You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lupusregina

New armaments might be missiles?

55 comments in this topic

24 posts
2,235 battles

I saw that one of the soviet dd being worked on might resemble a missile destroyer which is the The Kildin-class destroyer was a series of destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late 1950s. They were a missile armed version of the Kotlin-class destroyer, and the class was named for Kildin Island. Four ships were built around the KSShch (КСЩ, SS-N-1) anti-ship missile. When this missile became obsolete in the 1960s, three ships were modernised in 1972-1977. All ships were decommissioned in the late 1980s early 1990s

1,825 posts
8,021 battles

I saw that one of the soviet dd being worked on might resemble a missile destroyer which is the The Kildin-class destroyer was a series of destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late 1950s. They were a missile armed version of the Kotlin-class destroyer, and the class was named for Kildin Island. Four ships were built around the KSShch (КСЩ, SS-N-1) anti-ship missile. When this missile became obsolete in the 1960s, three ships were modernised in 1972-1977. All ships were decommissioned in the late 1980s early 1990s

Project 56?,Looks like we're getting halfway there....

Modernized war confirmed in WoWs 

i bet Main weapons are the guns and seconds are missiles

the rest are AA miniguns :trollface: 

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

Project 56?,Looks like we're getting halfway there....

Modernized war confirmed in WoWs 

i bet Main weapons are the guns and seconds are missiles

the rest are AA miniguns :trollface: 

Then keep eyes on dev who tires nerf or ban them all

75 posts
4,778 battles

I saw that one of the soviet dd being worked on might resemble a missile destroyer which is the The Kildin-class destroyer was a series of destroyers built for the Soviet Navy in the late 1950s. They were a missile armed version of the Kotlin-class destroyer

Actually, IIRC, the Kildin class were Project 56A while the Kotlin class were Project 56. The new DD still emphasizes guns. It might be too soon to implement missiles, considering the (I'm going on a whim here) large amount of work required to modify the game to handle that.

I will say though that if they are going to add missiles, it probably would've been more of the guided bomb mounted on carrier planes or piloted suicide missiles. You'd have the Bat for the USN carriers, IJN would've gotten the Ohka (In limited numbers along with the usual air group). It wouldn't make much sense to add missiles to a game where majority of the available ships are of the WWII and earlier build unless they plan on making a separate matchmaker for that (such that missile ships can only see ships restricted by their service date, as in past 1945 or 46. They'd at least have equipment to counter that like AA for Carrier Planes). I can understand putting post-war gunboats that still relied on guns and torpedos because attempts to balance them would've made more sense, but mixing missiles in a regular match would just be asking for trouble since only other ships of the same era (and Missouri) can effectively and fairly counter the threat with CIWS.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,384 battles

Press:

"R" for DCP

"T" for Smoke

"Y" for Radar

"U" for Missile

Our ships are equipped with quad AA guns so "I" is not used :D

55 posts
3,922 battles

Missiles in a predominately WWII game....really?

Yep, that's about as plausible as autoloaders and 1960s designs in a predominantly WW2 tank game.  Oh, wait...
Edited by GeneralGrant

295 posts
6,595 battles

Meanwhile I'm thinking of sea mines because sims torpedoes weren't enough :teethhappy:

me too, it would be cool if DD can deploy mines when they're retreating

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

You could have missiles, the early designs were big, so no reloads. Against armoured vessels its still unclear how effective a large HE only type warhead would be. And you could add an EW ability to vessels either as an upgrade or consumable or make it a special ability for one class. You could even add a jammer plane unit for CV's. I don't think its out of the question just might be not the best use of developers resources to do.

Dan

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

USS Iowa and Missouri get AGM-84 Harpoon.

But..nerfed so that they have no guidance system, so takes them 1 minute to travel to target. 

Thats a 1970's system and a 1980's implementation. A step too far.

Dan

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

Thinking about it missiles could be used in an anti CV role. For the purposes of game balance consider the DD's as too small a target for reliable acquisition, CC's have a high chance with radar controlled AA of interception and the armour of BB's significantly lessens the impact of hits. That leaves a one off opportunity strike against enemy CV's. It could change the gameplay by making location of the CV's early a (even more) important  goal (before your missile shooters have died or wasted their shots on something else) and mean that it becomes more critical to keep a fighter cap nearby to try and intercept SSM's. Also something like this might just help balance UK armoured CV's against the US and Japanese classes which tended to maximise air group at the expense of protection.

Dan

Edited by DanLBob

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Thats a 1970's system and a 1980's implementation. A step too far.

Dan

You could use the block 1 alpha variant, pretty much fire down a bearing with seeker head switch on set at a certain flight time, bit like how torps work

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

You could use the block 1 alpha variant, pretty much fire down a bearing with seeker head switch on set at a certain flight time, bit like how torps work

You mean apart from the whole "seeker" bit.

Dan

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Use the Same mechanic, you fire the missle down a bearing (and you only have 1) at say 45 secs the seeker head switches on for 10 secs, if it sees a target it locks on, if not, it ditches.

Make it a blind fire weapon, reload happens after the missle has hit or ditched. Oh, and it has the same chance to be shot down by AA as an aircraft

119 posts
2,071 battles

There is NO way that missiles will end up in this game.

Remember when T10 carriers had early jets instead of prop planes? Completely destroyed the balance and was removed.

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

Use the Same mechanic, you fire the missle down a bearing (and you only have 1) at say 45 secs the seeker head switches on for 10 secs, if it sees a target it locks on, if not, it ditches.

Make it a blind fire weapon, reload happens after the missle has hit or ditched. Oh, and it has the same chance to be shot down by AA as an aircraft

Given that you can pretty much tag the CV location straight away by experience (they always hide in that location) and the routes taken by the aircraft it could be a very powerful tool then. Would certainly make the CV players have to think about deceptive routes. Personally I think it should have a designated target that must have been spotted but it can continue on a bearing if the spot is lost prior to seeker activation. That said the size and flight profile of the Harpoon still makes it very different target from a P15 (SS-N-2) for instance.

Dan
Edited by DanLBob

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,377 battles

Meanwhile I'm thinking of sea mines because sims torpedoes weren't enough :teethhappy:

then we gonna need a new class of ship in the game -> minesweeper