You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

Independence Strike Airwing - Struggle

21 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,617 battles

Hi guys, 

I've been stuck on the Independence (Tier 6 USN CV) for about 3 months now. The reason why it has been so long is because:

1. I used to play the Air Superiority configuration on the Bogue, and did that for Independence. Earned around 700-900XP per game (only thats only if I win, around 400XP if I lose, with premium account), even with the occasional Clear Skies

2. I stopped for 2 months because playing Air Superiority because it became boring and was too unrewarding, and any non-roob Ryujo player running any airwing configuration was overwhelming even my AS configuration in the battle for the skies

3. 500LB bombs suck and I was a noob at manual bomb drop (although I can manual drop OK now, still need more practice)

Since recently watching videos by Notser and Flamu on the Lexington and the power of its 1000lb bombers, I've decided to give the USN CV line a chance to get through to the Lexington (yes, I'm prepared to endure the Ranger as well) and then call it quits if its still not that fun. 

Also, instead of going AS, I've now decided to go with the Strike loadout. I didn't want to go for the multirole loadout as I want to maximise my damage per game and because going with a 1/1/1 airwing against a 3/1/1 Ryujo means I'll get bullied anyway. 

Almost every single game where I play against an enemy Ryujo, they run air superiority. They start off by spreading their 3 fighter groups across the centre of the map so there would be no border humping or any gaps through which my planes could sneak through undetected, and as the game progressed, they mark each of my strike air groups with one of their fighters. Even if they got through, my planes never make it back in one piece. All the while, the enemy strike planes pick off our front lines, and I constantly get reported for not being able to stop these. 

My last game, I lost all my aircraft before I could drop anything - I only managed 2 bomb hits on my very last bomb run. 14 reports. 

I've seen few posts here and there regarding player who average 80k - 100k damage on the Independence per game - I have no idea how they manage to consistently do I, given I struggle to get my planes through to make the drop! I only average around 40k since switching to strike airwing. 

Can you unicums please give me some tips on how I can get my planes through with strike USN CVs? I'm getting really peeved here at the frustrating Tier 6 match up. 

Cheers

Edited by LordTyphoon

124 posts

I am in similar situation as you. I stopped at Independence after trolling enemy CVs with AS loudout in Bouge and Langley.

The problem I had with Independence is that Ryujou have 5 air groups. AS can only stop Ryujou Strike's 1 DB/TB and 1 FT (have no choice in this). 3 other groups are free whatever they please. While Ryujou AS' 3 FT will lockdown all 3 of our air groups while the remaining 1 DB and 1 TB spreading their love.

It's been heard that WG intended overhaul CV's GUI first, only then re-balance CV. I also heard WG considering have all CVs at relevant tiers have same number of air groups.

I now just play Independence 1/1/1 in Co-op. Bot likes to troll too whatever loudout you choose in Co-op.

Also, it's fine to ask for AA from your teammates.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Not unicum , but very good in carrier ( warshipstoday :trollface:) , you will be hard pressed if you want to reach unicum level in a US carrier.
The trick is to dance and dance , advocate heavy AA ship to move forward to give you room to move . Indy 111 is the best setup at this tier , if you want strike w8 till you get Ranger who can wipe a Hiryu out of the water with a sneaky snipe.
Dont give priority to your torpedo squad , instead use it to lure Ryujo FT around chasing you ( best at kiting them toward allies ship and repeat till they are so tired that they ignore it ) , use your 2 DBs in the mean time to stack fire on a BB elsewhere on the map.
If the FT decide to leave your Torp squad strike the nearest target and return.
The trick here is to learn aircraft spotting distance so that you can disappear with a few move and confuse the other guy.
AS setup carrier will give you the hardest time and you really only need to wait for 1 good strike oppurtunity to outdamage him.

