You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMASSydney

Encouraging Rookie Players

48 comments in this topic

17 posts

Hi 

I have been playing this game for around 3 months now and I'm still learning new things every time I play the game. One thing I have noticed in most battles I have played is the amount of people bagging on other players. I woke up at 5 am this morning and (still half asleep) decided to take my newly purchased Nurnberg out for its first run before I did anything else. I took it out stock standard to see what it was like and I was up against mainly tier VII and VIII ships. I was being cautious with the ship and getting the feel of how it works and switching between HE and AP etc. At the end of the battle I was the last ship left against about 6 other ships and I was quickly dispatched by a Bismarck in one shot. I noticed a message pop up from a member of my team saying I was as useless as a key flag and so on just before the game ended. I checked the game stats and I had around about the same score of 80% of the players and 76 hits on enemy ships. 

I know a lot of spineless people use this game as some sort of coping mechanism for not being good at anything else in their life, but maybe they should give players more encouragement instead of throwing out comments with no substance. I have never played a CV in this game, but I can't believe all the "noob CV player" comments I see in lower tier games. How else are players meant to learn without making mistakes.

At the end of the day you get to use your "pretend" ship over and over again and no harm is done to you or your keyboard.

That's my rant for the day

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

eh, some people tske their stats very seriously, the really good ones that is. theres ppl playing compettitively and those who are playing just for fun, i have no problem with people "playing for fun" but if someone wants to play at mid~high tiers then they souldnt be ruining the gaming experience for the rest of us

520 posts
11,124 battles

lol... i feel you there captain... you might have to get used to those "SALTY" players....  and yes, the game can be a coping mechanism for some... if not many.

Many in this game Invest so much time and even MONEY and more often then not, new players....who are still feeling the game are Pressured to perform, as so NOT TO LOOSE the game.   You will get better over time like everyone else.

Do your best, Play the Role your ship excels at, and more important... have fun.  BUT... you will have to learn to play at the level of everyone else :)

Edited by kultabashi

440 posts
3,379 battles

I've seen those type of people attacking me or someone else. But I'm REALLY sad and confused when these people play low tiers and when the team melts they say "noob team", I know some seal clubbers or a well known player can just pop out and possibly carry the game but come on its low tiers where people are still learning. 

307 posts
6,410 battles

I feel your pain, I'm an average player with average stats, sometimes i excel, sometimes i have a horrible game.  I am now just learning to play in teams, which is very different to the way i play in random games as i normally make my own decisions which sometimes i have Fantastic results.  T9 game i sank four ships in a game .... play the same level then you do nothing as you are either unable due to or you just cant seem to make the right decisions.   My only advise, even for CV players who are learning is to play CO-OP in the ship till you feel comfortable with it, get some better understanding of the ships capabilities etc.... the biggest thing you can do in CO-OP is challenge your own ship, find its weak spots and strengths, this will make you understand the ship better.  People think cause your a DD SHIP that you must CAP a zone, well not all DD's are designed for that.... Tashkents for example.  Finally just ignore the haters, it will make your life better.

1 post
4,496 battles

There are times where the expletives outnumber normal text in the dialogue. Just muddle on and play the game. As Jimmy Spittle said at the last Americas Cup, "One day you are a rooster and the next day you are a feather duster". I have had days when I have done fairly well and others where I got smashed in the opening gambit. We all start off knowing buggar all and hopefully as we go through the game, we learn a bit more. Sorry folks, grin and bear it. We aren't all WOWS Gods. Just be respectful and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Carry on

17 posts

eh, some people tske their stats very seriously, the really good ones that is. theres ppl playing compettitively and those who are playing just for fun, i have no problem with people "playing for fun" but if someone wants to play at mid~high tiers then they souldnt be ruining the gaming experience for the rest of us

The thing is I do take the game seriously and I think I had a good game for my first run in the ship. I can't see how I would have ruined it for anybody, as I was always firing on somebody in range whilst avoiding shots from BB's at the same time. I wasn't going to run in and get blown up in the first few minutes just to show how big my d&$k is. If I know how my ship works, I push it to the limit every game I play. I always lay smoke, pester etc for my team mates when playing dd. If I'm playing in cruisers that I know , I will always put myself between my BB team mates and enemy destroyers, as well as constantly running around trying to attack other ships. I always prefer to brawl in my BB than sit back sniping.

The point of my post was that I was in a ship on it's maiden voyage and I probably sat back more than I normally would have, but in no way did I change the coarse of how the game went. Unless a player knows the history of how another player plays the game, they shouldn't be throwing out spineless comments with no substance. I have never bagged another player in a game and I'm always the first to acknowledge another player when they do well.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,825 posts
4,103 battles

I hate to say it but hat the just the way internet gaming is. People are emboldened by their anonymity and are happy to have a dig at people.   Don't get worried about it.  I leant many moons ago that taking a stock ship into randoms is the easiest way to cop abuse as well.   I always use coop to get a feel of it and get the upgraded modules as well as get my commander skill back on line. 

