You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DeadArashi

IJN Destroyers: Gunboats

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
68 posts
707 battles

Now, I'm only just going down the Japanese destroyer line and I'm not amazing at destroyers. I currently have the tier 5 Mutsuki and I understand this is classed as the "torpedo boat" but I want to go down the "gunboat" line. So really I have 2 questions:

Which is better between the torpedo boats or the gunboats?

From what I can tell the guns on the gunboats seem mediocre until you hit tier 8 (which is my incentive for wanting to go down the gunboat line). This confuses me as I fail to see much benefit in playing the the gunboats if their guns are only marginally better up the whole line while the torpedoes on the torpedo boats are basically the same but with better reload and range.

Is there going to be a tier 9 and 10 gunboat?

The other thing that confuses me is that the gunboat line just stops at the tier 8, Akizuki. I was under the impression that it would merge back in at the tier 9 Kugumo before going to the Shimakaze at tier 10 but this isn't the case. So I was wondering if there was any news about possible tier 9 and 10 IJN Destroyer gunboats in the future

Sorry if this has all been discussed previously, I've been out of the game for a while

634 posts
6,217 battles

If u are going to be playing IJN DDs, go the gunboat line, the TB line is horridly underpowered in every respect. Even the new captain skills made it worse.

WG havn't said anything of a tier 9 or a tier 10. But it is entirely possible, tier 9 for super akizuki class and tier 10 for an IJN DD with 12.7 guns( Not the common 127 found in other DDs, there is an DP 127mm being developed at the end of the war as according to norman friedman in his book Naval Anti-Aircraft Guns and Gunnery. 

Edited by TorpedoBeat

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

The lines aren't Torpedo Boat and Gun Boat - they're both variations of Torpedo Boat, and the individual exception of Akizuki. I don't know if it's been confirmed by the Devs or not, but it's been strongly rumoured that the new branch will eventually be extended to include a Tier 9 and 10.

295 posts
6,598 battles

torpedo boat doesn't have bright future like they used to, IJN torpedo is just shadow of former self, with current meta gunboat is much better, except maybe yugumo, and not because yugumo have great torpedo but the opposite, the guns are great

for now there are no news about upcoming IJN DD, maybe because looking material for gunboat in IJN is quite hard, but no doubt there will be another tier 9 - 10 in the future but i don't know when

Edited by Teostra

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

The lines aren't Torpedo Boat and Gun Boat - they're both variations of Torpedo Boat, and the individual exception of Akizuki. I don't know if it's been confirmed by the Devs or not, but it's been strongly rumoured that the new branch will eventually be extended to include a Tier 9 and 10.

I'd personally throw Yuugumo onto the exception as well

But yeah t9 and 10 would come eventually, one of them gotta be Akizuki kai, the other, well dunno

381 posts
9,957 battles

Today I bought and played Hatsu for 8 matches... And now it has been sold...

If you know what I mean....

I have no idea how I even managed to have 32k avg damage in Hatsu (higher than my Mahan lol). That garbage is a nightmare to play.