Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ryzil

U.K. Inconstant Smokes

9 comments in this topic

216 posts
2,239 battles

So here's a quick question, has WG mention anything about fixing the UK's CA smoke? every other ship in the game will produce it's set amount of puffs every time, except the UK CAs. Or is this meant to be a feature of the British line...

345 posts
3,668 battles

Pop smoke only when your speed is around 15-16 knts and make sure you're slowing down/stopping. I think it's a feature to limit the UK CLs from being so agressive then just disappear in smoke. 

Edited by Loshirai14

679 posts
3,522 battles

Hi Ryzil, Yep well known bug.  Russia says its our poor play not their poor design. Flamu has a great ep on the problem with examples and how to overcome.

415 posts
10,918 battles

I have no problems with the UK CL smoke ... it just requires a little more skill to use than other nations...  hit full reverse and wait until you are doing 17-18kts to deploy it (17.7kts seems optimal for Leander, Fiji and Edinborough  ... 2 puffs every time and you stop just inside it

[AUSNZ]
33 posts
10,026 battles

It's not just the RN line.  Smoked in the Kab and had 5 secs left of the smoke deploying but no smoke.  End result ended up 2 boat lengths away from the smoke boundary.  Happened to a mate in the gearing as well. :-/  Very frustrating

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Ships don't have a set amount of puffs, they have a set amount of emission time. The number of puffs is limited only by how close together they can spawn (there's a minimum distance between the previous puff and the next puff) and how fast the ship can travel between them to be able to be in position to lay the next puff. Furthermore, the location of the spawn is determined by the speed of the ship; puffs spawn on top of the ship if it is travelling less than 12.5 kt, it spawns behind the ship if travelling over 12.5 kt.

If a UKCL with 7 second smoke emission time can travel at 100 kts, it would be able to lay a lot more than 2 puffs.

I've described in detail why this is not a bug in this post and this post.

216 posts
2,239 battles

Ships don't have a set amount of puffs, they have a set amount of emission time. The number of puffs is limited only by how close together they can spawn (there's a minimum distance between the previous puff and the next puff) and how fast the ship can travel between them to be able to be in position to lay the next puff. Furthermore, the location of the spawn is determined by the speed of the ship; puffs spawn on top of the ship if it is travelling less than 12.5 kt, it spawns behind the ship if travelling over 12.5 kt.

If a UKCL with 7 second smoke emission time can travel at 100 kts, it would be able to lay a lot more than 2 puffs.

I've described in detail why this is not a bug in this post and this post.

Would the 20% smoke size skill mess up these measurements?

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Would the 20% smoke size skill mess up these measurements?

Yes. It changes the dynamics. The minimum spawn distance changes, but the minimum speed for on top/behind ship spawn remains. From testing, it's practically impossible for UKCLs with smoke skill to get 2 large puffs and stay in it because of the distance it needs to cover and slow down at the same time, but it's a lot easier to just slow down and generate one large puff to stay inside it. The large puff covers more area than 2 overlapping regular puffs (roughly the same length as two regular puffs, 20% more width).

38 posts
2,897 battles

I had great difficulty with UKCL smoke at first too. After some research (there is a great discussion about this topic over at reddit - Flamu rant video) I found out that between 15-21knots (when slowing down) is the sweet spot to pop your smoke. Guaranteed to give you two puffs every single time. 

Sign in to follow this