You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
keskparane

Do you have much of a delay between detecting an enemy and visual?

24 comments in this topic

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

How long would you say it takes your game to go from detecting an enemy to visual? 

My process goes like this:

Detection alert.

Appears on minimap.

Interval.

Get visual that can target.

This process sometimes seems to take a few seconds. This relates to situations where I know the detection is mutual, like when smoke expires, and not range based. I am wondering if it is the same for the other person? It just feels like a very long time between being detected and being finally able to target and fire at the enemy. I get the impression that they have sometimes fired before I can even target them.

FWIW I have a fast pc system, but my ping is usually 110+ ms. But even 110ms isn't that bad, this delay is about 1-2 seconds.

1,386 posts
8,249 battles

I also have a delay between detection of enemy ship on minimap and seeing it. And I think it's normal.

My PC setup

E3-1230V2

HD7870 GHz edition

8GB dual channel memory

The storage is a HDD, but I usually can complete load before battle starts so I think it's no problem.

Ping is usually around 35-45.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

It's showed on the minimap for 3 seconds and the visual sighting lasted 1 second?? Notably the enemy DDs & some cruisers. Could not give me a chance to aim & fire.

Edited by Mingfang47

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Turrets?

Mebe they better guesstimated where to aim their turrets and or their turrets were faster? or just lucky to have their turrets pointed more directly by chance?

If your facing an oponent who knows the map very well, its likely they do know the best angles to hold their turrets?

Edited by Sy_dn_ey

Beta Tester
913 posts

Its at least 2-3secs.

I have a 108ms ping. I get the detected icon. But the ship doesnt display until 2 seconds later. Its not lag. I have a beefy i7 skylake too with an ssd.

Not sure whats causing it or if its normal.

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Turrets?

Mebe they better guesstimated where to aim their turrets and or their turrets were faster? or just lucky to have their turrets pointed more directly by chance?

If your facing an oponent who knows the map very well, its likely they do know the best angles to hold their turrets?

Turrets are not the issue I addressing here. A good example of this is an enemy behind an island, which addresses another gripe of mine. You can aim your guns at the waterline behind an island. If you fire those guns the shells will probably hit the island. However if you are locked on to an enemy but have the exact same gun elevation then the shells will clear the island. This is a major gripe of mine because shells should go where you point your gun, regardless of if you are locked on to a target.

The issue I am addressing is when they will visually appear and allow you to get a target lock (assuming they are in range). Were it not for the problem I mention in the previous paragraph I could fire and hit without a target lock.

So far the responses are indicating to me that the behavior I have described is not abnormal. I was concerned it may be due to my internet connection.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Turrets are not the issue I addressing here. A good example of this is an enemy behind an island, which addresses another gripe of mine. You can aim your guns at the waterline behind an island. If you fire those guns the shells will probably hit the island. However if you are locked on to an enemy but have the exact same gun elevation then the shells will clear the island. This is a major gripe of mine because shells should go where you point your gun, regardless of if you are locked on to a target.

The issue I am addressing is when they will visually appear and allow you to get a target lock (assuming they are in range). Were it not for the problem I mention in the previous paragraph I could fire and hit without a target lock.

So far the responses are indicating to me that the behavior I have described is not abnormal. I was concerned it may be due to my internet connection.

Oh yea, the target lock is a bit of a weird thing i noticed in the game as well.... is it just my imagination or is this also why your shots seemingly land differently to previous shots when you fire at a ship that went invisible but you did not change the gun angle?

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Yeah. :angry: Not your imagination. A potential for skill is not present. Not sure if this is intentional or not. If you are lucky enough to have another enemy in range I am told the solution is to get a lock on them and then fire where you want. However this largely defeats your potential because your guns will probably move whilst your get lock on the other ship.

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Not sure what happened. I had typed something else as well. This forum interface behaves funny sometimes.

What I also wanted to say is that this behavior can be very taxing. Even when both stationary a target can disappear for just a few seconds whilst you're clicking the mouse. Magically your shots land short. In a BB this can mean a 50% DPM nerf. It's not right. It's just not right.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Not sure what happened. I had typed something else as well. This forum interface behaves funny sometimes.

What I also wanted to say is that this behavior can be very taxing. Even when both stationary a target can disappear for just a few seconds whilst you're clicking the mouse. Magically your shots land short. In a BB this can mean a 50% DPM nerf. It's not right. It's just not right.

So it might be possible with experience to learn just how much to raise your guns when someone vanishes? Although, when i watch the elite player games on YouTube, i never see them fire at a ship that vanished, so probably not?

