Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Leo_1408

Why month, day, year?

32 comments in this topic

76 posts
6,201 battles

Why month, day, year, when only the US uses that - why not day, month year? Like the rest of the world? :amazed:

Thread moved to off-topic.

~amade

Edited by amade

350 posts

Why month, day, year, when only the US uses that - why not day, month year? Like the rest of the world? :amazed:

we use month day year in china too you know

Same here in the Philippines.

76 posts
6,201 battles

The day, month, year is standard in -

Albania
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Bolivia
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada (All 3 main types are used in Canada - in French and in English)
Chile
Colombia
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong (in English)
Iceland
Iran
Ireland
India
Indonesia
Iraq
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kyrgyzstan
Latvia
Libya
Macau (in Portuguese & English)
Malaysia
Mexico
Montenegro
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Pakistan
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines (in Filipino)
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Romania
Russia
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Serbia
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden (although the yyyy-mm-dd form is more common.)
Switzerland
Tajikistan
Thailand (with Buddhist Era instead of Common Era)
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam

But month, day, year (which doesn't make much sense - year, month, day makes more sense)

is standard in -

China (which wasn't on the list I saw) *

Federated States of Micronesia
Palau
Philippines (d/m/yy in Filipino language. May still be found in certain contexts, mm/dd/yy is used in English)
United States

Just wondering why WG, if it isn't an American site, uses such a  non-standard system. :unsure:

* Edit: According to my info, China officially uses the year/month/day format.

Edited by Leo_1408

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

Dude..... Seriously?? Is this that important of a topic??? try talking about game not about the time it displays..... And why is it bothering you so much??? 

this is general discussion lel, people can shitpost/bait thread/ rage and rant here however they want, these isnt really a "importantnes" factor here

76 posts
6,201 battles

this is general discussion lel, people can shitpost/bait thread/ rage and rant here however they want, these isnt really a "importantnes" factor here

Thanks mate! I'm not ranting or anything like that - I come from a family where how you speak and how you spell, and all that stuff is considered very important. So I'm just curious about things like this date thing. It's no biggie, and it's not that important to me, but you will see from my other posts that I'm interested in language. I do Latin and German in class, and it's really interesting. :)

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I like Pie....... Apple Pie xD......:teethhappy: 

Thanks mate! I'm not ranting or anything like that - I come from a family where how you speak and how you spell, and all that stuff is considered very important. So I'm just curious about things like this date thing. It's no biggie, and it's not that important to me, but you will see from my other posts that I'm interested in language. I do Latin and German in class, and it's really interesting. :)

Ahh lol..... So... you are that kind of guy who likes everything to be perfect... Now I'm gonna just joke about it... don't take it personal.....

Kek the people who like pen on a table(work table) at a particular angle and rage if someone displaces it..... 

76 posts
6,201 battles

Ahh lol..... So... you are that kind of guy who likes everything to be perfect... Now I'm gonna just joke about it... don't take it personal.....

Kek the people who like pen on a table(work table) at a particular angle and rage if someone displaces it..... 

Lol - no, you wouldn't say that if you knew the trouble I am always in at the state of my room! But I know the type of person you are talking about.

And no worries - I been on games boards before and I don't take anything personally - unless it's a direct personal attack. :)

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

This is so important I hab to make this thread and complain like hell!

Lel Ikr....

Lol - no, you wouldn't say that if you knew the trouble I am always in at the state of my room! But I know the type of person you are talking about.

And no worries - I been on games boards before and I don't take anything personally - unless it's a direct personal attack. :)

Well you sound like that kind...... who likes thing at an angle and perfect..... 

Ah I see... Ranter about MM/DD/YY..... is this direct attack???

[AE]
200 posts
9,488 battles

Well as far as Micronesia and Philippines go, Americans occupied them to a great degree, so US system. China is interesting. Mind you, they don't use same calander, and have different year system too.

US writes it as they speak it. Just imagine a US commentator "July twenty third, Two thousand five". I actually find the US thing of saying Two thousand five, rather than two thousand and five weirder.

Actually china may not be that weird, as didn't US missionaries travel through there?

Don't forget, the Americans also use pounds, miles per hour, inches and feet. Farentheit is just anyones guess.....

76 posts
6,201 battles

Nah... you are wrong... We here prefer lot of different styles... just saying....

I got that list from the 'net - it was the official format - not what different people preferred. India was one of our colonies, and they used the British style in most of their practices after they got independence.

BTW, it looks a totally cool place - would love to go there one day. :)

2756233095_1dbd1ed8d6_b.jpg

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I got that list from the 'net - it was the official format - not what different people preferred. India was one of our colonies, and they used the British style in most of their practices after they got independence.

BTW, it looks a totally cool place - would love to go there one day. :)

Everything on the net is not true...... So you wanna talk about history?? Sigh... bunch of backstabbers....

76 posts
6,201 battles

This is so important I hab to make this thread and complain like hell!

Where in my OP was a complaint of any kind? If you want to pick a fight, let's do it in the game where we can have some fun, but since when was asking a question about something you don't understand 'complaining like hell'? Oh, and don't mistake being polite for being a total wuss that everybody can push around!

76 posts
6,201 battles

Everything on the net is not true...... So you wanna talk about history?? Sigh... bunch of backstabbers....

Yeh, I'll talk about history if you want to - and who you calling a backstabber?

350 posts

Settle down, everyone. The last thing we need is launched red crayons so please let's keep it civil. Also, this is not the proper place to bring up our respective countries' past grudges as there are other forums dedicated for that subject.

@ topic - isn't Amade's post (YYYY-MM-DD) the format used in government forms or was it used in programming?

76 posts
6,201 battles

Settle down, everyone. The last thing we need is launched red crayons so please let's keep it civil. Also, this is not the proper place to bring up our respective countries' past grudges as there are other forums dedicated for that subject.

@ topic - isn't Amade's post (YYYY-MM-DD) the format used in government forms or was it used in programming?

Lol, I love the picture of launched red crayons, but I'm 14 you know - not a pre-schooler. :teethhappy:

I don't want to fight, but I'm just trying to get across that I'm not complaining. I don't know everything and I learn loads on boards like this. I don't know what that guy from India is on about, but I wasn't have a go at him or his country. And I don't like pile-ons. If people are not interested in a topic they don't have to read or respond to it - there's no reason to get nasty or sarky.:rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this