You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BottleneckedGaming

Sims is totally underpowered

83 comments in this topic

1,322 posts
11,850 battles

Probably more that enough posts about shimakaze in a thread about Sims.

Back on topic.

~dead_man_walking

So DMW what do you think... Sims is Balanced or Underpowered??

Beta Tester
2,373 posts
7,238 battles

Sims is probably the most enjoyable DD to play.

she's fastest USN on higher tier (which other USN DD are clearly lacking)

smallest turning circle allows her to maneuver on thigh areas other dd cant.

fast firing guns

decent AA for a DD. she has no problem shooting down planesof t7 and bellow CV.

fast reloading torpedo to do flooding damage or area denial.

fastest turret traverse on tier.

decent HP pool

fast rudder shift time

Her only weakness i can see is her lower concealment despite her being really small DD. (i believe she has same concealment as the Duck Akizuki) probably to balance it out so other DD have enough warning to get get close to her deadly range.

lowest torpedo speed and damage for tier 7 dd. but it allows some really weird senario. like when i fired on this slow moving BB but she stop. i though i will miss but after couple of sec she speed up and slam into my torps. same game when i fired against usn dd on the b cap. then this fubuki pass the b cap. couple of second later she did a 180 turn and return to cap point just to get hit by my torps. :teethhappy:

[POI]
Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Her only weakness i can see is her lower concealment

You forget SIms Torpedoes !!! is slooooooooooooowwwwwwww 49knt ggez and only deal 4k dmg !!! just 4k !!! 

I got 6 hits on an Atlanta !!! 6 !!!! it still have 30% HP left....

Beta Tester
2,373 posts
7,238 battles

You forget SIms Torpedoes !!! is slooooooooooooowwwwwwww 49knt ggez and only deal 4k dmg !!! just 4k !!! 

did you even read the whole thing.

Her only weakness i can see is her lower concealment despite her being really small DD. (i believe she has same concealment as the Duck Akizuki) probably to balance it out so other DD have enough warning to get get close to her deadly range.

lowest torpedo speed and damage for tier 7 dd. but it allows some really weird senario. like when i fired on this slow moving BB but she stop. i though i will miss but after couple of sec she speed up and slam into my torps. same game when i fired against usn dd on the b cap. then this fubuki pass the b cap. couple of second later she did a 180 turn and return to cap point just to get hit by my torps. :teethhappy:

same thing happened to me. there's this damage takao got hit by 5 torps. i though its going to a devastating strike but she still floats with few thousand HP.:angry:

[SGC]
1,860 posts
7,073 battles

I know right, it is so underpowered it can actually take damage and be killed. And you can't respawn in it! And the Hydro doesn't have 8km range and the AA is no where near 3 Montanas combined, it really needs to be buffed!!! It is so unplayable right now omg :ohmy:

• Cool 1

[LYNMF]
1,083 posts
16,106 battles

this ship is stupid

turret traverse and rudder too fast makes me headache

stupid ship..dont waste your money buy it

• Cool 1

Super Tester
990 posts
4,321 battles

this ship is stupid

turret traverse and rudder too fast makes me headache

stupid ship..dont waste your money buy it

When someone said dont buy. I buy it. 

Reverse psychology :D 

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

wait... i think they are right. sims is underpowered

Source: Mouse's Quick Summary of Premium Ships

Overall Impressions

Mouse' Summary:

• A very fast ship with very good handling and lightning quick turret traverse speeds.
  • Guns reload very quickly, but are unfortunately still the USN 127mm guns.
  • Torpedoes are downright terrible, with the "water mines" being the most viable.
  • AA is interesting but not powerful in of itself except to keep the ship safe from the occasional air strike.

