Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
stratmania

CV Fighter Buff Might Have Been Overdone

10 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

So, with the release of this patch, 2 buffs to fighter ammunition count have arrived:

1. Dogfighting expert gives +10% fighter ammunition and is a T1 skill.

2. Air Groups Mod.2 gives +50% fighter ammunition in addition to the previous +20% fighter HP.

Any CV at T5+ that is not USN strike is likely to take both of these, and it will result in a net addition of +65% ammo count (its applied multiplicatively). 

This means that USN carriers with formerly bountiful ammunition count (Bogue, Independence, Ranger) now simply have silly amounts of ammunition. For example, Bogue now has 182 ammo (3 minutes of clicking) and gets 6.6 strafes, while Ranger gets 119 ammo (almost 2 minutes of clicking and more than Bogue prepatch) and gets about 5 strafes.

Now, I like this buff for higher tiers (T9-T10 specifically), because it lets fighter combat be more than just "click this fighter, run out of ammo, repeat until you lose all fighters or all enemy fighters dead" which is frankly very stale. (even with the ammo buff, Essex gets 89 ammo which is still a lot). This also buffs Japanese fighters which traditionally run dry VERY quickly.

However, this buff (at lower tiers) encourages clicking, which is VERY skilless. It also makes strike USN from T5-T8 extremely hard to play when faced against USN fighters as they will only have to reload once or twice before you get deplaned. 

I then asked Sub_Octavian in his Q&A as to why the fighter ammunition has been buffed in such a heavyhanded manner, and his response was that it was meant as a USN CV buff, especially for lower skilled players.

Now, I am all for making the game accessible for new players, but considering the ammo count of USN fighters before the patch (which was already plentiful), I cannot help but be VERY tempted to say that if you screw up so much in a USN AS CV that you fail to stop strikes from enemy strike loadouts, then you deserve whatever happens to your team. 

Thoughts on this fighter buff? I find it extremely frustrating that the USN AS setup is now buffed to the degree that skilless tactics are encouraged (mind you, you will deplane carriers easily if you run those properly now).

TL;DR: The fighter ammo buff for USN at lower tiers is way overdone. Higher tiers and IJN fighter buffs are welcome as they ran dry a lot.

Edited by stratmania

381 posts
9,957 battles

This ammo buff is stupid and they didn't even mention about it in the PT patch notes until I asked Sub_Octavian on reddit about these hidden changes - then they proceed to bring it to live directly. Even a 30% direct buff is significant enough to earn an individual 3m slot or 4pts worth of skill for itself, let alone integrate it into a 500k module. Meanwhile the 3m speed boost module, which promotes some skillful gameplay and is in desperate need of a buff to be more viable, does not receive anything. They should have further buffed Flight Control Mod.1 to -25% servicing time and FCM2 to +15% speed instead.  

But well, only a minor part of the community play CV past t5, and even fewer have enough knowledge to know what should be done. Our voice will never be loud enough to affect WG.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,028 battles

This ammo buff is stupid and they didn't even mention about it in the PT patch notes until I asked Sub_Octavian on reddit about these hidden changes - then they proceed to bring it to live directly. Even a 30% direct buff is significant enough to earn an individual 3m slot or 4pts worth of skill for itself, let alone integrate it into a 500k module. Meanwhile the 3m speed boost module, which promotes some skillful gameplay and is in desperate need of a buff to be more viable, does not receive anything. They should have further buffed Flight Control Mod.1 to -25% servicing time and FCM2 to +15% speed instead.  

But well, only a minor part of the community play CV past t5, and even fewer have enough knowledge to know what should be done. Our voice will never be loud enough to affect WG.

When I saw the fighter buff my first thought was "why didn't they just make it a slot 3 upgrade or add it to one of the slot 3 upgrades?"

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,889 battles

I somewhat think of this as a nerf, crazy I know but if you have more ammo it means you won't go back often, if you go back you waste your extra ammo, but if you don't go back you will have non full squadron dealing with all those bombers and shit. It is ultimately a decision making game like usual but 4 USN buffed ammo fighters in a squadron is not as scary as full USN old ammo fighters.

Also this makes ERG valuable 

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,474 battles

Buff USN AS loadout huh ? What are you talking about , Octavian and the devs got it backwards

The FT ammo buff is most significant and dangerously make IJN AS loadout far far more superior. IJN FT low endurance is cured completely and their usual 3 FTs will make short work of US FT simply because they have that extra squad to strafe and lock. Not to mention US AS loadout deal crap damage while IJN one still do some damage to boot.

The ammo buff is dumb because it removes the skill floor without raising the skill ceiling. Right click was never hard , strafing did.

US need fewer reload ? true , but you still wont be able to agressively chase planes if they retreat back to their ship line and at high tier ship AA are deadly.

What you get is that FT hanging dilly dally doing nothing for a long time until the enemy decide to do something. You cant do proper AS mission because well , ship moves.

AS gameplay right now is static , not dynamic.

US need fewer reload ? So does IJN FT who can crap on them with lock and strafe method

Beta Tester
20 posts
8,564 battles

- too long -

1. wg never tries to rebalance t4/5 cv(so called #sealclubbingneverstop)

So don't try to talk about the already broken stuff, bogue op thread inc.

2. new skill to counter the heavyclicking mechanics.

3. inb4 high tier usn as cv CAN'T stop ALL strikes from a strike loadout, and now still impossible maybe.

4. We all know playing as loadouts are potatos like me

5. punishing someone using reload module easier since FT is useless, and less useless now

9999. This patch is buffing usn cv for real

Is that simple enough?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why no CV thread on this forum as no one will actually answer anything :)

Edited by saki6200

1,105 posts

as IJN CV boss, I REALLY LOVE DIS BUFF!!

MOAR STRAFE MOAR STRAFE

now i dont fear i run out of ammo when strafing USN fighter, the biggest problem from IJN fighter is running out of ammo and then die.....

its also make it easier to LOLOLOLOL the incoming bomber. at least its also nerf to ALL CV because its harder to sunk ship with a lot of strafe. PLUS now CA have double fighter to slower down enemy plane, more easy to strafe.

dis buff is encouraging CV to strafe instead of silly right click only.

Sign in to follow this