You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Now it's clear why she's called the Lolorado!

18 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,374 battles

Yeah... finding this ship full of unfunny jokes at the moment. What's worse is I've only recently finished upgrading it, so there is a long way to go before unlocking the NC.

The Armour, well I receive shots to the citadel when within 5-8km of an enemy BB, and shots to the citadel at 20km from any BB T8 & above. Again this I can live with knowing a little bit about armour & shell velocity etc. 

What I don't like is not being able to do the same to them. I've played around 25 games in this tub now, and I'm yet to citadel a BB. Not at 20km. Not at 3km. That includes T5 up to T9. Those guns cannot punch their way through paper. Most of the time they will bounce or do minimal damage- regardless of where you aim. 

Thankfully this doesn't happen very often because nearly all the shots you fire from long or short range will land in front of or behind your target. I'm starting to think the Mikasa has a tighter dispersion than these pea shooters. 

Fired a full broadside at a side on Atlanta from 8.5km away. 8 shots. 6 misses. 2 bounces. Lolorado!! 

I had to laugh.. until the same thing happened on the next salvo. He eventually escaped. During that game I fired 4 full salvos at him and took him for 4k damage. 

Please tell me the NC isn't this bad? 

199 posts
6,037 battles

Welp, this is my opinion on NC.

NC have a... unique shell trajectory, especially the AP shells. The shells trajectory is high, and the speed is slow (700 m/s, iirc). Her dispersion is kinda bad (for me). So yeah... NC might not be as good as you think. Don't get too hyped, like me, or you will regret it.

On the good side, NC's AA is good. Your concealment is very good (For BB), with the right skill and equipment, your detection can be dropped to 11.7 KM. 

If you managed to make NC work, she's a very good ship. If you failed to make her work, prepare to get punished.

Edited by Delta_Sierra

268 posts
6,381 battles

Part of the joy of the Colorado is firing a full salvo at a broadside tier 5 cruiser 8kms away and deleting him.

Instead the following happens:

Only 3 of your 8 shells hit.

They all over pen.

Net result 3k damage.

Repeat above steps for the next salvo

2,221 posts
13,710 battles

I loved the accuracy on the Colorado. One thing I think you will find with RNG is that if your aim is good then RNG will favor you. I realize that may sound like I'm saying that if RNG favors you with a tight spread you will hit, but I think there is something else going on. Basically I fire the guns and can tell if my aim is good by the spread. If it is a tight spread then I know my aim was good. When the spread is wide I know my aim is bad. This can be seen in that the center of the spread will not be on target.

Edited by keskparane

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Please notice the difference between accuracy and precision.

Lolorado was never accurate , but it has extremely tight shell grouping and muzzle velocity meaning shots go into the general vincinity of where you aim making it easier to use.

NC on the otherhand , has lower muzzle velocity and high dispersion so the shell arc down like a mortar , the gun will punch enemy ship from higher angle . Therefore try aiming slightly lower or higher ( practice with us dd who has the same arc shooting style)  so the arc work in your favor and allow you to somewhat predict shell placement. This will allow you to place shell straight down to enemy deck and get delicious pen damage or punish CA hiding behind obstacles pestering you

NC , Iowa , Montana all have very different ballistic compare to Lolorado. Iowa cures NC low velocity but the floaty gun arc remains. Dont worry , the gun takes more leading and seemingly more misses but if you go for normal pen instead the gun is devastating against other BB. ( Cit is nice but dont go for it if not clear near 90 degree broadside , hunt normal pen and watch enemy bb running away from you )

980 posts
12,617 battles

NC dispersion is worse. 

But at 8km, you should be landing all of your shells. The dispersion, as bad as it can be, should not cause 2 of 8 shells only to land at all. 

You also should not be taking citadels from any battleships if you are angling properly. The Colorado is a mighty tough ship.

156 posts
3,374 battles

But at 8km, you should be landing all of your shells. The dispersion, as bad as it can be, should not cause 2 of 8 shells only to land at all. 

You also should not be taking citadels from any battleships if you are angling properly. The Colorado is a mighty tough ship.

Yeah, it does. half in front, half behind. You know as soon as you shoot by the direction of the shells where they're going to land. 

You inevitably take citadels when in close against BB's on either side of you. Admittedly it is not a frequent occurrence.