Playing US strike depends heavily on positioning your strike so that they only need one turn to manual torp and you do need to do it perfectly as every drop count. Manual dive drop is a must to break heavy AA ship defence.
Also learn to fake attack attempts to spread enemy FTs and bait AA def fire , hardest evasion ceiling is to bait enemy strafe to give you free reign on the air

146 posts
10,204 battles

Me too - am playing through Ranger in co-op at the moment. I really struggled in Independence, and ended up just transitioning to co-op. The low XP from AS loadout was insult to injury: now I rarely play CV more than one game a day . ..  just have it on the back burner, practice manual drops etc.  Eventually I'll unlock Lex, and then see if that is a bit more competitive . . . 

Weirdly, am finding the bot trolls less in Ranger than in Independence (have not yet seen it choose an AS loadout) - maybe because I am still on stock hull? 

Sorry I can't help you --- hopefully they will re-balance things this year. 

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Me too - am playing through Ranger in co-op at the moment. I really struggled in Independence, and ended up just transitioning to co-op. The low XP from AS loadout was insult to injury: now I rarely play CV more than one game a day . ..  just have it on the back burner, practice manual drops etc.  Eventually I'll unlock Lex, and then see if that is a bit more competitive . . . 

Weirdly, am finding the bot trolls less in Ranger than in Independence (have not yet seen it choose an AS loadout) - maybe because I am still on stock hull? 

Sorry I can't help you --- hopefully they will re-balance things this year. 

Noobs in US carrier will most likely use the FT loadout as it is very straightforward and not very demanding. Strike on the other hand require you to learn about lots of stuffs to make it work. HOWEVER , a Strike carrier will have a much more noticeable impact when it do work as FT after winning the air war can do nothing but jerking to enemy ships firing at your carrier.

In anycase , strike US carrier are very prone to cv sniping until Lexington where enemy CV wont even bother trying so stick close to the fleet. To prevent it try sniping them 1st , US strike carrier can easily wipe an opponent carrier out of the water fast. ( IJN struggles more due to their planes being paper)

381 posts
9,957 battles

How old is your data? 80-100k avg damage per game is insane with a 37 planes reserve, assuming it was from solo playing after the AA buff and t5/6 MM patch. 

My tip is to stop using 0/1/2 and use 1/1/1 instead. There is absolutely no reason to give up 1 fighter for 1 divebomber squad. Against 3/1/1, you need to land at least one successful strafe against one fighter squad of RJ (shouldn't be hard to do since 3/1/1 players are mostly potatoes, but don't do it above enemy AA), killing 2-3 planes. Now RJ will need to call at least one more fighter squad to fight against your fighter, and if you distribute your strike force smart enough to lengthen the distance between their 3 fighter squad, it will be at least 15-20s for his reinforce fighter squad to arrive (by that point you should have killed the first squad successfully and lose at most 1/6 of your squad). The situation changes to 5-6 Indy fighters vs 4 fighters of the 2nd RJ squad and you still have your advantage for a while (but very little ammo left). The potato RJ seeing he is at a number disadvantage and will call the 3rd fighter squad to focus your squad (a smart player won't use that 3rd squad and wait for you to run out of ammo, but well if he is smart he won't let you strafe easily in the first place). Then you should have 20-30s window to strike depends on RNG before your fighter squad is killed completely.

Now comes the problem: you might have passed the air test, but surface ships also move and they have AA as well. If they stick together with cruisers, you will still suffer heavy losses and have your strike effectiveness reduced dramatically. Your alternative choice is to strike RJ directly, but RJ has very low air concealment (7,9km iirc) and by the time your strike force arrives, his fighter should have already revived.

TL;DR: Use 1/1/1, and remember your strike efficiency is not affected only by your skill but also by how other ships move.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

For the Lexington, id recommend 1/1/1. Im only in this ship now myself, and i find this the best configuration.

I presume you have upgraded the hull (larger hangar) and fighters.

Strangely you can defeat the AS Ryujo if you are lucky with strafes and someone who is new to it. Against a seasoned player you will struggle as they wont chase you over AA boats and will be happy to negate you.

But the AS Ryujo does not have any real strike ability either, so to negate you, they are costing their own team.