980 posts
12,617 battles

People think cause your a DD SHIP that you must CAP a zone, well not all DD's are designed for that.... Tashkents for example.  Finally just ignore the haters, it will make your life better.

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahaha

I get that all the time in my Tashkent. I make it clear at the start of every game, I write in chat "I dont want to cap in a Tashkent, there are 3 Neptunes on the enemy team'. Usually players agree and tell me stand off a cap zone and murder the enemy DDs inside, but the occasional arrogant Tier X would message back 'do your job, noob' or 'NOOB DD', 'if you aren't going to cap then don't play dd NOOB' or '<content removed> go back to co-op where you belong'. 

One time a Montana player was so salty he basically followed me (in a Tashkent) around an entire game commenting on everything I did. Missed a salvo, would get some salt from him on the chat. Failed to kill an enemy DD, would get more salt. At the end of the match, got reported 20 times by him and and his two division mates (I'm presuming), even though I finished top 3 in the team which we WON. 

Not just the Tashkent, here are a few salt-magnet ships below:

- Shchors/Pensacola: 'NOOB WHY DON'T YOU PUSH UP, ENGAGE THE FLEET OF BATTLESHIPS'

- New Orleans: 'NOOB CL. Go up to that smokescreen (containing a Scharnhorst, Fiji, Yugumo and 2x Akizuki) by yourself and use radar to spot for us.'

- Any CV in strike configuration: 'NOOB CV SEND ME SOME FIGHTERS' (after making it clear at the start of the game that I am STRIKE airwing)

- North Carolina, 1vs1 against Yamato (near the end of a battle): 'NOOB NC, USE YOUR AFT GUNS)

- Bogue: 'NOOB CV SINK THE TWO ATLANTAS BEHIND THE ISLAND' 

FUNNIEST STORY: I set a smokescreen in my Fiji yesterday, there was destroyer spotting for me. He wasn't under fire due to concealment, but get this - he comes BACK and HIDES IN MY SMOKE SCREEN. Then tells me to go out of the smokescreen to spot for him. WUT??????????????????????????????

Potatoes should not be allowed to use chat. 

Update: I just unlocked my Ranger, going to grind it now. Will screenshot any salt that gets sprinkled on me (sure there will be) and share haha. 

Insults/Derogatory comments. Post Edited. User Sanctioned.

~ADM_dude

Edited by ADM_dude

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahaha

I get that all the time in my Tashkent. I make it clear at the start of every game, I write in chat "I dont want to cap in a Tashkent, there are 3 Neptunes on the enemy team'. Usually players agree and tell me stand off a cap zone and murder the enemy DDs inside, but the occasional arrogant Tier X would message back 'do your job, noob' or 'NOOB DD', 'if you aren't going to cap then don't play dd NOOB' or 'retard go back to co-op where you belong'. 

One time a Montana player was so salty he basically followed me (in a Tashkent) around an entire game commenting on everything I did. Missed a salvo, would get some salt from him on the chat. Failed to kill an enemy DD, would get more salt. At the end of the mate, got reported 20 times by him and and his two division mates (I'm presuming), even though I finished top 3 in the team which we WON. 

Not just the Tashkent, here are a few salt-magnet ships below:

- Shchors/Pensacola: 'NOOB WHY DON'T YOU PUSH UP, ENGAGE THE FLEET OF BATTLESHIPS'

- New Orleans: 'NOOB CL. Go up to that smokescreen (containing a Scharnhorst, Fiji, Yugumo and 2x Akizuki) by yourself and use radar to spot for us.'

- Any CV in strike configuration: 'NOOB CV SEND ME SOME FIGHTERS' (after making it clear at the start of the game that I am STRIKE airwing)

- North Carolina, 1vs1 against Yamato (near the end of a battle): 'NOOB NC, USE YOUR AFT GUNS)

- Bogue: 'NOOB CV SINK THE TWO ATLANTAS BEHIND THE ISLAND' 

Potatoes should not be allowed to use chat. 

Update: I just unlocked my Ranger, going to grind it now. Will screenshot any salt that gets sprinkled on me (sure there will be) and share haha. 

if you take strike USN CV then you deserve every bit if salt thrown at you, because you basicly are saying "screw the rest if you i want to farm" by taking strike

[AAADD]
61 posts

Hi 

I have been playing this game for around 3 months now and I'm still learning new things every time I play the game. One thing I have noticed in most battles I have played is the amount of people bagging on other players. I woke up at 5 am this morning and (still half asleep) decided to take my newly purchased Nurnberg out for its first run before I did anything else. I took it out stock standard to see what it was like and I was up against mainly tier VII and VIII ships. I was being cautious with the ship and getting the feel of how it works and switching between HE and AP etc. At the end of the battle I was the last ship left against about 6 other ships and I was quickly dispatched by a Bismarck in one shot. I noticed a message pop up from a member of my team saying I was as useless as a key flag and so on just before the game ended. I checked the game stats and I had around about the same score of 80% of the players and 76 hits on enemy ships. 

