You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_ExecutiveOrder_

152mm HE penetration value?

8 comments in this topic

49 posts
6,861 battles

According to http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#High-Explosive.

HE penetration rate is 1/6 fo shell caliber, and 1/4 for KMS BB. Without IFHE

But I'm just try Training battle, using Budyonny against New Mexico. Aim for upper side belt, decks, plating (bow-stern) with same 25 mm armor stats, 100% got non-penetration. I knew this before, far before this update, do same non-penetration, except for only superstructure.

152mm / 6 = 25.33 mm penetration, and New Mexico has 25 mm bow-stern armor. But my shells can't penetrate it?

In other source (Reddit), 152mm just got 25.00 mm penetration.

So, if it's penetration rate 25 mm, so how can't penetrate 25 mm NM armor? Or, 25mm wasn't the exact thickness, it's maybe has 25.34 mm or higher (< 25.5 so WG can't round it up) armor. 

Or armor < penetration if want to penetrate with HE (same amount can't penetrate)

So, T5-8 VMF cruisers and other 152mm guns can't penetrate tier 6-7 BB plating? And can't penetrate common 25mm T7+ CA armor?

Can someone explain?

Thanks. :)

381 posts
9,957 battles

Penetration value is rounded to the nearest integer and has to EXCEED the threshold to penetrate instead of being equal. I only knew this back a few days ago when I tested IFHE in training room. And everybody was wrong when they thought Akizuki only had 17mm penetration value before 0.6.0 - it actually had 19mm back then but you need 20mm to penetrate t8+ DD bow/stern and t8+ BB superstructure.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

The penetration of HE is a bit weird. Even though the penetration is rated at 25mm it will actually only penetrate 24mm or less - a 25mm plate will shatter it. The HE penetration rating needs to be higher than the armour plate, not merely equal.

Beta Tester
95 posts
2,664 battles

What's difference between ricochet and bounce?

I would guess that a bounce is repetitive and in an up down motion. IE ball bouncing goes up down up down up down.

A ricochet however can go in any and every direction. They go, up down left right backwards forwards, and every other direction like a Wonkavetor.