Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bigbrownbear

Tired of Over Penetration

15 comments in this topic

20 posts
994 battles

Hello all, I hope you're well.

Title about says it all: I'm sick of over penetration. 

I haven't deleted a cruiser for about a week now because all I'm getting is over-penetration, over-penetration, over-penetration. I shot at a cruiser from 10km away, hit them in the centre of their broadside and got 4 over penetrations. I've noticed this a lot in the Tier 7 and 8 german battleships.

This is the general gist of exchanges for the past week against cruisers:

> Them: Shooting HE, 1.5k damage, 1.5k damage, 1.5k damage, 1.5k damage, 1.5k damage, 1.5k damage, fire damage, 1.5k damage, fire damage, 1.5k damage, fire damage.

> My return: Shooting AP (because german HE sucks): miss, miss, miss, over-penetration 1k damage, miss, over-penetration 1k damage, miss, miss, miss, over-penetration 1k damage, miss, penetration 4k damage, over penetration 1k damage

It's maddening. I just got out of a game where a Myoko ran aground 11km in front of me with their broadside pointed at me and were on about 8k health. I unloaded all 8 AP shots in their direction...1 penetration + 3 over-penetrations. Didn't even die. They pulled back and sailed off behind the island before I had time to reload.

It's happened so many times now, it's hair-pulling out maddening doing a few thousand damage to a cruiser every 25 seconds. 

Any advice or explanation someone can give would be welcome.

783 posts
4,819 battles

Then, what exact ship are you on?

Based on your story, I can only surmise that you're aiming too high.

German BBs are not exactly accurate, but you can get some form of consistency as long as you aim correctly. And overpens against cruisers usually happen when you hit the superstructure or less armored parts. Aiming too high will of course lead to hitting the superstructure a lot more which gives you a lot of overpens. And of course also be the reason for the misses.

T7/T8 KM BBs have a lower caliber shell than USN/IJN so citadel overpenetration is actually less common (if ever). And ultimately, it doesn't really depend as much on the ship you're on but more on the specific target or ship and their orientation.

683 posts
7,358 battles

There's a video regarding the penetration and over pen mechanism by iChase, which I think it's good.

Summary is, you might wanna try to aim just a little bit below water line of the CA you are aiming. At least chances of over pen lower, with chances of getting citadel hit.

20 posts
994 battles

At the moment I'm typically aiming for the water line, as in all the past tiers that was where to shoot to land the succulent citadels.

Edit: Oh I'm currently new to the Bismarck. I love her secondaries, it's just a shame most Tier 8+ games are long-range snipe fests hah.

Edited by Bigbrownbear

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

I'll give you classied information on how to get less over pen.

Aim at the waterline m8 :trollface:

Sure u get less overpen, because shell went short and not hitting rather than overpenning. :trollface:

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Sometimes you'll get a ship that looks like they're broadside on to you but can still be at a slight angle and when reversing they may changing the distance to your ship. It might be just enough to throw off the accuracy of your salvo giving you over pens if you just want to wait that little bit longer before firing it could help you judge the range a little better. 

268 posts
6,381 battles

I had a game in my Gneis today. Fired 15 shots in total.

5 citadels... :)

Also shout out to my teams today when I was playing my Perth. Out of all the crap players puf there, they truly were the shittiest I've ever seen.

Edited by _Sammich_

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

_Sammich_ I think that probably me floating around.

@OP, German AP is OP cause German Engineering and therefore aimming at CLs will give you pen. Try to remember what cruisers have armor and what don't and when you see armored cruisers, don't be afraid to hold out a few seconds so hes slightly angled when he tries to get all guns on target.

268 posts
6,381 battles

Nah you're cool fishy. :)

I tend to find that the Colorado is great for this. Full salvo at a broadside cruiser thinking I'll delete this guy - and nope 3x over pens.

Sign in to follow this