Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shinedesu

Is IFHE worth for Bismarck?

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

I did a test on it during the Public Test #1, when the bonus was only +25% (and -6% fire chance):

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/21558-heap-of-ship

It's definitely better - especially against Tier 8+ Destroyers - but whether it's worth 4 points is up for debate.

Edited by Unraveler

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Is there a difference between Bismarck and FDG's secondaries? I mean beside the extra upgrade module and FDG having a different mounting for the 105mm DP guns.

128mm and 150mm german BB secondary got benefit from 1/4 HE penetration quirk of German Battleship (Bismark secondary mainly 105mm with usual 1/6 pen)

so with IFHE the penetration of 128 and 150 were around 40mm-41mm

so with IFHE, those secondary will melt bow on battleship

there is video of people testing it on Gneisenau B hull - and he melt down full HP bow on iowa in less than 3 min

optimal ship for IFHE secondary would be, freedy, currywurst and Gneisenau B

Edited by humusz

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

Friedrich der Grosse doesn't have 128mm secondaries, it has the same guns as Bismarck (different mounts, though). Only Gneisenau and Kurfurst have the 128mm guns.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

IFHE allows the 105mm secondaries to penetrate 19mm armour plates, which means Tier 8+ Destroyer hulls and Battleship superstructures. It's the very same reason Akizuki players desire this skill.

Edited by Unraveler

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,803 battles

IFHE allows the 105mm secondaries to penetrate 19mm armour plates, which means Tier 8+ Destroyer hulls and Battleship superstructures. It's the very same reason Akizuki players desire this skill.

No. German BB Secondaries (same as their Primaries) have 1/4 instead of 1/6 as their pen.

105mm along with 128mm German BB secondaries can pen 32mm with IFHE.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

1) Due to their main caliber guns having penetration calculations as Caliber/4, this allows you to get some really wacky values like 99.75mm (100mm rounded) of HEAP/IFHE penetration on a tier 3 Konig Albert or 91.97mm (92mm rounded) HE penetration on a Scharnhorst (which allows for HE penetrations on a fair number of tier 5-7 cruisers)*

*This is more of a "for giggles" benefit than actual use though, because the real strength lies in their secondaries...

2) Interestingly enough German BBs also get caliber/4 for HE penetration rule on their 128mm and 150mm secondary guns (no, their CLs and DDs don't get this benefit. Neither do the 105mm secondaries of the Scharnhorst and Bismarck which retain caliber/6 normality)

This pans out to 32mm listed HE penetration for 128mm, and 37.5mm listed HE penetration for 150mm. With HEAP/IFHE that boosts up to 41.6mm and 48.75mm, respectively.

What this means is that the 128mm peashooters on the Gneisenau and Curryfurst now begin damaging high tier battleship bow armor, which greatly increases their DPS by being able to bring a large chunk of its secondary output out of 0-damage shatter territory and into 33%-damage territory. Basically, if you're a Yamato and you try to bow-on tank a German BB... have fun dying from a thousand cuts of death.

This also notably screws USN BBs further as their 38mm deck also stops protecting them from German 128mm/150mm secondary gun HE hits.

sauce ": http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/112361-dealing-damage-heapifhe-edition-he-mechanics/

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

No. German BB Secondaries (same as their Primaries) have 1/4 instead of 1/6 as their pen.

105mm along with 128mm German BB secondaries can pen 32mm with IFHE.

You've been misinformed. Only the 128mm and 150mm secondaries get the "1/4" penetration. The 105mm have the normal 1/6 (17.5mm).

Check out the tests I did versus the USN Benson I linked above.

Edited by Unraveler

Beta Tester
14 posts
8,567 battles

Seems so complex.
I'm at bayern now.

Its too late to get the bismarck for testing by myself before redistribution cost will be expired.

So the conclusion is..

-Its good for Gneisenau and Großer Kurfürst.

But Gneisenau isn't good at secondary build.

-Its good for Bismarck and Friedrich der Große 

But it isn't really worth the 4 point with the sacrifice of fire chance. 

Is this right?

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,460 battles

Pretty much. Gneisenau only really needs the penetration boost for extra damage on Tier 8+ Battleships - for everything else it's good enough without IFHE. Also, IFHE really hurts Gneisenau's low fire chance.

For Bismarck and FDG, IFHE will provide a significant damage boost against Tier 8+ Destroyers and a mild boost against Tier 8+ Battleships in raw HE damage. The fire chance is already high, too, so IFHE doesn't have a huge impact on that.

Personally, though, I'm still not sure it's worth getting over something like Manual AA or Fire Prevention.

Edited by Unraveler

14 posts

The German Battleships gets the caliber/4 pen rule for their 12.8cm secondaries...which the Bismarck and FDG lacks. Smaller than 12.8cm works on the normal caliber/6 pen rule.

IFHE works if you are using Gniesenau or Kurfurst and not so much on Bismarck and FDG...and Bayern (its 15cm secondaries fire AP, as I've learned the hard way).

Sign in to follow this