Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yansuki

impresion with Des Moines

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

finally unlock Desu Moines.. i mean Des Moines after using some free exp. really love her AP combine with the fast firing guns she has. she can punish broadsiding bb with her AP. but i enjoy her the most when playing with carriers. its really satisfying to shoot down all the planes that attacking your allied bb, so i love to play with aggressive bb who are pushing the flank and provide AA cover.

but i don have couples of problem with her

1. her Bow and Aft are lacking with few mm of armor. she takes lots of damage from 16" shells and more with larger caliber shell. sometimes i even got citadel via plunging fire, while her counterpart CA are fine bow tanking similar shell with ease. she suppose to be a close range to mid range cruiser but its hard to push flank because of this.

2. her shell arc is horrible. baltimore and other cruiser USN has fine but Des moines have really bad shell arc, it takes 14+ sec to reach her max range of 18km (with range module) even bellow 10km its harder to hit DD with her. its completely different felling compare to baltimore or other CA. i know its suppose to be a nerf for her faster RoF but imo they overdid it.

its so hard to use her on open maps like Okinawa where most of the island mass are on A cap which are isolated. or ocea (pls rng dont let me spawn there when i play des mones) most of the time i have to ask dd to smoke up, so i can close the distance to used radar and help kill dd. but the main problem is, some dd dont even wanted to use their smoke or enter the cap. (probably because of RPF) i even encounter USN dd who don't want to cap at all.

she's most enjoyable when playing on cyclone. because she really excel on close quarter and has radar to spot dd and extend her range for 30sec.

anyone has suggestion on how to get better at playing Des moines? i really love this ship because of her AA and high rate of fire but i'm really struggling because of said problems. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

finally unlock Desu Moines.. i mean Des Moines after using some free exp. really love her AP combine with the fast firing guns she has. she can punish broadsiding bb with her AP. but i enjoy her the most when playing with carriers. its really satisfying to shoot down all the planes that attacking your allied bb, so i love to play with aggressive bb who are pushing the flank and provide AA cover.

but i don have couples of problem with her

1. her Bow and Aft are lacking with few mm of armor. she takes lots of damage from 16" shells and more with larger caliber shell. sometimes i even got citadel via plunging fire, while her counterpart CA are fine bow tanking similar shell with ease. she suppose to be a close range to mid range cruiser but its hard to push flank because of this.

2. her shell arc is horrible. baltimore and other cruiser USN has fine but Des moines have really bad shell arc, it takes 14+ sec to reach her max range of 18km (with range module) even bellow 10km its harder to hit DD with her. its completely different felling compare to baltimore or other CA. i know its suppose to be a nerf for her faster RoF but imo they overdid it.

its so hard to use her on open maps like Okinawa where most of the island mass are on A cap which are isolated. or ocea (pls rng dont let me spawn there when i play des mones) most of the time i have to ask dd to smoke up, so i can close the distance to used radar and help kill dd. but the main problem is, some dd dont even wanted to use their smoke or enter the cap. (probably because of RPF) i even encounter USN dd who don't want to cap at all.

she's most enjoyable when playing on cyclone. because she really excel on close quarter and has radar to spot dd and extend her range for 30sec.

anyone has suggestion on how to get better at playing Des moines? i really love this ship because of her AA and high rate of fire but i'm really struggling because of said problems. 

go play zao

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

Actually, she's got the strongest bow armour of the Tier X cruisers, at 27mm. The others all have 25mm. This means she'll bounce 15" shells, while the others can only bounce up to 14". Although Hindenburg does have a pair of small 40mm plates set back from the bow and these can stop larger rounds, but their surface area is tiny, especially when bow-on.

Basically, none of the cruisers fare any better than Des Moines against 16" shells. You can try to angle more and deflect (autobounce) from your 152mm belt armour but it's not exactly reliable.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Actually, she's got the strongest bow armour of the Tier X cruisers, at 27mm. The others all have 25mm. This means she'll bounce 15" shells, while the others can only bounce up to 14". Although Hindenburg does have a pair of small 40mm plates set back from the bow and these can stop larger rounds, but their surface area is tiny, especially when bow-on.

Basically, none of the cruisers fare any better than Des Moines against 16" shells. You can try to angle more and deflect (autobounce) from your 152mm belt armour but it's not exactly reliable.

then why is moskva better at bow tanking? because she has better citadel armor? when i tried to shoot moskva with NC or Iowa AP i mostly got bounces or no damage.

451 posts
6,946 battles

team up with some usn weed, this ship cannot solo multiples unlike zao; u need the friendly weed to get high and close. in shima i aolways smoke dms and that usually wins the cap for my team. if no weed for u then tell them too bad enjoy capping alone

Edited by Kleiss

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,814 battles

The tankiness comes from the 30mm armor plates on the sides and deck. Sometimes the deck is 50mm like Moskva. Des Moines is entirely 27mm hence the whole ship can be overmatched. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

The tankiness comes from the 30mm armor plates on the sides and deck. Sometimes the deck is 50mm like Moskva. Des Moines is entirely 27mm hence the whole ship can be overmatched.  

meanwhile zao...

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

then why is moskva better at bow tanking? because she has better citadel armor? when i tried to shoot moskva with NC or Iowa AP i mostly got bounces or no damage.

This just now from the training room, a North Carolina shooting a bow-on Moskva:

CfYEqiR.jpg

No bounces or ricochets.

What you're probably seeing is Moskva bouncing shells at long range with her deck armour.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

This just now from the training room, a North Carolina shooting a bow-on Moskva:

CfYEqiR.jpg

No bounces or ricochets.

What you're probably seeing is Moskva bouncing shells at long range with her deck armour.

yep its from long range shot.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

That's right. Zao features a similarly annoying strong armour layout which works at range, too.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Basically armour geometry wise:
Zao>Hindy>Moskva>DM >Minotaur

Citadel wise:
Hindy>Zao>DM>Moskva>Minotaur

Bowtank wise (remember, only skrubs and Moskva bowtenk):
Moskva > DM > Zao = Hindy > Minotaur

Aft wise:

DM>all>Minotaur

Problem with DM is that everywhere besides 6 inch main belt can be overmatched by 16 inch shells.  While other ships at same tier (besides minotaur) need 18 inch shells to have their upper belts/decks overmatched.

Sign in to follow this