Guess we'll find out what the NC is like whenever it is I get there...

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Yeah, it does. half in front, half behind. You know as soon as you shoot by the direction of the shells where they're going to land. 

You inevitably take citadels when in close against BB's on either side of you. Admittedly it is not a frequent occurrence.

Guess we'll find out what the NC is like whenever it is I get there...

the ship itself is fine, she is my favorite ship at T7 by a large margin, even higer then my blys and belfast, the "OP prem ships", if you arnt landibg citadels theb you are doing something very wrong, j get at least 3 citadels in a normal match in the colorado, she is a wonderful shio and the ONLY T7 i bothered getting back after i got to high tiers

183 posts
3,790 battles

She's not bad, she's great to be honest. If she had higher speeds, I would take her over NC any day. Sadly her speed makes her extremely frustrating when making the wrong decision on which flank to take. Go the wrong side, and enemy will kill you before you can hide from islands.

75 posts
4,782 battles

This is just my opinion on the matter, but Colorado for me was more of a ship that's good in hindsight. That is, I didn't particularly like Colorado when I first got it and during my NoCal grind, but a while into my North Carolina for the Iowa grind, I decided to try buying Colorado again for the heck of it and found that she's a much better ship than I initially gave her credit for. It's all a matter of not playing like a New Mexico like what I (and I assume other players new to Colorado) used to do. The key is to not be afraid to get close, but also to know when to not get close or, worse case scenario, when to bumrush and farm as much damage as possible because there's no way you're escaping.

Unfortunately there's not much to do about the lolbounces. Current overmatch mechanics favor gun caliber over shell propertires and in that regard Colorado and the other USN 16-inch ships have the smallest (USN: 406mm, IJN: 410mm, KM: 420 at Tier 9 Top and 10 but only gets 15-inch until then).

As for North Carolina, well, she's an entirely different playstyle all together that you'll also have to get used to. I'd compare her to Arty in WoT in a sense that her shell arcs are very high, no all that fast, and tend to hit in a circle around the target, but getting rounds to hit will hurt. A lot. Seriously. I witnessed and once citadeled a YAMATO with NoCal. On the plus side she's got the concealment potential of a cruiser and for a BB like her that gives one hell of an advantage. Another thing that's nice about NoCal is that while she's primarily a bow-on fighter, she can still brawl if the situation forces you to do so, unlike Iowa, whose citadel is more exposed at flatter angles and must avoid those types of encounters (not that you can't do it, but it'll be more painful to do so than in the previous ships).

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

NC were great

The gun have slow speed and high arc, so you need to get close to make full use of it

Either you love the gun or hate it

it have very tight dispersion,  and arching heavy shell have high penetration - since sometimes it hit upper armor instead of thicker belt

the handling of the gun feel the same to Yamato and warspite

in the hand of people that adept in her, she easily the most dangerous bb at t8 (IMO)

156 posts
3,374 battles

the ship itself is fine, she is my favorite ship at T7 by a large margin, even higer then my blys and belfast, the "OP prem ships", if you arnt landibg citadels theb you are doing something very wrong, j get at least 3 citadels in a normal match in the colorado, she is a wonderful shio and the ONLY T7 i bothered getting back after i got to high tiers

I'm glad this ship works for some people. Guess it just doesn't do it for me. It appears that my odd tiered US BB's give me a harder time than the even tiered ones. I struggled with the Sth Carolina, New York & now the Lolorado, whereas the Wyoming &  New Mexico were really enjoyable.

I can land citadels on cruisers no worries, it's just punching through those side on close range BB's.

Come to think of it, I've never manage to citadel a BB in the Warspite either. But the difference there is while she won't citadel, she will continually do good solid damage to compensate. Something the Lolorado won't do.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

I'm glad this ship works for some people. Guess it just doesn't do it for me. It appears that my odd tiered US BB's give me a harder time than the even tiered ones. I struggled with the Sth Carolina, New York & now the Lolorado, whereas the Wyoming &  New Mexico were really enjoyable.

I can land citadels on cruisers no worries, it's just punching through those side on close range BB's.

Come to think of it, I've never manage to citadel a BB in the Warspite either. But the difference there is while she won't citadel, she will continually do good solid damage to compensate. Something the Lolorado won't do.

where are you aiming on BB? nagatos, fuso and kongo/NY are all easy citadel farms