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

So it might be possible with experience to learn just how much to raise your guns when someone vanishes? Although, when i watch the elite player games on YouTube, i never see them fire at a ship that vanished, so probably not?

If I can't stop my finger mid click then I certainly don't have time to reposition guns, regardless of whether I could aim in the wrong place to hit the right place or not.

And I think not anyways. You simply can't fire at max range without target lock.

Edited by keskparane

683 posts
7,367 battles

Preferably not shooting at a just vanished ship, if not mistaken the "lock on" mechanism actually helps players to aim properly at a target. Once the lock on effect is gone and despite that you never move the cursor even a single pixel the shots might miss. What I actually do is when there is a landmark, example the enemy DD is just beside a land mass, and the DD is between me and the landmass, which means I got a landmark and I know I just need to aim at the same spot (if he is not moving) and just before the land mass, that usually yield a better outcome in getting the shots into target. If not, I'd rather hold fire and decide the next step to do.

BTW, back to original topic, yeah there's a delay when the ship occur in minimap and the line of sight. what I do is (battleship) I will train my guns towards that direction despite I havent seen anything (if I intend to shoot at him), So time is not wasted and have a larger shooting window.

Edited by Darkworld_2015

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Preferably not shooting at a just vanished ship

Sure, not by choice. But I said mid click. Basically in the process of firing they disappear. And it doesn't matter how good you are at prediction. If an enemy is behind an island at a reasonable range and I have target lock I can hit him. If I lose lock I simply cannot get the shells to go over the island no matter how him I aim. So the guns effectively have less range when you do not have a target lock.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Preferably not shooting at a just vanished ship, if not mistaken the "lock on" mechanism actually helps players to aim properly at a target. Once the lock on effect is gone and despite that you never move the cursor even a single pixel the shots might miss. What I actually do is when there is a landmark, example the enemy DD is just beside a land mass, and the DD is between me and the landmass, which means I got a landmark and I know I just need to aim at the same spot (if he is not moving) and just before the land mass, that usually yield a better outcome in getting the shots into target. If not, I'd rather hold fire and decide the next step to do.

BTW, back to original topic, yeah there's a delay when the ship occur in minimap and the line of sight. what I do is (battleship) I will train my guns towards that direction despite I havent seen anything (if I intend to shoot at him), So time is not wasted and have a larger shooting window.

Training guns in that direction.... yea, that was my original point. whoever has guns aimed closer at time of spotting will have the advantage.... unless the other guy has much faster turrets.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

"lock on" mechanism? Yea allot of games have this, but usually they also have an option to switch it off?

Sure, not by choice. But I said mid click. Basically in the process of firing they disappear. And it doesn't matter how good you are at prediction. If an enemy is behind an island at a reasonable range and I have target lock I can hit him. If I lose lock I simply cannot get the shells to go over the island no matter how him I aim. So the guns effectively have less range when you do not have a target lock.

Yea, the 'lock on' is giving a different firing arc. I suppose, just guessing, but ships in reality could probably do this? However, they would do it by reducing shell velocity and increase arc, but also that would *reduce* range!

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

Yea, the 'lock on' is giving a different firing arc. I suppose, just guessing, but ships in reality could probably do this? However, they would do it by reducing shell velocity and increase arc, but also that would *reduce* range!

Yes there could be multiple solutions to land at point x, but that would require a reload. Besides that the game only has 1 shell velocity per type. The projectiles are not guided, they do not know if they are supposed to hit a ship or an island, they should land within the same spread circumference so long as the crosshair is pointed in the same place.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

It is because when you are about to do something exciting or something weird it feels like time has been slowed down...(not talking about the scene where you see a girl and everything feels slower) but in excitement or with too much concentration we feel the phenomenon...

Not off topic but it is with my statement 0.5secs.. 

2,225 posts
13,741 battles

It is because when you are about to do something exciting or something weird it feels like time has been slowed down...(not talking about the scene where you see a girl and everything feels slower) but in excitement or with too much concentration we feel the phenomenon...

Not off topic but it is with my statement 0.5secs.. 

You are indeed fortunate. My system takes longer than 1 second. I didn't just guess a random range, I had timed it before I wrote the post. Yes it was a small sample size (n=3), but all the results confirmed the hypothesis. So in that case it would indicate that you have over 500ms advantage over me. Which would indicate my original impression that I was being fired upon before I could lock the target could well be correct.

Super Tester
7,582 posts
8,005 battles

It is definitely longer than 1 second and you don't see the ship until significant portion of the ship (midship?) is inside visible range. But it probably goes both ways in an 1v1 situation. However, if you are already spotted, but the enemy is not, then that 1 second can make all the difference in the world. This should be fixed.