Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Advancer231

Learning The Iowa Way

6 comments in this topic

75 posts
4,782 battles

So I just got an Iowa earlier (and regretfully sold North Carolina CURSE YOU LIMITED PORT SLOTS!) and had a pretty rough day. Seven consecutive losses mostly because the team failed hard or a Shima got the drop on me until a good game later. Anyone have any advice on how to play the Iowa?

And I'd rather not get any of that "don't play it"/"worst battleship" guff like I saw in a few other ship threads. I'd just like some tips and relevant info on how to play Iowa properly.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

slot? isn't there a quest that give free 4 ship and commander slot in honorable quest line?

anyway i just brought Iowa too. i just finish retraining her captain. i have some rough fights, some battle where i didnt do that much.

as for play stile i uses stealth build that flamu recommended

i uses accuracy module over reload. i sneak and ambush boadsiding cruiser and battleship. also shot DD from time to time to help my friendly dd.

her guns are better than NC as the shell travel faster allowing you to hit even dd above 10km. but my problem is penetrating slightly angle IJN BB. for some reason i got bounce or no damage penetration against slightly angled amagi,izumo and yamato. also never show even tiny broadside as for some reason while IJN can bounce lots of shell, iowa and NC can eat lot of damage if show even with slightly broadside.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

My two cents would be don't forget, much like the North Carolina, she's a classed as a fast battleship, so use her speed to reposition quickly if you are getting into a bad situation or assist another flank.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Unless there is a Yamato on your flank, get below 15 km and start clubbing :trollface:. Optimal engagement range is between 7-15km. I don't even use CE on my captain and I do fine. 

OR

Hug the border and go into the enemy's backline (CE required). This is a great way to piss them off.

AND GET THE C HULL ASAP

683 posts
7,358 battles

Never play Iowa, but personally I love it when enemy Iowa showing broadside to my Bismarck/GK guns.

Angled Iowa is a tough nut to crack. Good concealment makes me difficult to continue punishing an Iowa who made mistake if he/she wish to drop out of detection. Very difficult to chase down an Iowa also.

Don't ever sail in straight line. If your spider sense is tingling that an enemy DD is missing and might be near, take precautions.

105 posts
13,284 battles

So I just got an Iowa earlier (and regretfully sold North Carolina CURSE YOU LIMITED PORT SLOTS!) and had a pretty rough day. Seven consecutive losses mostly because the team failed hard or a Shima got the drop on me until a good game later. Anyone have any advice on how to play the Iowa?

And I'd rather not get any of that "don't play it"/"worst battleship" guff like I saw in a few other ship threads. I'd just like some tips and relevant info on how to play Iowa properly.

Run a test first on COOP Battle...practice make you better.

Iowa is better than NC.

Sign in to follow this