You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legionary2099

Does DE + IFHE combo work on US DD

14 comments in this topic

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

Was comtemplating on getting the IFHE + DE combo on US DD. The low fire chance is very concerning and i just dont know if the combo is worth it or should i just go for AFT and grab DE to stealth fire and annoy BB to death.

Say NO to RDF because that wallhack just got me killed so many times while trying to be sneaky - yep WG screws this up and remove every "skill ceiling" available in the game along with the +50% FT ammo crap :angry:

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Nope, I wouldn't recommend IFHE on USN DDs. The penetrating damage is too low to be reliable and losing out on fire starting is a bummer cos it's yr main damage dealer. I tried it on the Sims and it's not worth it, even if you equip DE. 

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

127mm / 6 = 21-22mm pen * 130% = 27-28mm.

Trying to damage Colorado fore end, and deck plating ?

No , but dealing damage to the superstructure overall . At around 7-8 km ( literally walking the shell across the ship ) i get alot of bounces and no damage hit against BB who is running away or are turning bow on ( Yamatos ,GK, ...) . The fact that some larger BB who is easier to walk shell across has some weird superstructure area that cant be damaged or penned is alot and dealing 30 + shots for 1-2k damage are not uncommon and this is why i wonder if IFHE is worth it to deal damage ( everyone take Firefighting Expert so it is very hard to set fires right now - thats how i feel when i get 200+ shots on a Yammy for 2 fires ...)

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

You are already guaranteed to pen superstructure of all ships without IFHE. The reason for no damage is because you hit deck/bow/stern armor which is too thick for 127 mm HE, or you hit secondary/AA guns that surround the superstructure.

With IFHE it will allow you to pen 25 mm armor (bow/stern of tier 7 and lower BBs, hull of most mid-high tier cruisers).

Is it worth the 4 points and reduced fire chance? Personally, I'd rather spend those 4 points elsewhere. Even worse if you're forced to take DE to compensate for it. A better investment would be to get better at hitting superstructure.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

Yamato, GK's superstructure is just 19mm

If Yamato is pointing his front to you you wont get any damage and just get fire and broken modules ( tried ) , i have to place shells in the rear area of the superstructure to be able to deal damage. Same with GK.

If a BB is running away and is angling , the same happen to my dismay ( although shots can do some damage now, but it is just scratching for something 270ish)

Dealing the most damage with HE to my experience is when i can shots on broadside somehow , if bow or aft on it diminish by alot ( not taking into account miss shots)

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

. A better investment would be to get better at hitting superstructure.

Not trying to be mean but control where the shell will land in a general area is already hard enough for me , i am not good enough to snipe with the mortar arc. This is especially true if i start firing at 6.5 km and the target is running away

783 posts
4,810 battles

127mm shells pen all superstructures that are 19mm anyway, so IFHE does not help with that.

Only reason you 'may' take IFHE for USN DDs is when you want to penetrate the bow/stern and platings of generally T8-T10 CAs and want to punish lower than T8 BBs especially Colorado/Nagato which have 25mm all around.

But since the 4 skill point row has lots of skills useful for USN DD (AFT for DFAA support, RL for DD hunting, CE overall) not to mention lower skill cost skills like AR/TAE/BFT/JoAT/SI/DE which "may" be considered, having IFHE is a bit questionable, as well as gimping your already low fire chance.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

I get the gist now , so IFHE is not worth it due to it lower the US abysmal fire chance like i feared.

I just thought that taking IFHE may worth it for popping up damage if the shell do not land in the center of the ship hull ( hence overtop the superstructure and do damage ). With my shooting skill landing shots right on top of that is inconsistant , most go to the left or right a bit ...

Thank you for your answers

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

21mm*1.3=27.3mm→28mm

For a T10 battle, you'll be able to penetrate the 21mm plating of Gearing and T8-10 cruisers' bow and stern in addition.

With that said, I'd say not worth it. As high tier US DDs don't pew-pew all game long like a Soviet does.

420 posts
20 battles

If you're shooting at BB facing to you, there are things that make your shot will not pen.

It is either the turret, bow armor and conning tower.

Edited by Zwelivelle

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,304 battles

Not worth the skill points, u have better skills to take. Ur primary job as USN DD is to hunt down other DDs. Rest only comes later. U r better off playing RU DD who will benefit from it since they will just shoot from range to annoy ppl.