Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Dual Catapult Fighters

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

This skill is great for spotting shadowing Destroyers and incoming torpedoes. But how is it for air defense? Surely having two fighters to interfere with strike squadrons is better than one?

Well, no. During some controlled tests in the Training Room the two fighters were quite unable to intercept incoming bot strike planes. This wasn't due to the launch delay (which is actually very short on Bismarck), but the -20% speed debuff that comes with this skill. The fighters would set an intercept course only once the strike planes were quite close (around 3.5 km) and were too slow to make contact before the enemy planes delivered their payload, leaving the torpedo or bomb spread un-disrupted. To make matters worse, they would continue to engage that squadron as it retreated instead of switching to new, incoming threats. It was also disappointing to note that both planes always targeted the same squadron, together.

Of about 30 strikes from the same-tier planes, only once did the fighters manage to engage before the drop. The test was then repeated without the Dual Catapult skill and the lone fighter was quite zippy in its interceptions, consistently reaching the target squadron before it could make its drop.

So for spotting purposes this is still a great skill. If you're more interested in the air defense benefit, however, you're better off without this skill.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Came to the same conclusion during testing. I figure the lone fighter takes too long to intercept anyway, I rather not have 2 fighters that are even worse at intercepting the bombers.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

I accidentally took that skill on my captain before i realized its not useful..... interestingly, i realized its not useful even before using it because of the speed slow down which i did not initially comprehend.

1,489 posts

Really, what is the point in having it, if the fighters are way too slow??

I was looking at it too, but saw th fighter speed, tried it out, &  my fighters got massacred ad if they were standing still

& who wants 2 spotter planes?

I'll be taking this skill off

Ordrazz

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

There is another issue with fighter planes after the nerf on their duration for BBs. Because they don't last very long now, you have to time it right to launch your planes so that they'll be up in the air in the desired sector, because catapult planes will always launch on one side of the ship. If you launch your plane too early, it will be returning to your ship before the bombers even decide to commit the strike. If you launch too late, and the bombers are coming from the opposite direction, your plane will have difficulty intercepting the bombers in time, especially if it's got the speed penalty if you used the double aircraft skill.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

My issue with this is their flight path, they have to go to the opposite direction which opening up a hole instead of at the same direction 

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

I removed all DCCA skill from the cruiser, even my mogami FT cant intercept Ryujo bombers and distract the bomb spread. PT is better T1 skill then.

Yeah, PT is a DD and CA skill and there is barely any option on the first row. Double plane is mostly to scan the surrounding, not really for intercepting enemy CV squads. But most of the time I played, they were successful.

683 posts
7,347 battles

After reading this, I think I will remove double fighter skill as well.. there are other better tier 1 skill to take anyway as the double fighter failed to serve the purpose of air defence. Spotting torps? Well, on BB spawn them at wrong time, either they return too early, or launch too late then one side will be in protected for quite some time due to the speed reduction... :( man, gotta reset my ship captain skill... how long will the discount for distribution of captain skill last???

Edit: checked back, it's until 30/1/17..

Edited by Darkworld_2015

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

Yeah, PT is a DD and CA skill and there is barely any option on the first row. Double plane is mostly to scan the surrounding, not really for intercepting enemy CV squads. But most of the time I played, they were successful.

Those Catapult Fighters didnt fight with others planes in range when we set target, they fly around and engage when planes get in their course

100% stupid float plane dont defend their own ship

Edited by MatterCore

Sign in to follow this