You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

Bayern- Glorious.

26 comments in this topic

341 posts
4,007 battles

So, feeling bored, I decided to take out my mini-Bismarck from the Christmas Convoys and try her out. And I have to say, today was the most fun day I've had on a new ship in a long time.

I played 12 battles, and won 10 of them. Wow. Even stock, this ship is fantastic. No, it hasn't displaced Fuso as my favorite, as I don't find it as versatile, but at Tier 6 it's a close second. Bayern is a pure aggressive brawler to me, and I have few problems with pushing up. She overmatches the bows of all same tier battleships, to the point that when picking fights with her own tier, it barely feels like a challenge. Even at Tier 8, I was able to beat an Amagi and a North Carolina, and bounce their shells by angling around 60 degrees to take shells on the belt instead of the bow and stern.

Bayern however doesn't feel powerful at all over 15km range and losing half your HP to two torpedoes is frustrating. But if the next ships in the line play like this too, I'd just as well consider the grind.

What do you think of Bayern?

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

So, feeling bored, I decided to take out my mini-Bismarck from the Christmas Convoys and try her out. And I have to say, today was the most fun day I've had on a new ship in a long time.

I played 12 battles, and won 10 of them. Wow. Even stock, this ship is fantastic. No, it hasn't displaced Fuso as my favorite, as I don't find it as versatile, but at Tier 6 it's a close second. Bayern is a pure aggressive brawler to me, and I have few problems with pushing up. She overmatches the bows of all same tier battleships, to the point that when picking fights with her own tier, it barely feels like a challenge. Even at Tier 8, I was able to beat an Amagi and a North Carolina, and bounce their shells by angling around 60 degrees to take shells on the belt instead of the bow and stern.

Bayern however doesn't feel powerful at all over 15km range and losing half your HP to two torpedoes is frustrating. But if the next ships in the line play like this too, I'd just as well consider the grind.

What do you think of Bayern?

it gave me easy grind on last Rank Seasons

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

IDK really.
I find Bayern to be hugely irritating because i miss ship at 5km range rather often and shells refuse to go into citadel area at point blank range. 

The combination of poor turret traverse and New York dispersion really kills any fun this ship provide for me and secondaries are not that accurate without a gud captain.
Anyone find this thing annoying ? I find that it is not as fun as Konig a tier lower
Maybe i am just bad at bb but this experience is a huge negative

563 posts
4,686 battles

Excellent target practice for NC

Bayern concealment is excellent. The best at t6(BB). You can't shoot it if you can't see it.

Fuso is a way better target practice.

Edited by Admiral_Turing

65 posts
3,468 battles

Got >70% win rate with my Bayern. Leveled up rather quickly with the 200% bonus xp in the last couple of weeks.

I think its presence is fearsome enough to drive enemies away and allies confident enough to push forward.

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,015 battles

It's a beast of a ship at its tier and beyond.

Having shells that lose slightly more velocity than its counterparts makes for interesting citadel hits on cruisers fairly far away -- less overpens. And its caliber fares well against higher tier targets provided you're given the opportunity to shoot at the right spots.

Also, shooting superstructures when presented with an angled adversary is actually something you may want to do when an enemy is adamant at keeping angled. Just train your judgement to better choose whether to wait or to shoot.

The rudder shift time isn't bad because it's fast enough to be forgiving when you're dodging torpedoes, provided you pay attention to the enemies around you.

I love it.

Edited by derekPo

381 posts
9,957 battles

I personally dislike it. 380mm guns can overmatch up to t7 BB bow armor, but I rarely have to resort to that as people at these tiers show broadside all day. Meanwhile, the loss of fire power due to 4 less guns compared to NM/Fuso, combined with the poor accuracy of t6 BB, is very visible if you have to delete a ship asap at short range. This ship can torpedo beats quite well though.

268 posts
6,381 battles

In my Arizona, I never fear Bayern, eat them most the time.:playing:

A properly played Bayern is difficult for the Arizona as he can lol pen you bow on, where you can't do the same to him.

I've experienced this having played both ships.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Bayern concealment is excellent. The best at t6(BB). You can't shoot it if you can't see it.

Fuso is a way better target practice.

You are forgetting that North Carolina have the best concealment for tier 8 BB. You can get better concealment value than Bayern by equiping concealment mod 1. Easy

1,486 posts

Think me old fashioned, but I play my Bayern unmodernised, except for camouflage, like it orininally in real life.

The only things I don't like about it are the turrets move way too slow (I think worse than my Warspite), & the accuracy... Oh & the rudder a bit too..

Other than that, yep fun fun fun

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

268 posts
6,381 battles

Wait to you get the Gneisenau.

At the expense of a turret you get:

32 knots of fun.

Better armour

Better AA

Better secondaries

Torpedoes!

563 posts
4,686 battles

You are forgetting that North Carolina have the best concealment for tier 8 BB. You can get better concealment value than Bayern by equiping concealment mod 1. Easy

No you can't.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Also, shooting superstructures when presented with an angled adversary is actually something you may want to do when an enemy is adamant at keeping angled. Just train your judgement to better choose whether to wait or to shoot.

The rudder shift time isn't bad because it's fast enough to be forgiving when you're dodging torpedoes, provided you pay attention to the enemies around you.

I love it.

Or you can shoot the hull and just front citadel them. Unless it's a t8 BB

Rudder shift is really good. Coupled with a good turning radius. And good speed, this thing moves really well

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,015 battles

Or you can shoot the hull and just front citadel them. Unless it's a t8 BB

Rudder shift is really good. Coupled with a good turning radius. And good speed, this thing moves really well

Yeah, forgot to mention that I was referring to well armored higher tiers when I mentioned the superstructures. Them guns, makes Nagatos cry haha

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,856 battles

The Bayern is quite frustrating to me as far as penetrations is concerned. The shells often shatter on any battleships it faces, even at ~10km broadsiding fusos.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

And you deal with it.

Also, anyone BUT noob campers can do well in them.

Yeah, there are surprising amount of camping Bismarck/FDG/GK these days. I guess finally they made it to the high tiers?