Coop games to make me feel belter about myself (ezmode makes everyone happy)

250 posts
13,136 battles

For me, Playing for fun is enjoy the game, do my best to contribute as much as possible.

And I like playing to win so I can play less game per day. It isn't fun when you have to stay in front of screen for longer than 2 hours because I keep losing hard.

Everyone can go full potato even super unicum player, and so am I

but best thing I can do is keep improving my gameplay so I can enjoy the game more (and spend time less) :) 

Edited by New_Horizontal

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,454 battles

Perhaps the Matchmaker could separate players into those two groups and pit the resulting teams against each other, every match. The "Play To Win" group gets to win every match and the "Play For Fun" group gets to have fun and everybody's happy. I'm a genius.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Play for fun?

Create an NA account, because the skill level of players caters more towards "fun"

Play to win?

Play in Asia, because you actually need to git gud to win here.

520 posts
11,125 battles

Good idea on sparating Fun, not so serious players and Competetive players... lol... i wonder how wargaming will do that... but im eager for it to be implemented... the closest thing to that is Ranked battles... which can be extremely competetive as you go up the ranks.    This is pretty much the great equalizer for the not so serious players.

Personally, ive been trying my darn best to improve... from wr of 43... my target is to be blue.... or maybe purple after around 100,000 battles or so. Lol..... 

I love my ships crews:honoring: so much... i dont want to think my crews die for teamates who dont care for them...

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,984 battles

Play for fun?

Create an NA account, because the skill level of players caters more towards "fun"

Play to win?

Play in Asia, because you actually need to git gud to win here.

You are really tempting me to play on NA (again).

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Play for fun?

This amuses me cause I've been playing on NA a bit more lately, helping some 

friends there with the long grind to the 99th special colour Myokou.

NA might just be the only server where the majority of players aren't using or understanding 

Priority Target.

Here's that awesome skill that basically tells the player "Nonono, watch your broadside!"

Meanwhile, I'm watching both cruisers and battleships still sailing straight for a year and a half...

They also only seem to come in two types when it comes to engaging someone with Priority Target.

Player A will switch targets and never look back.

Player B will continue to angrily miss every shot at a prepared target.

I've never even encountered someone on NA who tries to cheese the Priority Target marker

by cancelling the target assist to make the opponent think he's save. :x

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Curiously are you playing in NA prime-time?

Me?

I live in Europe, so on my days off I wake up early to hit the prime time, but I also play according 

to my general free time.

420 posts
20 battles

Playing PT is quite fun too, especially if you're asian server hardcore. It is like heaven.

I saw Chapayev on my Z-23, he shot me several times, and none of them connect or even near miss. He didn't use radar either hahaha.

Or a Buddyony 7-8km away who fail to kill my beached 1450 HP left DD, instead get killed.

Or several cruisers that trying to zig zag in random manner trying to avoid my torp but still getting hit or near miss 2/3 of the time.

1,105 posts

i know that feel..... howling sheet....

when your team get wiped out less than 7 minutes!!

i am playing carrier and manage to spot+strafe enemy CV bomber+kill 1 BB, badluck are real! if i have 3 more min, i can turn the table. 

i remember get the 5streak lose with zuiho, i should get a badluck ribbon like "detonation".

i know i am not good at CA or BB, but atleast i did better in CV. but losing in 5-10 min is really frustating!

did i do something wrong in CV?

307 posts
6,412 battles

Look i have this friend who plays part-time, he can sometimes kill my WR cause he wants to play with me as he doesn't take it seriously, while i am no stand-out in any way i can hold my own in most games.  He calls me up and says hey i got this new T7 ship lets play, and i say what about Co_OP, thinking well people get upset but he says no, I want to play humans.  So I know he is going to get smashed when we play, but hey he is my friend and so i play with him without complaining.  I do try to tell him to not take his CL out in front of everybody but he says .... no all you guys are just hanging back and its boring.  I said no that's cause they are looking for a weakness or a soft spot before attacking.  Anyway so 5 or so games he is almost always the first to die or the 2nd, but hey he is having fun, and yes i do kinda feel the pressure to do more and sometimes it works.  With that in mind, yes we lost the first 3 games and but won then we won the next two, still he was the 1st or 2nd to die, but he still did some damage, even tho i am an average player i am sure, for some reason i seem to do better with 3 of the 5 games finished first in one and top 3 in the other 2 which is unusual for me when he doesn't play, haha so figure that one out?   Just cause a player is just having fun or part-time, it doesn't guarantee that you will lose!

Edited by Burnt_Out_Koalas

1,105 posts

Look i have this friend who plays part-time,he can kill my WR cause he wants to play with me as he doesn't take it seriously, while i am no stand-out in any way i can hold my own in most games.  He calls me up and says hey i got this new T7 ship lets play, and i say what about Co_OP thinking well people get upset but he says no, I want to play humans.  I know he is going to get smashed when we play, but he is my friend and so i play with him.  I try to tell him to not take his CL out in front of everybody but he says .... no all you guys are just hanging back.  I said no thats cause they are looking for a weakness or a soft spot before attacking, 5 or so games he is almost always the first to die but hey he is having fun, i kinda feel the pressure to do more and sometimes it works.  With that in mind ... we lost the first 3 games and won the next 2 and even when i am an average player for some reason i seem to do better with 3 of the 5 games finished first in one and top 3 in the other 2 which is unusual for me when he doesn't play haha figure that one out?   Just cause a player is just having fun doesn't guarantee tee you will lose!

i like that gameplay, impatience, rush and madmax style. your friend gameplay is not wrong, the only biggest MISTAKE is taking the wrong sheep!

i am used to play like that, use Glass canon Kriegsmarine CA with the poor survivability (until tier 5). of course, sunk and sunk a lot. i think i should play BB instead.... BUT ITS ALSO WRONG CHOICE! play BB is more harder and slower.... 30+ sec to shot when your accuracy is so bad...... No hit.....

this is the reason why your friend should play IJN CV :

1. obviously the most highest impact ship in the game, high damage, spotting, prevent enemy bomber, and the global presence.

2. crossdrop torpedo have a high chance to hit. even the DD have a hard time againts dis

3. anywhere..... anytime..... sunk the enemy!

4. no doubt, HIGHES SURVIVABILITY

5. very rewarding for noob player who learn it...... well....  i am not good with other class sheep.... doing 50K~100K damage with CV look awesome for me. 

6. easy and fast to learn, there is no "peskypesky a lot of mechanic" to learn. the only thing to learn is only manual bombing, strafing, position, and a bit of strategy.

yep is that all!

33 posts
7,611 battles

I like playing for fun and I do try to win but I switch to co-op battles when I find too many obsessed idiots vomiting abuse to team members when the team isn't winning.

Video Contributor
2,262 posts
10,782 battles

Play for fun it's means you must not care your team whatever tiers and ranks or pro player who plays well and want to fun with people

Someone has said "I dont care my team I just play for fun if I sunk I will trun to my port and play next warship *loop*"

Play to win it's means Saipan :hiding:

Edited by Onlinegamer