I know a lot of spineless people use this game as some sort of coping mechanism for not being good at anything else in their life, but maybe they should give players more encouragement instead of throwing out comments with no substance. I have never played a CV in this game, but I can't believe all the "noob CV player" comments I see in lower tier games. How else are players meant to learn without making mistakes.

At the end of the day you get to use your "pretend" ship over and over again and no harm is done to you or your keyboard.

That's my rant for the day

Stock Nurnberg :honoring: Very well done . You did great with her.

2,214 posts
13,673 battles

I take my stats quite seriously. Doesn't mean I need to dump on people. I prefer to offer advice and encouragement... they learn faster and we all enjoy the game more.

1,480 posts

I love this game, & I don't care about my stats (just check them out if you like, you will probably agree they are horrible)

I dont mind new players coming in & playing, ithink it's great, they make mistakes, bump into me, sometimes they even accidentally shoot me ( it happens when you use the wheel in the mouse too quickly, I know), sometimes they go wandering all over the map, or they sail straight into the enemy fleet, whatever the reason, I think it's ok, some ships I think are really tough to play, like my dumb arp ships for example, I am having a real tough time playing those, the rudders & turrets oh my RNGesus, & I think they are the best ships to set on fire.

While I accept we all make mistakes, & are new, or trying things out, etc, what makes me salty is when there are not just 1 but 3 or 4 such players sitting in cap,  not doing anything, or 1 or 2 sail away to nowhere, & you ask them for help & they do nothing. They are the ones that I think are defined as the moons, it's when they don't listen, or watch the minimap, or they just sit there or circle our base for no good reason.

I am not really talking about anything below tier 4, I'm talking about tier 5 & up, esp 7,8,9 , by the time ppl get to those tiers, they are expected to have a bit of experience under their belt, & when they don't watch the chatbox, or minimap, then that what creates the salt.

When I play my CVs, or my only DD, I am the dirt to tell my team at the start "hey. I'm noob at cv, or DD, so please don't rely on me to do miracles", & my team usually are happy that I've told them up front, & if they ask me to do things, I usually comply, because they may know something I don't.

If there were more communications between these moons, then I suspect ppl won't get so salty, & less teams would melt on the first 5 mins.

My 2 cents

Ordrazz

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

I take my stats quite seriously. Doesn't mean I need to dump on people. I prefer to offer advice and encouragement... they learn faster and we all enjoy the game more.

me too, it the ones that you offer advice to and they call you out for it that really irks me

980 posts
12,617 battles

if you take strike USN CV then you deserve every bit if salt thrown at you, because you basicly are saying "screw the rest if you i want to farm" by taking strike

Playing mixed is not an option on US CV at Ranger and above due to air group count penalty. 

Playing air superiority does not guaruntee immunity for your fleet against enemy strike especially with Japanese TBDs and DBs everywhere, not to mention horrific experience points on a personal level. 

So the question is do you want to screw the rest of the team or screw yourself (and in the process of screwing yourself, screw your team as well).  

Edited by LordTyphoon

295 posts
6,592 battles

i remember that guy in a mutsuki that said i'm a noob (and another colorful languages) because i killed him with my new mexico when he tried to ambushed me, he said that it's not my job as battleship to kill DD, ggwp

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,755 battles

Every game you will find people who aren't particularly good at the game, and do things you don't think are right. You can't change this, some people just aren't that great at the game.

I think it's important to remember that this doesn't actually make them bad people. I find in gaming in general people tend to attribute the worth of a person to how good they are at the game. I think this is very unfortunate. I have met plenty of excellent gamers who are quite horrible people, and plenty of people who are very pleasant and helpful but just awful at whatever game they are playing. If you get abusive at players who you perceive to be worse at the game than you, then I'm afraid that reflects poorly on you, and not them.

451 posts
6,946 battles

i remember that guy in a mutsuki that said i'm a noob (and another colorful languages) because i killed him with my new mexico when he tried to ambushed me, he said that it's not my job as battleship to kill DD, ggwp

but it's not his job to get killed by a battleship, so it's his fault too right? 
Edited by Kleiss

17 posts

I'm so bad at this game. Someone please encourage me :(

Your obviously one of the pretentious players I'm talking about. Nobody was asking for false encouragement...

295 posts
6,592 battles

but it's not his job to get killed by a battleship, so it's his fault too right? 

exactly, maybe he was salty because he apparently have tier 9 and also said along the lines of  "i already have tier 9 and what are you doing still in tier 6?" or something like that

i still have the screenshot, but it's potato quality :tea_cap:

http://imgur.com/a/9mhhR

345 posts
3,608 battles

Your obviously one of the pretentious players I'm talking about. Nobody was asking for false encouragement...

If you can't encourage someone who is asking encouragement then how are you supposed to encourage someone who doesn't care about what you say.

Edited by Loshirai14