Seems like a whole bag of mixed impressions, doesn't it?  Now I like the Sims.  I always have.  But it's really not a great ship.  She doesn't have the hitting power needed to make her a real threat to anything out there short of enemy destroyers. You're going to hear me say that a lot.  No.  Hitting.  Power.  When push comes to shove, if an enemy Battleship tries to bully a cap, you can try sending your weak little fish her way or bombarding her with a constant hail of shells but you won't remove said battleship quickly unless you get especially lucky with your rolls on starting fires.  Even where the ship excels in a knife fight, you're not likely to come out of that unscathed and probably no better than a Blyskawica, Kiev or Mahan would. 

So why are we seeing her lauded for Ranked Battles?  Is she really that much better when top tier?  Well, no...

What makes the Sims a coveted vehicle for Ranked Battles is that she's good enough.  She has that sweet combination of traits that makes her downright acceptable for Ranked Battles and forgiving in an environment in which there are two roads to success.  You can try and be the most bad-[edited]momo on the team, killing everything and taking no prisoners.  And let's face it, you're going to have to bend over backwards to make the Sims conform to this role.  Or you can simply make sure you're present at every cap circle and bully a few enemy destroyers to ensure you're at the top of the team on experience earned and thus guaranteed not to lose a star if things go pear shaped.  This is where the Sims excels in Ranked Battles.  She's fast enough to flex from cap circle to cap circle.  She can take care of herself in a knife fight, being reasonably stealthy, super maneuverable and she's got the guns to maul enemies.  And if you want, you can even guarantee yourself the ability of being immune to CVs pooping on your personal party.

Be aware that just having the Sims doesn't guarantee you this top spot.  The Blyskawica can do this trick almost as well.  She's a little less stealthy and her guns aren't as ideal for a knife fight, but she can play too.  And she can torpedo from stealth.  And she can fire her guns at things at range and hit stuff.  Please don't take this as a "the Sims is awful, Blys is better!"  Just be aware that the Blyskawica is better.  The Sims isn't awful, but she's not a forgiving ship.  She just doesn't have the hitting power to make a short-term decisive difference.

The USS Sims is such a stereotypical example of a USN mid-tier Destroyer. She excels at picking on other destroyers, providing vision and harassing opponents.  She lives a glamorous, high-risk, high reward life with lots of speed and explosions (usually happening on your decks as you get shot by HE rounds), but it's not an easy life.  It's a shame that her only real quirk is her high speed and agility.  And she doesn't feel really fast or really maneuverable, honestly.  In fact, without knowing the exact values, it might be hard to pinpoint where she stood in the standing among all of her peers.  The difference of 50m between her and the next ship in line is quite hard to spot (I am, of course, ignoring the Gremyashchy with this statement). 

That may be the meat of the matter right there.  The Sims is fun and all if you enjoy US Destroyers.  But she's not a special US Destroyer by any means.  She's a slightly better version of the Farragut and a slightly sneakier Mahan.  This certainly has a place as making her special, but it's not sparkly special. 

Would I Recommend?
It's really hard for me to recommend the USS Sims. Sure, she's a mid to high tier USN Destroyer, but I wouldn't say she's a must-have vessel. Her real selling point is that speed and agility. That's why you would buy the Sims, in my opinion. But as we've discussed, her speed, while good, isn't the best.  Nor is it likely to win you games by itself.

• For Random Battle Grinding, no. The USS Sims really can't compete well with higher tiered vessels at all. It loses out on stealth, firepower and torpedo armament. She can do just fine as a top tier ship or bullying lower tiered vessels, but you'll struggle to collect impressive damage totals short of winning duels with other same tier or lower tiered destroyers. This will hurt your experience gains and credit earning. You can forget about supplementing it as an AA picket ship -- she doesn't put out enough firepower to seriously damage air squadrons on her own, though she can provide some disruption for a beleaguered larger vessel. But again, without a lot of air kills, you're not going to see a healthy return per match.

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

In the end it all comes down to the players themselves.

Also, as if Mahan or any other T7 DDs can stand a chance against a Fletcher.