Early on stay with your ships and TB/DB enemy DDs or weaker ships. This means know your enemy. Dont try to take on a Cleveland or any ship with DFAA early on. 

Wait till they have been hit with HE which will weaken their AA abilities.

There are many weak ships even at tier 8 with AA, so knowing what you can target or finding someone yoloing makes your job easier. 

In the end CVs can turn games, you dont have to get your hits in early, its a long game. Dont just throw your planes away and say its too hard. AA at this tier is more difficult than previous tiers, you will have to learn to adjust and play against it.

Alpha Tester
38 posts
1,048 battles

I feel your pain. Ryujo right now is just.... really good. I would recommend 1/1/1 on Indy though. Just a grossly superior loadout than 0/1/2

Really good is a small understatement, I'd say somewhat painful.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,007 battles

flatout bullshit over the Indy. It's War Gaming pro IJN attitude all over again

*Looks at USN DDs whacking IJN DDs every game*

To the OP, PLEASE never use strike Independence. That loadout is honestly the dumbest I have ever seen. Take 111 and grind past it... and then you'll land in Ranger and good luck with that hunk of junk.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

To the OP, PLEASE never use strike Independence. That loadout is honestly the dumbest I have ever seen. Take 111 and grind past it... and then you'll land in Ranger and good luck with that hunk of junk.

*looks at the entire IJN CV line and Yamato, Zao

980 posts
12,617 battles

Thanks for the replies guys!

:teethhappy:

I'll give the 1/1/1 airwing a go this evening. I must have wasted all my XP unlocking those alternative airwings...

I hope my patience will last in the Ranger. 

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Thanks for the replies guys!

:teethhappy:

I'll give the 1/1/1 airwing a go this evening. I must have wasted all my XP unlocking those alternative airwings...

I hope my patience will last in the Ranger. 

Despite her bad reputation you can still carry in Ranger if you have lots of experience with tier 4-6 USN CVs. Motto is strike fast. Strike hard and get the hell out

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,007 battles

Despite her bad reputation you can still carry in Ranger if you have lots of experience with tier 4-6 USN CVs. Motto is strike fast. Strike hard and get the hell out

Hard to strike fast when her planes are slow as hell. 

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

For the Lexington, id recommend 1/1/1. Im only in this ship now myself, and i find this the best configuration.

I do not recommend stock setup for anything other than Indy and Midway due to the simple fact that at tier 8 111 can no longer has a meaningful presence in a match and your pity 2 strike squads and 1 FT will be pitiful in both defending and attacking. IJN at tier 8+ has FT that will kill that single FT you have and still have the ammo to go after your strike though their ammo is still low.

And 111 will be the laughing stock if you are in match with many heavy aa ships which is quite common.

Go 202 or 013 for best results

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hard, as in "the enemy CV must be VERY stupid". You are better off using a Hiryu/Saipan.

I ain't promoting the uses of overpowered ships. Besides, I use Ranger as my practice ship. The more I can challenge myself. The more I improve. I find her ok, I can outplay the enemy CVs at times and win the game for my team

381 posts
9,957 battles

I ain't promoting the uses of overpowered ships. Besides, I use Ranger as my practice ship. The more I can challenge myself. The more I improve. I find her ok, I can outplay the enemy CVs at times and win the game for my team

You'll be happy to see Dogfighting Expert lowered to 1pt skill next patch :D Which means a 11pt captain on Hiryu and Ranger can fight on par or surpass Saipan :izmena:

980 posts
12,617 battles

Thanks for your feedback guys. 

As advised, I've used the 1/1/1 airing for independence for a couple of days, and the results are great - according to WoWS Numbers, I am now 'very good' at CV! 

Being able to chase away enemy fighters and fly Cap or DD spotting runs for friendly ships is great. But most of all, getting TBDs to the enemy fleet without taking losses is much easier. At least 10k damage everytime I get TBDs through. 

Is it weird that I actually find CVs pretty fun now...