True. cause even a bad ship in general eyes can be OP in the hand of someone who know the trait and thecharacteristic of that ship.

[LGND]
346 posts
10,212 battles

uh... what ?
sims underpowered ?
bruh, do you have experience in mahaan or benson ?

Super Tester
990 posts
4,321 battles

My very first game in Sims. 

*note im an IJN DD player main.. 

underpowered? Overpowered?

Adapt quickly and u can excel in any ships :D

swsU3EM.jpgyucGV4H.jpgYHra0pT.jpggbu5NAr.jpg

Edited by Safiuddin97

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

And you are using a 6 point commander.. 

imagine the fun when using a 19 point commander

Super Tester
990 posts
4,321 battles

And you are using a 6 point commander.. 

imagine the fun when using a 19 point commander

i have one pic to describe that

ed1d530c3894f49cfcf43b01a30c08c74f4131a5

[REPOI]
5,319 posts
22,117 battles

snip

on NA, where the meta is "BBs, BBs everywhere" yes, sims lacks hitting power, USN DD'S high arc makes it difficult to invisifire at speedy BBs who can wasd, but here in asia the meta is CA/DD spam, and the sims have no problem gubning these targets down

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

on NA, where the meta is "BBs, BBs everywhere" yes, sims lacks hitting power, USN DD'S high arc makes it difficult to invisifire at speedy BBs who can wasd, but here in asia the meta is CA/DD spam, and the sims have no problem gubning these targets down

i wish i caan play in NA... those BB seems like a good target for torps

[VOR]
Beta Tester
296 posts
13,832 battles

I gave the OP a like for entertaining people.

Whats wrong with NA players?

BBs has been and still the weakest of all class since launch.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

I gave the OP a like for entertaining people.

Whats wrong with NA players?

BBs has been and still the weakest of all class since launch.

Yeah...sure, with the ability to one-shot anyone straight back to port, they're pretty weak :teethhappy:

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

okay.. let see on the next rank battle, we will using tier 7 right? let see how many player use Sims....

[POI]
520 posts
11,159 battles

I think Sims is a GREAT ship as well as other US DDS.... (Im a Fan Boy) !  Only down side for me getting it is that i already have the Polish "Sausage" Bylaskawika.  I also have Farragut to Gearing... so as much as i want to collect sims..... i guess I can work with the polish in ranked as i did before.

By the way.... OP is lucky for just getting the sims in a Container:P
NOTE:  if WG is coming up with a US Premium FLETCHER...........  im getting it:P

Edited by kultabashi

[POI]
520 posts
11,159 battles

This is so you can start using the Sims 4 Pew Pew guns to tickle the Atlanta :)

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,420 posts
11,437 battles

Yeah...sure, with the ability to one-shot anyone straight back to port, they're pretty weak :teethhappy:

I haven't got one-shot by any battleship for at least half a year until yesterday. (I was grinding low tier KM and Soviet cruisers half a year ago.)

My recent four cases of getting DS'd

1. GK got detonated by Mikhail Kutuzov's torps. (~50k)

2. Atago rammed island, DS's by Zao AP. (~30k)

3. Zao torped my GK(Full)

4. Mogami got DS's by Montana while I was checking someone's stats using my phone.(just a bit over 20k)←yesterday

And a few cases of getting DS'd by carriers and DD got torped, but they are quite normal.

Probably I'm not included in "anyone"? That's sad… Being ignored and excluded…

Edited by _Halcyon

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,420 posts
11,437 battles

NOTE:  if WG is coming up with a US Premium FLETCHER...........  im getting it:P

I think there's a DD-666 USS Black existing in the client. Never released, wearing a camouflage similar to a Flint. A ranked reward maybe?

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
510 posts
12,118 battles

Season 6 with t7 enjoy your Sims who has high EXP modifier that makes them easier to reach rank 1 and not lose stars A.K.A p2w-rear-tumor